Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Mar 26, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #587 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn_low /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some questions and speculations.

I received my Magnum Lite MS2is. Burning in but what little I've heard sounds good. It has been burning in over 15 hours now. Instrument seperation, clarity is great. Soundstage seems to be smaller than the RS2 (which has a certain airiness)...I popped on the jumbos from my GS1ki and the soundstage improved: overall less cramped and direct.

The bass still needs to settle down though. The deep extensions aren't being handled very well...lots if resonance that overwhelms other instruments and vocals.

Reading over these threads and also what Rhydon previously posted in the past, I've got some thoughts and questions.

1) The first batch of Magnums used the stock SR325/MS2 drivers. Rhydon then doped/coated them.

2) Current batches use Rhydon's own drivers (which he has sourced). Your stock drivers get returned.

This makes me wonder:

1) Will the initial Magnums sound different from the current batches using DIFFERENT drivers?

2) If so, then it would seem that Rhydon has found a supplier of 'Grado'-like drivers. This brings me to the interesting thread where people were debating as to whether Grado made their own drivers or ordered them from a third-party.

In several threads, Rhydon mentions that he contacted the original makers of the Grado HP drivers (DH-40 by Primo/Primoic in Singapore). He also purchased a batch of later DH-59 drivers and said they were inferior to the DH-40.

Speculations anyone?

not all 1st batch drivers are stock drivers. my stock drivers were returned to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of your stock drivers were modified. We had learned our lesson and decided to stay ahead of the curb on this one. We modified drivers from our stock.

all current production Magnum drivers should be V1 and identical.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #589 of 2,336
Quote:

1) The first batch of Magnums used the stock SR325/MS2 drivers. Rhydon then doped/coated them.

2) Current batches use Rhydon's own drivers (which he has sourced). Your stock drivers get returned.

Speculations anyone?

This is wrong. All Magnums were intended to use Rhydon's modified drivers. Myself and possibly others, when Rhydon kept delaying and delaying the first batch due to driver coating issues requested our headphones with the stock drivers, with the coated/modified drivers to be sent at a later date. Usefully my paranoia allowed me to compare the stock drivers with the modified ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanrocks321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some impressions i got comparing the magnums to RS1 (classic), HF2, HP2, SR325is, SR325 (HP drivers). All comparisons were done using the same source, and amp.

Great stuff. I've only been able to compare the Magnums to the HF-1 and HF-2. I agree they are great with flats too. Let us know how you feel about them once you've (had) built your Beta 22 as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #590 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is wrong. All Magnums were intended to use Rhydon's modified drivers. Myself and possibly others, when Rhydon kept delaying and delaying the first batch due to driver coating issues requested our headphones with the stock drivers, with the coated/modified drivers to be sent at a later date. Usefully my paranoia allowed me to compare the stock drivers with the modified ones.

Care to share your impressions?

Also, thanks for clarifying that the 1st batch of Magnums also used Rhydon's custom drivers.

Which also leads back to my speculative question:

1) Does Grado manufacture their own drivers?
2) If not, did Rhydon source some drivers from the same factory?
3) If so, where did Rhydon get his drivers anyway? Did he contact Grado's original HP driver manufacturer and ask for a batch to be made up?

I would love to hear more about the design philosophy behind the Magnums.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #591 of 2,336
Quote:

Care to share your impressions?

Also, thanks for clarifying that the 1st batch of Magnums also used Rhydon's custom drivers.

Which also leads back to my speculative question:

1) Does Grado manufacture their own drivers?
2) If not, did Rhydon source some drivers from the same factory?
3) If so, where did Rhydon get his drivers anyway? Did he contact Grado's original HP driver manufacturer and ask for a batch to be made up?

I would love to hear more about the design philosophy behind the Magnums.

Thanks!

In business, that is known as a trade secret. I'm afraid no one will know the answer to that besides Grado and Rhydon himself.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #592 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In business, that is known as a trade secret. I'm afraid no one will know the answer to that besides Grado and Rhydon himself.

Hey, one can speculate no?
wink_face.gif

Rhydon was fairly vocal when it came to commenting on the thread where people were speculating whether the Grado drivers were made inhouse or not. Thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/grado-drivers-269488/

In some of the pictures that Rhydon has shown, I recall his drivers being kept in plastic trays similar to how Grado stores them. In the thread this is what Rhydon said:

Quote:

'4) EdT is correct, those driver trays are a dead giveaway. Where would Grado manufacture these? Better yet, why would Grado speed thousands of dollars to manufacture these? Common, those are shipping crates designed to protect a specific product.'

I can understand if Rhydon doesn't want to comment about the source of his drivers.

What I would like to know is the design philosophy behind the Magnums. There was mention of it being inspired (for lack of a better work) by the HP series. Is this true?

Rhydon has also previously said that two phones he will never let go are the HP-2 and MS2i. He also said commented on materials used in constructions (HP series are all-aluminium).

I'd love to see how he improved upon the MS2i etc.

