SR60-Mod part II
Jan 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,896 of 3,353
My next project is going to be a re-cable, and frankly I have read through way too many forums and threads trying to find out what would work best at a reasonable price to read completely through this one so pardon me if it's mentioned earlier.  Can someone point me in the right direction for high-purity copper and or silver cables that wont bust my bank account? I've looked at getting some Mogami W2534 but for all I know that could be a complete bust... Any ideas?

Thanks

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #2,897 of 3,353
I love the mogami cables for recables - good quality, easy to work with, great price - the 2893 is my usual for headphone cables, the 2534 is great but always feels too heavy to me.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,898 of 3,353

Quote:
I love the mogami cables for recables - good quality, easy to work with, great price - the 2893 is my usual for headphone cables, the 2534 is great but always feels too heavy to me.

Those were the two that I have heard most about. The thickness (well, lack of) of the 2893 doesn't seem to effect the sound in comparison with the 2534, does it? If not, then I'll go get some.

And one more question: is there a significant improvement over the stock SR60 cable?

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,899 of 3,353

Quote:
Those were the two that I have heard most about. The thickness (well, lack of) of the 2893 doesn't seem to effect the sound in comparison with the 2534, does it? If not, then I'll go get some.

And one more question: is there a significant improvement over the stock SR60 cable?

No, no difference in sound between the 2534 and the 2893. The 2534 uses 4x24 AWG conductors where the 2893 uses 4x26AWG conductors, but at headphone cable distances, the difference is negligble. 

I do not think there is a sonic improvement over the stock SR60 cable. But then, I am not a cable "believer" - provided a cable is not poorly put together, and provides enough signal there is no reason to expect sound changes. But I DO think, that a recable on the Grados provides a usability improvement. Also, you have the option of wiring them for balanced operation, if you want to go that route. So to me, the upgrade is worth it. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2,900 of 3,353

Quote:

I have mine re-cabled to some canare starquad that I had just lying around from a previous RCA IC job. Honestly I just wanted the cable to be shorter and not as thick, granted the starquad is not exactly the thinnest cable in the world. To me, there was no obvious sonic improvement over the stock SR60i's cable. But again, I did my re-cable fairly early on in my ownership of the headphones so I hadn't done a lot of listening with the old cable before I swapped it out. Plus I personally don't believe in much of the hype in cables anyway...

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2,901 of 3,353

Quote:
I have mine re-cabled to some canare starquad that I had just lying around from a previous RCA IC job. Honestly I just wanted the cable to be shorter and not as thick, granted the starquad is not exactly the thinnest cable in the world. To me, there was no obvious sonic improvement over the stock SR60i's cable. But again, I did my re-cable fairly early on in my ownership of the headphones so I hadn't done a lot of listening with the old cable before I swapped it out. Plus I personally don't believe in much of the hype in cables anyway...

I'll have to look into the starquad as well. So many choices! I don't have much experience with different cables, but I just don't see how some of the more well known cables could cost upwards of $200. 

Quote:
No, no difference in sound between the 2534 and the 2893. The 2534 uses 4x24 AWG conductors where the 2893 uses 4x26AWG conductors, but at headphone cable distances, the difference is negligble. 

I do not think there is a sonic improvement over the stock SR60 cable. But then, I am not a cable "believer" - provided a cable is not poorly put together, and provides enough signal there is no reason to expect sound changes. But I DO think, that a recable on the Grados provides a usability improvement. Also, you have the option of wiring them for balanced operation, if you want to go that route. So to me, the upgrade is worth it. 

Good to know. Given it's only ~$10 to $15 from performance audio just down the street, it's worth a shot. Plus I think it will just look cooler. 

Thanks for the advice!

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,902 of 3,353
I'm glad I saw this thread!

I'm getting ready to mod some Fostex T50RP's, but I may pick up some SR60i's as I have been curious about the Grado sound signature.

Also, pardon the curiosity, but whatever happened with Bilavideo? I see that thread just kind of died off at the end of August.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,903 of 3,353

Quote:
Ohrenholz just sent me a pic of some cups that are available, unfortunately all my headphones are sealed in right now so I'm not able to use them =(

Honduran Rosewood

Someone buy these before I find 2 excuses to buy another Grado I don't need..

