Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,592 of 2,336

I'm presenting you the luxurious new Symphones Magnum Version 4.0 (Canadian Product Heh!)

I can guaranty you that I will have the best sounding SR-60i for a little while (Until I received my custom cups from Martin). Cheers! and thank you Rhydon!

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #1,594 of 2,336

Quote:
custom made aluminum inserts? very nice! how much do those cost?

the Magnum upgrade has come a long way, very exciting!

They are from Symphones the makers of the Magnum drivers and cost $120. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,595 of 2,336
Twinster,
Very cool looking!!
I'm not so lucky, Rhydon previously told me that my V4 will be sent out Oct 28. Yesterday he said he needs another 2 weeks.....
triportsad.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,596 of 2,336

Quote:
Twinster,
Very cool looking!!
I'm not so lucky, Rhydon previously told me that my V4 will be sent out Oct 28. Yesterday he said he needs another 2 weeks.....
triportsad.gif

Are you getting they full Magnum mod?  by the way I'm still enjoying the MS-Pro & looking forward on comparing the Magnum base to them.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,597 of 2,336
Dear Twinster,
    Which model of Grado or Alessandro can be modified to the Magnum 4?
    Which model is supposed to have the best result?  Grado 325 i or Alessandro MS2i
or not much diffeences?

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,599 of 2,336

Quote:
Dear Twinster,
    Which model of Grado or Alessandro can be modified to the Magnum 4?
    Which model is supposed to have the best result?  Grado 325 i or Alessandro MS2i
or not much diffeences?

For the full Magnum option you can use the SR-325is or MS2i and the result should be very close because the drivers are replace by the Magnum drivers on both case. The only difference would be the MS2i doesn't have a button like the SR-325is. I'm not sure if Rhydon add his signature button.

I'm not sure if Symphones still offer the Magnum Lite option but basically you can use any Grado SR-xxi model to get the drivers & Aluminum chamber install.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,600 of 2,336

Quote:
Do you have to contact Rhydon directly for this price and option?

Hey Alpha. Yes you can contact Rhydon via pm and ask him about the cost for his options. The drivers are $120 and same for the chambers.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,601 of 2,336
Quote:
Are you getting they full Magnum mod?  by the way I'm still enjoying the MS-Pro & looking forward on comparing the Magnum base to them.

Yeah, the full $399. I bought a new MS2 and sent to Rhydon back in September just for this Magnum upgrade. Hope it's worth the time and money....
And I'm glad you're enjoying the MS Pro
happy_face1.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #1,602 of 2,336
Anyone try to Magnums with G-Cushion (salad bowls)?  I know for Grado RS1i, it's way to bright and even with the HF-2 I found it bright.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,603 of 2,336
If you thought it was too bright with the HF-2's you will think it bright with the Magnum.
However, I do not find that the Magnum's are bright as such, instead I would say they are airy. The higher frequencies do not sizzle like they do with most Grados (HF-2) therefore I do not find the Magnum's as fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.
For me where the G-cush pads change the sound is in the lower frequencies both on the HF-2 and the Magnum. It seems that by moving the drivers further and by creating a larger chamber the bass becomes more recessed therefore emphasizing the treble. That is why they become "too bright". However in exchange you get a larger soundstage. 
Because I listen either through the arrow 3G portable or a vintage amp, my easy solution is is too add some bass and tune down the treble, which maintains the sound sig. with the regular bowls and gives more soundstage. If I listen with my tube amp (LF339) I do prefer the standard pads.

Quote:
Anyone try to Magnums with G-Cushion (salad bowls)?  I know for Grado RS1i, it's way to bright and even with the HF-2 I found it bright.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,604 of 2,336
Thanks for your input.  I sounds like a no go. 

Quote:
If you thought it was too bright with the HF-2's you will think it bright with the Magnum.
However, I do not find that the Magnum's are bright as such, instead I would say they are airy. The higher frequencies do not sizzle like they do with most Grados (HF-2) therefore I do not find the Magnum's as fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.
For me where the G-cush pads change the sound is in the lower frequencies both on the HF-2 and the Magnum. It seems that by moving the drivers further and by creating a larger chamber the bass becomes more recessed therefore emphasizing the treble. That is why they become "too bright". However in exchange you get a larger soundstage. 
Because I listen either through the arrow 3G portable or a vintage amp, my easy solution is is too add some bass and tune down the treble, which maintains the sound sig. with the regular bowls and gives more soundstage. If I listen with my tube amp (LF339) I do prefer the standard pads.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #1,605 of 2,336

Quote:
my impressions relatively the Magnum version 3.5  balanced with moon-audio black dragon v2 and used with ttvj flat pads
My set-up
Source: Denon DVD AU-1D
Amplifier: Balanced BETA22(gain 8X)
Ic: Moon-Audio Black Dragon
Power cables: Atelier Audio(handcrafted in Lisbon)
music: rock, pop and jazz(no classical)
My old headphones: Ultrasone Ed.10 Sennheiser: hd-650, hd-800, Rudistor chroma, Akg K-1000, Beyerdynamic T1, Jvc dx-1000, grado hf-2, ps-1000, hp-1000, Audeze Lcd-2
of course there will always be a reference to the hp-1000 due to the similarity of the two headphones

POSITIVE ASPECTS

Quality construction: well done, rhydon.
the headphone is solid with a good assembly.
from this point of view i consider the magnum superior compared to the hp-1000.
the hp-1000 have many pieces that unscrew, the magnum is like only one piece.

The sound(the best part): i really love the sound of the magnum.
the mids are spectacular, the voice are sweet and the singer is put on the first floor but without hiding the rest of instrument.
the bass is present, powerful, fast and articulate.
the high don´t suffer the metallicity that characterizes the ps-1000 and the hp-1000.
the sound stage is not at the level of the hd-800, for eample, but is decent.
this is a detail that does not interest me much.
with the bowls pads the headstage improves, the sound worse losing body
im´sorry because i´m not a good reviewer and i don´t speak english but the sound of the magnum classifies this headphone in the"audiophile" section

NEGATIVE ASPECTS

The box: is very small; enters only the headphone without the pads.
was easier and cheaper to put a symphones sticker in a grado pizza box
biggrin.gif

Commercial aspect: situation resolved

Conclusion: if you have an old 325 go to the magnum, no doubt.
with a low cost, you have in the head a great headphone.

i have listed my post because when i bought my magnum, is arrived with some damages in one gymbal and in one grado cup.
for the grado cup, rhydon could not to anything.
but today i received from symphones(and rhydon, of course) one new gymbal and one pair of the new drivers V4.0.
i  only paid the shipping cost.
with this gesture, i consider permanently rhydon a very good person.
i really appreciated what he did.
thank you rhydon.
V3.5 versus V4.0 soon
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back