Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Mar 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #571 of 2,336
I hope these will come as a standalone solution
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #572 of 2,336
Now that I have a MS-2i to 'spare', I am finding this Magnum Lite mod VERY tempting. As per many others' comment, I will continue to let the praise, etc. roll in, before making a final decision. When is the next batch due?

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #573 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanrocks321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i can say that they are a clear improvement between the sr325is and the magnum. magnum appear to be much faster and present everything much cleaner than the stock. In fact the magnum may be the fastest grado ever. The bass is much better, much more punchy, less bloated, and the treble is not harsh as the stock, but still very exciting.

Well, that is how I am kind of feeling about them as well, I just wanted some similar response (and comparo) before I posted. They do seem cleaner as you state (more refined is the word maybe). I still wish for a little more warmth as I do a lot of acoustic vocal oriented music but the detail is impressive (as it is with the stock Grado as well).
If you have some older Grado's lying around (or got some good used ones on the cheap as I did), it seems like a good move to try the Lite upgrade (I don't care about looks, only function).

PS: I never found the treble harsh on my 325is or original MS-2i but I did find the bass and little unrefined and it does seem tighter now.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #574 of 2,336
Quote:

I would confidently place them above RS1 (i have the "classic" on but i can compare them to vintage B in few days). The RS1 dose female vocals better though. but overall the Magnum are wonderful. I think Rhydon has put a lot of hardwork into these and for 200 for lite magnum mod is a steal. I cant wait to get to compare them to the HP later today or tomorrow.

Compared to my RS2i, I find the Magnums to be just somewhat different. Very similar sounding indeed. I give them equal status actually. I listened to the Magnums exclusively over the last month or so and was really enjoying them. Out of curiosity I took out my RS2i's that I had boxed away for a while. The Magnums were sounding so nice I thought they'd moved forward with some burn-in. Not so. The similarities remained the same and to tell the truth, my heart was swinging towards the RS2i.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #575 of 2,336
Looks like Larry won't be vixening the magnums...I have no idea why though? I was seriously considering them...and a little harsh reply I got from him
frown.gif
Maybe I asked him too many questions in a day? I just don't quite understand why he wouldn't try it since I believe he does Vixen other drivers

Heres the email between us:
Larry,

More curiosity on the way...would you ever consider doing the Vixen mod on Rhydon's magnum driver? What do you reckon the effects would be like?

Thanks for everything and answering all my questions.

Reply from Larry:

Not a chance in xxxx... no more questions like that please.

Cheers, Larry

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #576 of 2,336
I assume that Larry doesn't want to compete with Rhydon, or take the wind out of his sails, at least. Still, a rather odd, unhelpful comment to make about a reasonable and interesting question. Soggy Cheerios, Larry!
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #577 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like Larry won't be vixening the magnums...I have no idea why though? I was seriously considering them...and a little harsh reply I got from him
frown.gif
Maybe I asked him too many questions in a day? I just don't quite understand why he wouldn't try it since I believe he does Vixen other drivers

Larry,

More curiosity on the way...would you ever consider doing the Vixen mod on Rhydon's magnum driver? What do you reckon the effects would be like?

Reply from Larry:

Cheers, Larry

Larry wouldn't mod a set of headphones of mine because they had a Jmoney headband on them. He also let me know what he thought of anybody "ripping him off" ala Jeremy at JMoney. He feels that any modders are jumping on his deal. I've had some interesting conversations with him.

Total Jerk IMO.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #578 of 2,336
Here are some impressions i got comparing the magnums to RS1 (classic), HF2, HP2, SR325is, SR325 (HP drivers). All comparisons were done using the same source, and amp.

Magnum VS SR325is:
Magnums much more detailed, and are alot less harsh on the treble than the stock. However Magnum are still have a emphasis on treble, this may or may not be the cause of my perceived increase in detail and speed during transitions. The bass is improved greatly less bloated and more tighter than before. The midrange seems to be more neutral than modern grado's. These were both compared using bowls.

