Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,741 of 9,173
Just when I thought my pursuit of a quality closed can, ie probably the Z7 and probably not the Shure 1540, I learn about the new Ultrasone Performance 880 . . . . 

Anyone have thoughts on these, vs Z7 ?

d

Oh you devil:wink::laughing:

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,745 of 9,173
Just when I thought my pursuit of a quality closed can, ie probably the Z7 and probably not the Shure 1540, I learn about the new Ultrasone Performance 880 . . . . 

d

I think that the z7 will be more enjoyable. I had a listen on both Ultrasone Signature Pro and Dj and they have a special sound. You should go for the 860 or 880.

The sound profile may be more softer with the 860 because that they have a gold-tranducer, the 880 have a Titanium -tranducers which can be a bit harsh. But a reviewer said the 880 was best and all was a upgrade for each version 840, 860 and 880

I bought the Ultrasone Dj1 Pro, when they came out, that also uses Titanium and the sound is more translucid coloured with a light texture and a bit harsh a bit.

They have a structure of the S-Logic (holes in the sheilding part that directs the sound for the whole ear to hear it) and the Titanium shielding.

All Ultrasone's has a special sound to them because of the above, and if the Z-7 are really good for you it could be better to go for them

But if you try the Sony MDR-7 and you are happy with the sound that would be better except that all Ultrasone's are sheilded to avoid 99% of all radiation which is really nice

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,746 of 9,173
Not sure I'd be worried about radiation shielding when cell signals and other radiation pass through your body constantly.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,747 of 9,173
  You mean your traveling? If you read 4 and 5 posts above, you'll see that Amazon US shipped mine and ButtJeff's in the last 2 days.

I was talking about the Ultrasones, not the Sony's...

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,748 of 9,173
Not sure I'd be worried about radiation shielding when cell signals and other radiation pass through your body constantly.

Plus I live 200km from an ongoing uranium-lava experiment.  .  .  

The accessories with the 880 are quite impressive, plus it lays flat.  I just wonder how it leaks; the leakage of the Z7 is the one issue giving me pause. . . Still haven`t heard it for myself (this evil Z7 leak) but if it is at all noticeable (as several people say) then I might have to keep looking . . . 

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,749 of 9,173

What i know about the general concept: they do not fatigue your ears as much, it spreads more over the ear and does not send the signal directly to the ear-drum.

But that could be a bad thing when it comes to Z-7 70mm and that it has a fuller sound to it. I think in general the sound will be better with the Z-7 if they have a full sound, good details and nice highs for the specific listener

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,750 of 9,173
Plus I live 200km from an ongoing uranium-lava experiment.  .  .  

The accessories with the 880 are quite impressive, plus it lays flat.  I just wonder how it leaks; the leakage of the Z7 is the one issue giving me pause. . . Still haven`t heard it for myself (this evil Z7 leak) but if it is at all noticeable (as several people say) then I might have to keep looking . . . 

May not be a option and not so good. But practically you can maybe put some kind of black tape on the "ventilation" fans, if it may be there the most of the leakage comes from. If it doesn't damage the headphones and make the sound too bad, and remove it when you are home.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #1,751 of 9,173
Blocking the vents may cause a pressure differential between the headphone and the space sealed with your ears and the ear pads, and then undesirable things may happen.

Highly not recommended, because I am sure at least that the change in acoustic dampening of the headphone would be massive, and the change in sound signature would also be inevitably noticeable.

Unless somehow you like to have even less bass than how much the Z7 may be pushing out.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,752 of 9,173

d

Aesthetically, I'd take the Z7 any day of the week.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #1,753 of 9,173
  Blocking the vents may cause a pressure differential between the headphone and the space sealed with your ears and the ear pads, and then undesirable things may happen.

Highly not recommended, because I am sure at least that the change in acoustic dampening of the headphone would be massive, and the change in sound signature would also be inevitably noticeable.

Don't know until you try!
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,754 of 9,173
Ok, finally got some free time tonight with these babies.........30 minutes listening time so keep that in mind. Source is Pandora fed via iPhone4 into a NuForce iDo DAC into Pioneer SA-7500 II amp from 1978.

First off, simple, classy packaging. Nice box but not too nice. Reminds me a lot of the Denon D7000 box.........remember the Denon reference later. Silky box liner and nice black box. Very good looking headphone. Looks solid, classy and extremely well made. Very light weight. Pads are incredible. Comfort as well. Fit is as good as I've ever had. Ever. Reminiscent of my D7000. Perfect clamp. Tight but not too tight.

Sound..........yes, these are bass capable. Very. Feeding them out of my Pioneer SA-7500 vintage amp with loudness switch thrown. Very nice thump. Extremely clean and no mud. Dang these are good. Mids are very present. So not a true v shape with recessed mids. Interesting.

My D7000 and these are brothers from another mother.............but I think these are better. That I didn't expect to say. More clarity, bass is sooooooooo tight and nice treble.

More tomorrow..........as well as leakage feedback. Isolation is very good, better than D7000.

In short, I think I love these.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,755 of 9,173
I've modded almost all of my headphones to a degree and every time you increase air pressure or release it from its stock variation the character of the headphone changes and for me, it's been negative every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back