Sub200$ IEM with best value [ RE262; HF5; GR07; GR01; X10i; TF10; Custom CE & more]
Sep 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
If you need to listen in really noisy places, you're going to be disappointed and deaf with RE262, GR07, TF10, and all other large, plasticky, chunky IEMs. They may sound great but they won't seal as well as a slender IEM like GR01, HF5, or R-50/B2 can. And the custom from CE would isolate the best of all and really save your hearing.

As for your preferred signature of punchy; detailed; bass-present; this would be an area for TF10, GR07, and possibly the custom CE IEM. All the others like GR01, HF5, R-50, X10, B2, RE262, etc. won't give you a fat low end -- though they still could sound great to you, if you're not totally sure how much low-end you like.

I'm already almost deaf so it's not big deal xD
Seriously, that's the why i thinked the HF5. I don't exactly know the benefits of a triple BA driver(one for high, one for mid, one for low, i guess) , but i only know that with customs i should get only 2 of them ( low + mid & high ? ), even if this is compensated by almost perfect isolation, after all.
Anyway, i've to find an audiologist near me, too.

Maybe it's better for custom to wait until i can buy at least an hybrid ( dynamic driver + 1 or 2 BA driver ), non?

Btw, i know it's not the same, but with a CAL! straight out from ipodtouch4, flat, bass aren't enough for me. With the FiiO E6 amp and preset it's perfect.
Quote:
For me the GR01 has just the right amount of bass. I never find it bass light, but i never find it bass heavy either. I think it is the perfect quantity for rock and metal. Its fast, tight, and punchy and can still dig fairly deep when needed. Its actually quite surprising how much bass they put out when you consider the size of them, they are very tiny. I actually sometimes also listen to electronic music with them as well and its still quite enjoyable. Of course if you like your music with an exagerated bass these will not be enough, but for accuracy and bass quality these are great. The bass is still quite present, its just presented in an accurate manner, not a slow and bloated way. 

As for isolation, its above average with the supplied double flange tips or the foam monster supertips.. Id imagine it would be close to or the same as an etymotic with triple flange tips. 

In case i'll buy TF10, i've already found double and triple flange compatible ( from MeeElectronics or Monster Turbine ).
I'll search some more review of GR01, GR07, TF10 and HF5, and wait for some impressions from Cosmic Ears owner.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 27
Walking on the streets with IEM that is too isolating is a bit dangerous. I found the moderately isolating ones let me listen to music while still being aware of my surroundings.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 27
The FXD80 is an awesome alternative to the TF10 with more sub-bass and clearer mids and better fit and build quality. Basically a very well done v-shaped sound sig. It's cheap too, I should know I'm selling one :p

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Walking on the streets with IEM that is too isolating is a bit dangerous. I found the moderately isolating ones let me listen to music while still being aware of my surroundings.  

I've used Creative In Ear 2 for more than a year, at high volume, and i'm still alive. I'm used to walk like a deaf, seeing only xD

Quote:
The FXD80 is an awesome alternative to the TF10 with more sub-bass and clearer mids and better fit and build quality. Basically a very well done v-shaped sound sig. It's cheap too, I should know I'm selling one :p

I'll see, but the detachable cable of TF10 and custom is something i really need.

Btw, project86 is gettin' his twin ba cosmic ears, i'll wait for his review.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 27
My top "bang for the buck" choices:

$100 for the HF5 -- it is regularly sold for that price on Amazon, including right now.
$100 for the Atrio (MG7) -- it is sold for that price on Atrio.me with the CostProg50% coupon code.

Two very different, even opposite IEMs. Two excellent deals.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
My top "bang for the buck" choices:

$100 for the HF5 -- it is regularly sold for that price on Amazon, including right now.
$100 for the Atrio (MG7) -- it is sold for that price on Atrio.me with the CostProg50% coupon code.

Two very different, even opposite IEMs. Two excellent deals.

These sound very tempting, but i wonder how they compare with the base Cosmic ears at the same price, or the GR07 and RE262 for a little more.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
These sound very tempting, but i wonder how they compare with the base Cosmic ears at the same price, or the GR07 and RE262 for a little more.

No idea about the Cosmic Ears offerings. Those make me very curious too, since they're incredibly inexpensive customs that look very professional (as does the whole service). Note, however, that they are not at the same price, since you need ear impressions and additional shipping.

The GR07 failed to impress me on first listen, but then, I only tried it at a store. Considering how much the MG7 changes after burn-in, the GR07 may be quite a different beast after burn-in too.

No idea about the RE262.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #23 of 27
the tf10 has a pretty awesome sound sig. depending on what you listen to.
but it's uncomfortable for most people so you shouldn't buy it unless you have the chance to try it on yourself.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 27
Voted for the GR07 despite preferring the GR01. I also have the HF5s but it doesn't receive that much love due to my VSonics.. Anyways, my reasoning for recommending the GR07 over the GR01 is because of... the price. I honestly don't find the two that far apart, despite finding the GR01 as the better performer (technically). Maybe the money you could save for choosing the GR07 over the GR01 could go into something like.... a new CD. 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #26 of 27
Having tried customs, there's no question in my mind that Cosmic are the way to go.
I've had the HY3 model ( died in an accident :frowning2: ) and have the dynamic 'Pure' model ( now known as the DD1 I think? ) and both have been great.
Project86 has had good things to say about Cosmic that he's tested.
I'm currently listening to a reshelled TF10 ( with an added dynamic driver to supplement low freq's ) that Phil at Cosmic made me, and I absolutely LOVE it!
So I guess that if you can get a pair of TF10's cheap then you have a possible upgrade path further down the line?
But personally, if I hadn't already had the TF10's I'd just have gone for whatever Cosmic model I could afford whilst fitting my preferred sound sig'.
I'm waiting for the HY5 that they're currently developing, although I'd probably be content to stick with the HY-TF10's if I hadn't already committed to the HY5.

Customs require patience and a bit of extra work on the customers part, but in my experience they're well worth it, and I won't be going back to universals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back