Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Apr 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #606 of 2,336
I had the 80i Magnum Lite and I was very excited about getting them before they came. I wanted to really like them. I even wanted to get it woodied. But it didn't take me long to know it wasn't for me. I've had enough Grados (yes I know the drivers are different) to know that even with burn in that I wasn't goin't to keep them. So with less than two hours on the drivers I offered them to someone else. They also sold them quickly.

I will say the Magnum Lite seemed well made. The work and attention to detail appears top notch. The detail was excellent for a Grado. Not quite on par with the 70x. I felt they sounded too thin to me even when compared to the AKG and certainly not nearly as full sounding as my HF-2 and other Grados. Even the 80i from which it my headphone was derived. The sound sig was not what I had hoped.

Peace,

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #607 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 80i Magnum Lite and I was very excited about getting them before they came. I wanted to really like them. I even wanted to get it woodied. But it didn't take me long to know it wasn't for me. I've had enough Grados (yes I know the drivers are different) to know that even with burn in that I wasn't goin't to keep them. So with less than two hours on the drivers I offered them to someone else. They also sold them quickly.

I will say the Magnum Lite seemed well made. The work and attention to detail appears top notch. The detail was excellent for a Grado. Not quite on par with the 70x. I felt they sounded too thin to me even when compared to the AKG and certainly not nearly as full sounding as my HF-2 and other Grados. Even the 80i from which it my headphone was derived. The sound sig was not what I had hoped.

Peace,

Thanks for that testimony!!

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #608 of 2,336
definitely appreciate it. i suspected that if the Magnum shares a similar sound signature to the already bright 325i, it would be a turn off for certain people

out of curiosity, whats the general consensus with amp synergy thus far? Does it fall under the Grados+tubes = bliss formula?

I plan on returning to Grado headphones, but I'm considering purchasing a Protector and balancing the headphones in hopes of giving the Grados a greater soundstage and focus

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #609 of 2,336
i know this is the wrong thread but i need a pair of original ms2 drivers badly
frown.gif

PM me if you want to sell your original pair after doing the Magnum mod

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #610 of 2,336
Perhaps this was an amp mismatch? They don't sound thin at all with my Cary amp. I think I have the magnums that you sold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Peace,

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #612 of 2,336
I own a fair few Grados. HF1, HF2, Rs2, Gs1ki.

Have also heard the Sr80, 325i, Ms1.

These are probably more neutral than all the Grados listed.

I've found them to have good resolution, a medium sort of soundstage (wider than the Sr and on par with Rs2 but not as wide as the Gs1k). It has excellent clarity, seperation and isn't bass bloated. Bass has punch but doesn't kick that deep.

The HF2 sounds too bloated in comparison. Bass is just not too controlled.

I'd love to see some Headroom frequency charts on these!

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #613 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely appreciate it. i suspected that if the Magnum shares a similar sound signature to the already bright 325i, it would be a turn off for certain people

out of curiosity, whats the general consensus with amp synergy thus far? Does it fall under the Grados+tubes = bliss formula?

I plan on returning to Grado headphones, but I'm considering purchasing a Protector and balancing the headphones in hopes of giving the Grados a greater soundstage and focus

To relieve thinness, you could try: tube amp, re-cable, or experiment with crossfeed setting/resampling.

I think a tube amp and experiment rolling different tubes would be your best bet. The APS cable I have installed added a bit of warmth/texture too without sacrificing detail.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #614 of 2,336
Shawn: Since Tyll has left (been kicked out of?) Headroom and built his own headphone testing box, there's no reason he couldn't test a pair, if he is willing to do so, but I don't think he built the box just to have it sit idly...

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #615 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shawn: Since Tyll has left (been kicked out of?) Headroom and built his own headphone testing box, there's no reason he couldn't test a pair, if he is willing to do so, but I don't think he built the box just to have it sit idly...

What's the best way to contact Tyll?

Hey Currawong, when will your review be up? I'm itching to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back