Magnums VS RS1 (classic):
RS1 still are the best Grado for vocals especially female vocals. Comparing the two I found the RS1 more veiled and much more colored than the Magnum. Both share a focus on treble but, yet the Magnum extends nicely on higher frequencies. The RS1 seem to have a bump and then a more substantial decay in the very high frequencies. The sound-stage and imaging also seem to be better for the Magnums. Magnum here had bowls while RS1 had quarter modded S-crush.

Magnum VS HF2:
HF2 and Magnum seem to share many things in common. There are some big diffrences though, the HF2 seems to have more depth but has about the same tightness of the Magnum. Because the magnum are more treble focused I was able to pickup more details easier as long as they were treble ranged details. The HF2 do sound more full while the Magnum at times sounded a little bit more thin. Both were compared with bowls.

Magnum VS SR325 (HP drivers):
Magnum has the same kinds of differences in bass depth like with the HF2. Except this difference is more pronounced with the SR325 (HP drivers). Magnums also are starting to lack in its relative effectiveness in revealing lower mid and lower frequency details. But seems to excel in the higher ranges. I found the SR325 more balanced and neutral than the magnums. Also male vocals seemed more forced/artificial on the magnums. Magnums with bowls and SR325 with flats used.

Magnum VS HP2:
Things get interesting here, found similar results as the SR325 (HP drivers) and Magnum comparison, but once flats were used on both it was a whole different story for me. The difference between the two decreased in substantial ways. The depth and easy of picking up lower range details improved to match up better with the Magnums ability with treble range details. The HP2 does vocals more naturally, and the Magnums have more bass and treble. I think the HP2 still has better overall detail, and still more natural sounding than the Magnum.

Some other thoughts:
magnum with flats are good. there like more treble focused versions of the old school grado's.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #580 of 2,336
Quote:

[...]

Magnum VS HP2:
Things get interesting here, found similar results as the SR325 (HP drivers) and Magnum comparison, but once flats were used on both it was a whole different story for me. The difference between the two decreased in substantial ways. The depth and easy of picking up lower range details improved to match up better with the Magnums ability with treble range details. The HP2 does vocals more naturally, and the Magnums have more bass and treble. I think the HP2 still has better overall detail, and still more natural sounding than the Magnum.

Some other thoughts:
magnum with flats are good. there like more treble focused versions of the old school grado's.

Would like more detailed impressions of Magnum vs HP2, both with flats.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #582 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Larry,

Reply from Larry:

Cheers, Larry

Guess I'll go through J$ for all my woody needs then. What a jerk.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #584 of 2,336
Some questions and speculations.

I received my Magnum Lite MS2is. Burning in but what little I've heard sounds good. It has been burning in over 15 hours now. Instrument seperation, clarity is great. Soundstage seems to be smaller than the RS2 (which has a certain airiness)...I popped on the jumbos from my GS1ki and the soundstage improved: overall less cramped and direct.

The bass still needs to settle down though. The deep extensions aren't being handled very well...lots if resonance that overwhelms other instruments and vocals.

Reading over these threads and also what Rhydon previously posted in the past, I've got some thoughts and questions.

1) The first batch of Magnums used the stock SR325/MS2 drivers. Rhydon then doped/coated them.

2) Current batches use Rhydon's own drivers (which he has sourced). Your stock drivers get returned.

This makes me wonder:

1) Will the initial Magnums sound different from the current batches using DIFFERENT drivers?

2) If so, then it would seem that Rhydon has found a supplier of 'Grado'-like drivers. This brings me to the interesting thread where people were debating as to whether Grado made their own drivers or ordered them from a third-party.

In several threads, Rhydon mentions that he contacted the original makers of the Grado HP drivers (DH-40 by Primo/Primoic in Singapore). He also purchased a batch of later DH-59 drivers and said they were inferior to the DH-40.

Speculations anyone?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #585 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn_low /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In several threads, Rhydon mentions that he contacted the original makers of the Grado HP drivers (DH-40 by Primo/Primoic in Singapore). He also purchased a batch of later DH-59 drivers and said they were inferior to the DH-40.

Speculations anyone?

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back