I didn't opt for that particular shape - which is quite like the shape that the Cabillas' cups were made.  However, I did opt for one of his other cup designs with more rounded edges.  Mine are also in Honduran Mahogany, but I made a request to get mine unfinished.  They arrived today and I'm working on a custom blend for a color that I was shooting for.  So far, mine are appearing slightly more red than those in the picture  and that's just because of the mix of stain that I worked with to achieve the perfect color.  Pictures to follow in about 4 days.  Also, I'm awaiting a pair of Magnum drivers, which I'll use within the cups.

So far, my experience with Ohrenholz has been a very positive one.  All the communications prior to the actual purchase were all well conducted so it became quite clear as to what I was looking for.  The cups arrived this morning in the mail.  Then, I was experienced with the next part of the Ohrenholz purchase process.  Included in the package is documentation describing the cups as well as some tips for a successful installation.  Finally, pre-cut screen material for the cups was included as well as thin foam to encircle the drivers before setting them into place in the cups.  And, not to forget, a signed certificate of  authenticity to confirm date of purchase, serial number in the series, etc.  This gentleman is very much in tune with customer satisfaction.  If, for some reason, you have any issues with your purchase, there is a solid "satisfaction" guarantee that stands behind your purchase and you'll then have options to work on returning the cups to ensure your happiness.

I'm quite happy with my purchasing experience from Ohrenholz.  The quality of the cups are very, very good.  Also, my experience went through the same channels that any of you would also take when making your selection and purchase.  After you've determined the proper cups that you'd like, you provide Ohrenholz with your PayPal address and then an invoice is issued out to you along with a request for payment.

Edit: Corrected name of wood utilized for the cups.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2,904 of 3,353
what documentation....???
are u talking about this certification of authenticity that came with the woods all well packed and satin wrapped??

I dunno this Orenholz or how u pronounce his name...from half a globe away,
but he served me with a passion for his woods like we were oldfriends.
beerchug.gif

This is my first Grado ever, and i have sat through alot of cans....cept a grado. i hate grados. hehe
scares the hell out of me with nosoundstage blablabla. but i guess no sonic journey is complete without walking thru gradoland.
Its a blind shot in the dark, i had a few advice to shoot for a RS1 or RS2.. they are woodied alrite, but honestly...honestly...
i was bored with the woods on these stock items...for usd450-500bucks.

Then there is Orenholz. ( everybody pause....look at the foto )

He explained to me patiently the best bang for my limitedfunds is a 225 with his humblecups and some blackmagic tuning.
The final sound should fall in between a RS1 and RS2, from his esperience...thats reassuring to a gradoNoob like me.
I stretched a little n gotten a 325goldies with his approval, and mailed that to him..and he went to work on it.

What really impressed me was the way he said he sat through a few nights listening to the finished OzGrado No:001
and told me how he enjoyed the music..and his excitement at what i would SEE when i finally received the cans.
I know this is business.....but what i see in Orenholz is PASSION !

And frankly, i do think he has an EYE for WOODS, 
every time i take out this pair of cans...its pure heaven visually
...and there is actually a soundstage, music is smooth and well-balanced...superbly tuned.

Moving forward, 

my beyer 770 and Denon D7000, are all open targets...for makeovers.. if my bonus hits the roof.
And i think i saw a pair of CLOSED OzGrado on his site...CLOSED?? or looks Closed to me..shruggs.
Photo_Gallery.html ...scroll and u will see a "Mila"

popcorn.gif

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,905 of 3,353
I ended up buying those cups haha... here is my spec sheet and certificate of authenticity.

Sylvan is an awesome vendor, I've spoken to him at length on Skype about his projects and where he see's this going. He does it purely for the passion and any money that he charges is merely to compensate him for the cost of tooling and machinery. He has a lot invested to put out high quality stuff for you guys. Keep the cups coming brother, I like what I see so far!

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,906 of 3,353
How do you remove the black caps on top of the rod? It looks like it is held together by glue?

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,907 of 3,353

Quote:
How do you remove the black caps on top of the rod? It looks like it is held together by glue?

I left my cans in a hot car and they just popped off when I picked the headphones up (lol)... maybe try heat?

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #2,908 of 3,353

Quote:

Also, pardon the curiosity, but whatever happened with Bilavideo? I see that thread just kind of died off at the end of August.

I have the same question as well. I have been reading the thread but I'm only on page 120 or so... and Bila is still there in full glory. However, when I was watching one of his youtube videos I saw someone had mentioned how he disappeared with everyone's headphones that they sent to him to be woody'd and that they were disappointed (and angry) with him. That's all I really know.

Can anybody explain what happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back