I'm curious is all. Being from Singapore, I might give Primo/Primomic a call to try to dig a little bit.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #593 of 2,336
Quote:

Hey, one can speculate no?
wink_face.gif

Rhydon was fairly vocal when it came to commenting on the thread where people were speculating whether the Grado drivers were made inhouse or not. Thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/grado-drivers-269488/

In some of the pictures that Rhydon has shown, I recall his drivers being kept in plastic trays similar to how Grado stores them. In the thread this is what Rhydon said:

I can understand if Rhydon doesn't want to comment about the source of his drivers.

What I would like to know is the design philosophy behind the Magnums. There was mention of it being inspired (for lack of a better work) by the HP series. Is this true?

Rhydon has also previously said that two phones he will never let go are the HP-2 and MS2i. He also said commented on materials used in constructions (HP series are all-aluminium).

I'd love to see how he improved upon the MS2i etc.

I'm curious is all. Being from Singapore, I might give Primo/Primomic a call to try to dig a little bit.

One of my all time Favorite Epoch HF threads. I haven't read it in a while and didn't remember Rhydon being so active in the thread. Very Interesting and the Magnum means Rhydon was spot on in that thread, n'est-ce pas?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #594 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my all time Favorite Epoch HF threads. I haven't read it in a while and didn't remember Rhydon being so active in the thread. Very Interesting and the Magnum means Rhydon was spot on in that thread, n'est-ce pas?

Looking over Rhydon's posts, one can see his keen interest in Grado headphones. He has, I believe, dissected them to death. He's compared audio profiles, construction, etc.

The result of 'three years' of research and this is what I can glean from his sales material:

Quote:

Our goal is to provide convincing reference products at affordable prices. This task is not easy and in order to succeed we have pioneered a new method of manufacturing. Our process involves using already-existing designs and models as a starting point- then, with proven engineering know-how, we develop from the ground up, new technologies, materials, and processes to create our vision of a truly reference design.

Quote:

...the Magnum enhancement applies Symphones’ research to enhance three vital elements of headphone architecture – sound chamber, driver and baffle

So, below is what I've derived using Rhydon's own words and terms from his website. Note that the website is also incorrect in saying that he reuses the stock Grado drivers.

Sound chamber: ALL aluminium like the HP series. Rhydon believes that this makes a difference to overall sound signature. Current range Grado chambers are either all-wood (GS1k, RS1, RS2) or plastic. Can anyone confirm whether the PS1k plastic in the chamber?

Driver: ALL new driver source and probably modded/doped by Rhydon. Looking into the driver through the grilles, it looks like there's some coating over the back.

Baffle: Glass-reinforced polymer. No 'sonic colouration of plastic' (wonder if using aluminium will make a difference since aluminium has good 'resonance control')

Having said that, I have been using the Magnum MS2i. The weight sits rather uncomfortably (compared with the GS1ki, HF2, HF1 and RS2) but I'm liking what I'm hearing.

I wish I had a HP series to compare the cans with.

A quick direct comparison with the HF2: vocals on the HF2 were more recessed. Instrument separation on the Magnum MS2i was better. Using jumbos on the Magnum MS2i, the soundstage and vocals became closer to the stock HF2.

Magnums have only have maybe 20-30 hours on them.

More impressions soon.

Don't get me wrong, I think that $199 for the Lite mod is worth every cent!

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #595 of 2,336
shawn: The Magnum drivers are distinctly more detailed across the spectrum. I'm writing up my impressions into a review, before you ask any more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #596 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shawn: The Magnum drivers are distinctly more detailed across the spectrum. I'm writing up my impressions into a review, before you ask any more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Currawong, I can't wait! Hope to get some comparisons to existing Grado headphones. So far, I'm liking it. I think that it's really good value for $199. From preliminary listening, I've found it far more detailed than the HF2s (but not as much as the GS1ki).

The thing is: should we even consider the Magnums a 'Grado'? Since it uses a completely different driver (albeit in a Grado shell).

If not, what should we compare it with since Rhydon hasn't given us any details about his design intentions (aside from creating a reference-standard headphones).

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #597 of 2,336
I just received a pair of Magnum Lites I bought from gknix.

One thing is immediately clear: It's an absolute steal for $199.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #598 of 2,336
So after a few days they still sound very very good. The Magnums have bucket loads of detail, in some ways they resemble the SR-X mkiii pro except the sr-X pro manages to be even more upfront and have even more detail.

So far, these are the best Grados I have heard (if you consider them as Grados). I prefer them to the HF-1, HF-2, GS-1000. The only one that might be better is the vintage RS-1 that I had before. I must admit that I had my doubts about the whole idea initially but Rhydon definitely deserves a pat on the back.

I can't wait to get my flats from TTVJ. I'm currently using reverse quarter-modded comfies and it's almost like using no pads at all -- very painful.

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #600 of 2,336
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the $199 get you the Rhydon drivers?

Yes.

You send in any SR series or MS1 or 2 to Rhydon and he replaces the stock drivers with his own sourced and doped version. You also get aluminium chambers (the driver is housed in a full alumnium chamber). No cups.

You get your original drivers back.

For $399, you get the above plus custom aluminium gimbals, post etc.

The $199 'lite' mod is better value IMHO.

There's a lite MS2i for sale for $385 now. It's a steal. MS2i are $299 new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back