Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,772 of 9,173
better than D7000.

In short, I think I love these.

Awesome! Thanks for your impressions, dear sir Oregonian! Very glad to read about the present mids. Way too much 'V' going on around these parts..

Can you say anything about what these puppies do for electric and possibly distorted guitar sounds..?

Considering your D7000 remarks I'm guessing these could also be somewhat of an upgrade to my trusty old stock D2000's... 
basshead.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #1,774 of 9,173
I played some Gazette on them, specifically Invisible Wall from Dim and it handled it quite well. Often this track gets smeared or crunchy. Requires speed and clarity in all parts of the spectrum to sound clean.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,775 of 9,173
Nice impressions, guys. Mine haven't even been sent yet. Waiting to compare with the TH-900. On the positive side:

gelocks resistance is crumbling. 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,776 of 9,173
I know there's a lot of hype with a new product, and those who bought it want it to be worth the money they spent on them.
But is there anyone that can give an unbiased critique on the bad things about the z7?
Knowing Sony, they'll probably have some sort of 'refined' revision in the near future.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #1,777 of 9,173
Bad things about Z7s, huh? They aren't free. I don't have one. They aren't open. They can't keep up in speed/detail compared to HD800s. Soundstage is smaller than HD800s. They aren't quite as comfortable as MA900s. Occasionally they can have some mid-bass boom with the right tracks.

But that's just looking at the negatives.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,778 of 9,173
  Plus I live 200km from an ongoing uranium-lava experiment.  .  .  

The accessories with the 880 are quite impressive, plus it lays flat.  I just wonder how it leaks; the leakage of the Z7 is the one issue giving me pause. . . Still haven`t heard it for myself (this evil Z7 leak) but if it is at all noticeable (as several people say) then I might have to keep looking . . . 

If I put the Z7s on my glass head, and cranked it a bit, would that be a reasonable experiment to listen for leakage?

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #1,779 of 9,173
  Plus I live 200km from an ongoing uranium-lava experiment.  .  .  

The accessories with the 880 are quite impressive, plus it lays flat.  I just wonder how it leaks; the leakage of the Z7 is the one issue giving me pause. . . Still haven`t heard it for myself (this evil Z7 leak) but if it is at all noticeable (as several people say) then I might have to keep looking . . . 

I just got the Focal Professional and i realy think they might be something for you to try, no leakage and great sound:)

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,781 of 9,173
Bad things about Z7s, huh? They aren't free. I don't have one. They aren't open. They can't keep up in speed/detail compared to HD800s. Soundstage is smaller than HD800s. They aren't quite as comfortable as MA900s. Occasionally they can have some mid-bass boom with the right tracks.

But that's just looking at the negatives.

Hmm...can´t keep up with detail monsters like HD 800, soundstage is smaller than the one in that special OPEN back headphone - HD 800, particularly known for having one of the biggest amongs all headphones, ... not as comfortable as 195 g (6.9 oz) heavy MA 900 ?  Some mid bass IMPACT with the right tracks ?    I think I can live with that...

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,782 of 9,173
I played some Gazette on them, specifically Invisible Wall from Dim and it handled it quite well. Often this track gets smeared or crunchy. Requires speed and clarity in all parts of the spectrum to sound clean.

Oh yay, some new Metal for my to enjoy <3 as I can't seriously listen to that song via youTube lol need dem flacs, but it sounds good either way 

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,783 of 9,173
They are officially released in Japan tomorrow. I'll see if I can't get a pair. I'm actually after a pair of headphones that are a bit more "fun" than my HD-800s for all the music where ultra-detail isn't important.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,784 of 9,173
  They are officially released in Japan tomorrow. I'll see if I can't get a pair. I'm actually after a pair of headphones that are a bit more "fun" than my HD-800s for all the music where ultra-detail isn't important.

I think I`ll also try to find a pair in Tokyo tomorrow.  After seeing those pics by Oregonian I basically wet my pants.  

I could use that in my life.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back