Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Oct 2, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #933 of 2,336
Regal: I think they are as worthy of hype as the LCD-2s are, but so many people would end up using them with cheap gear and not get it. I think the RS2 comparison with the v1s had to do with this as they probably weren't that different tonally, if at all.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #935 of 2,336

Quote:
Would the Magnums be worth a listen specially comparing them to the Reference series and above.

Well the MS-Pros are basically a ReferenceSeries-1 and the Magnums blow them away.  However as Currawong mentioned you do need a great amp otherwise you really won't get the main benefits.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #936 of 2,336

Quote:

[size=10pt]Also the last email I got from him suggests he is only doing magnum lite mods and very few full magnum mods,  those with the full magnum mods are sitting on a future goldmine.[/size]

I do hope that he keeps the business going and wish him all the best.
I have been following the thread and considering pulling the trigger. All the delays and changes of drivers scared me off a little. Now it seems that I have missed the chance. :frowning2:
Your comments about them being much better the RS1 made me really want to hear them myself. Shootout between them and HP1000 would be interesting. Has anyone tried?

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #937 of 2,336

Quote:
I
Your comments about them being much better the RS1 made me really want to hear them myself.

I was following the thread as well,  for me it was curiousity and I got a hell of a deal on a used pair.  I imagine if I went thru all the waits and recalls of the original buyers I would have been a little cool to them,  at this point they are highly underrated due to launch troubles.  You may be able to find a used pair for sale from someone who doesn't like the sound of them out of an ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #938 of 2,336

Quote:
I was following the thread as well,  for me it was curiousity and I got a hell of a deal on a used pair.  I imagine if I went thru all the waits and recalls of the original buyers I would have been a little cool to them,  at this point they are highly underrated due to launch troubles.  You may be able to find a used pair for sale from someone who doesn't like the sound of them out of an ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

That is interesting,if only they were are admirable as the Reference series.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #939 of 2,336
I'm still burning the V2s in. But the bass is still quite...overpowering using the bowls. I have comfies I might try on later.

Still, the midrange manages to still be quite good and present over the bass.

The B22 amp gives it plenty of power/juice. On the Alps Black Beauty, I don't even get past 8pm and it gets insane (DAC is the Devilsound DAC).

Jury is still out. Tinnitus is stopping me from doing comparisons with other cans. That and my current fascination with the HD800s...

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #941 of 2,336
I don't think so.

When they first came out with headphones, I went and listened to them and they were open.  I thought they were goofy looking, and were terribly uncomfortable.  Here's a PIC of me auditioning that first set:

I bought STAX at the time.

Now 25 years or so later, I've got a crapload of Grados...

Am I going Backwards?

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #942 of 2,336

Quote:
I don't think so.

When they first came out with headphones, I went and listened to them and they were open.  I thought they were goofy looking, and were terribly uncomfortable.  Here's a PIC of me auditioning that first set:

I bought STAX at the time.

Now 25 years or so later, I've got a crapload of Grados...

Am I going Backwards?

What model were you wearing? Something before HP1000?

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #944 of 2,336

Quote:
Those were the AZ-1000s.  A precursor to the PS-1.  They were another German Market Limited Special Edition...

Thanks!
That would have happed about 5 years before John took over the company. They were Joe's headphones then.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #945 of 2,336
You know I was Joking, right?

I used  AZ for Auschwitz, those are the Auschwitz 1000's.  the PIC is of a concentration camp guard from Auschwitz being charged at the Nuremberg Trials.

I always think of Grados as throwbacks to the 30's and 40's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back