Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Oct 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #946 of 2,336

Quote:
You know I was Joking, right?

I used  AZ for Auschwitz, those are the Auschwitz 1000's.  the PIC is of a concentration camp guard from Auschwitz being charged at the Nuremberg Trials.

I always think of Grados as throwbacks to the 30's and 40's

No, I didn't. :-D
I'm so gullible it is unreal.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #950 of 2,336
I'd guess that the more metal in the headphone, the more damping you get, with consequently better sound.  If you listen at quiet volumes, I'll take a bet that a modded SR-60 wouldn't sound that different from the full mod.  If you listen loud, I'll bet it would be more significantly different.  This is entirely speculation, however.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #951 of 2,336

Quote:
Any advice on what model Grado to turn into a Magnum?

SR-60 because it's the cheapest? SR-225 apparently has metal mesh, which Rhydon likes. Any thoughts?

I opened my MS2i Magnums to have look inside. There's a coating on the inside cup. Presumably for resonance control or damping. Anyone else notice these on stock metal-cup Grados.

I'd go with the Ms2 or SR325. These are the Magnums that Rhydon originally wanted to mod until someone asked if he could mod the plastic series (he said yes).

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #952 of 2,336
Thanks for the advice shawn and currawong (also got some advice via twitter from curra
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I decided to get the Magnum with the 325is! The big sticking point to me was that the headband is better on the 325 vs the 225 and lower. It's not as good as RS-1/2 headband apparently but still better. I know I could mod it later but this is easier for me now. And the aluminum structure will sound better
biggrin.gif
(I know it's not full aluminum but more than the 225i).

Hoping to have it soon. I'll post up some thoughts when I get it. My hp's I've had for comparison are HF-2, K702, JH-13, DT880, SM3, ER-4P, PX100-II. Will be running this through a Pico DAC + Sheer Audio HA-006++ setup.

Quote:

I opened my MS2i Magnums to have look inside. There's a coating on the inside cup. Presumably for resonance control or damping. Anyone else notice these on stock metal-cup Grados.

I'd go with the Ms2 or SR325. These are the Magnums that Rhydon originally wanted to mod until someone asked if he could mod the plastic series (he said yes).

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #953 of 2,336
Just put my order in for the full mod on on a pair of SR325is.
The expected ship date is late November.
I am looking forward to find out how they perform against other Grados past and present.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #957 of 2,336
I've been spending most of my listening time with speakers lately, so haven't been following much. My take on the V2 is that it is just about as detailed as the V1. The V1 is clearer only because it doesn't have as much bass presence and relatively brightness may account for "perceived" detail. Either version of the Magnum (V1, V2) is still a class above the RS1i, however and IMO. I also cannot give a final opinion on V1 vs. V2 because I had the APS V3 cable on the V1 for the most part and I am still using stock Grado cable on the V2. I haven't found the urge to switch cables yet...

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #958 of 2,336
Is the treble tamed from the stock version with this mod?  It seems like that would be the whole point but my understanding is that it's an upgrade to the stock sound, but not a different sound signature after modding.  Is that right?

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #959 of 2,336
The treble is tamer and there is significantly more bass with the v2.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #960 of 2,336
Not sure if Rythmdevils was referring to the difference between Magnum modded Grado and stock Grado, or V1 and V2. 
I am most interested in finding out how "Gradoish" the phones will be after the mod, since the drivers are not Grado drivers anymore. Hopfully I will have an answer in a few weeks' time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back