SR60-Mod part II
Jan 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2,911 of 3,353
I was able to get one off after some heat and then able to push it off from the other side. The other one is still firmly there so hopefully I'm able to take it off with a hair dryer if I can find one.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,912 of 3,353

Quote:
Quote:

Also, pardon the curiosity, but whatever happened with Bilavideo? I see that thread just kind of died off at the end of August.

I have the same question as well. I have been reading the thread but I'm only on page 120 or so... and Bila is still there in full glory. However, when I was watching one of his youtube videos I saw someone had mentioned how he disappeared with everyone's headphones that they sent to him to be woody'd and that they were disappointed (and angry) with him. That's all I really know.

Can anybody explain what happened?

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2,914 of 3,353
they deleted the thread and pretended like it never happened.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,915 of 3,353
Such a shame, he was more or less the father of modern Grado modding and he inspired a few people to make a business out of modding Grados.

He also renewed my interest in Grados as well. I had a 2 year old SR-60 that I never used until I mustered up the courage to poke some holes, blu-tak the magnet, and recable the thing... some might say thats how I got started even.

Thanks Bilavideo for the information, it's a shame things happened the way they did.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #2,916 of 3,353
A manufacturer I know in England who makes Carbon Fiber parts for F1 cars and others and is also a bigtime audiophile wants me to try out some Carbon Fiber on my Grado's and stock ones also. I have my modded Limba wood Grado's from what feels like years ago when in fact it was last year. Check these out...
Its all about increased airflow......I think on Black stock Grado's they will look awesome....
 I'll try them on mine first, limba rules, hey is anyone here from the original GR60 Mod thread that Bilavideo started way back...remember me Ed..the old guy!!!  I'm back....
gs1000.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2,917 of 3,353
It's nice to see you're back! Just a couple of days ago I was reading in the first SR-60 mod thread about how you had just been released the hospital after getting treated for neuropathy (if I remember right)!

Quote:
A manufacturer I know in England who makes Carbon Fiber parts for F1 cars and others and is also a bigtime audiophile wants me to try out some Carbon Fiber on my Grado's and stock ones also. I have my modded Limba wood Grado's from what feels like years ago when in fact it was last year. Check these out...
Its all about increased airflow......I think on Black stock Grado's they will look awesome....
 I'll try them on mine first, limba rules, hey is anyone here from the original GR60 Mod thread that Bilavideo started way back...remember me Ed..the old guy!!!  I'm back....
gs1000.gif

Anyway, how do these sound?? They look awesome

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,918 of 3,353

Quote:
gs1000.gif

awwwww MAN! just when I thought I was done with modding my Grado's....
biggrin.gif

now keep them carbon fiber cups coming!
L3000.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #2,920 of 3,353
Welcome back Ed, how are you feeling these days?

I'm not sure I quite get how your incorporating the carbon fiber. In the original thread, one of the regular contibutors, pbstefandwich made some CF cups for his magnum drivers. Your picture looks like your attaching the CF to the stock cup am I seeing that right?

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #2,921 of 3,353

Quote:
Such a shame, he was more or less the father of modern Grado modding and he inspired a few people to make a business out of modding Grados.

He also renewed my interest in Grados as well. I had a 2 year old SR-60 that I never used until I mustered up the courage to poke some holes, blu-tak the magnet, and recable the thing... some might say thats how I got started even.

Thanks Bilavideo for the information, it's a shame things happened the way they did.

i still have a beautiful set of cocobolo cups he made for me. for relatively cheap to, compared to all the custom cups that are being sold for hundreds nowadays

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,922 of 3,353
I plan on opening up my grados tonight as I found a screen at homedepot. I'm going to put that in on my Sr-80i as well as some tack on the magnet. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #2,923 of 3,353

Quote:
I plan on opening up my grados tonight as I found a screen at homedepot. I'm going to put that in on my Sr-80i as well as some tack on the magnet. Are there places where I would know where to vent the driver and what wouldI use a pen?

I'd also like to know where to poke the holes i want to do 1 hole on each side.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #2,924 of 3,353
When you guys get your cups separated, just hold the driver housing up to some light. The holes that surround  the magnet are visible through the fabric. One is a good start, getting a pair of flat pads may be a better way to go though, and Posam I think rescreening your cups is a great upgrade. BTW the hole punch mod is reversible, so just have fun. Most of us have found that less is more though. Also pics are always appreciated in this thread. Keep us updated. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2,925 of 3,353
Just got done cutting the screen (pain in the butt my god) held it up to the light and saw the holes. I'm still hesitating about that part as I like the sound as is (through my digizoid Z02) and I don't think I should actually vent them. Time to make the other screen and then flatten them out and get them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back