Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,756 of 9,173
Ok, finally got some free time tonight with these babies.........30 minutes listening time so keep that in mind.

First off, simple, classy packaging. Nice box but not too nice. Reminds me a lot of the Denon D7000 box.........remember the Denon reference later. Silky box liner and nice black box. Very good looking headphone. Looks solid, classy and extremely well made. Pads are incredible. Comfort as well. Fit is as good as I've ever had. Ever. Reminiscent of my D7000. Perfect clamp. Tight but not too tight.

Sound..........yes, these are bass capable. Very. Feeding them out of my Pioneer SA-7500 vintage amp with loudness switch thrown. Very nice thump. Extremely clean and no mud. Dang these are good. Mids are very present. So not a true v shape with recessed mids. Interesting.

My D7000 and these are brothers from another mother.............but I think these are better. That I didn't expect to say. More clarity, bass is sooooooooo tight and nice treble.

More tomorrow..........as well as leakage feedback. Isolation is very good, better than D7000.

In short, I think I love these.

Dammit Frank!
Don't make me hate you!!!!! LOL!!!!

I'll wait for more! :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,757 of 9,173
Ok, finally got some free time tonight with these babies.........30 minutes listening time so keep that in mind. Source is Pandora fed via iPhone4 into a NuForce iDo DAC into Pioneer SA-7500 II amp from 1978.

First off, simple, classy packaging. Nice box but not too nice. Reminds me a lot of the Denon D7000 box.........remember the Denon reference later. Silky box liner and nice black box. Very good looking headphone. Looks solid, classy and extremely well made. Very light weight. Pads are incredible. Comfort as well. Fit is as good as I've ever had. Ever. Reminiscent of my D7000. Perfect clamp. Tight but not too tight.

Sound..........yes, these are bass capable. Very. Feeding them out of my Pioneer SA-7500 vintage amp with loudness switch thrown. Very nice thump. Extremely clean and no mud. Dang these are good. Mids are very present. So not a true v shape with recessed mids. Interesting.

My D7000 and these are brothers from another mother.............but I think these are better. That I didn't expect to say. More clarity, bass is sooooooooo tight and nice treble.

More tomorrow..........as well as leakage feedback. Isolation is very good, better than D7000.

O snap, this I gatta hear 

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #1,758 of 9,173

Dammit Frank!

Yea I'm with u guys there, though the Loudness switch does bother me :D. I don't have a hard wire eq on my rig I can use...

still Bwah <.< 

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #1,759 of 9,173

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,762 of 9,173
Ok, finally got some free time tonight with these babies.........30 minutes listening time so keep that in mind.

First off, simple, classy packaging. Nice box but not too nice. Reminds me a lot of the Denon D7000 box.........remember the Denon reference later. Silky box liner and nice black box. Very good looking headphone. Looks solid, classy and extremely well made. Pads are incredible. Comfort as well. Fit is as good as I've ever had. Ever. Reminiscent of my D7000. Perfect clamp. Tight but not too tight.

So awesome to hear!!!!!!

The Second Coming of the D7000 would be a great thing for all headphone heads!

I remember being really shocked the first time I heard my friend's D5000's because at the time I owned HD650's and I was pretty convinced that only open-back phones were capable of producing reference quality sound.  The D5000's totally changed my mind about that!  Although I still preferred my HD650's, I could see how if sound isolation or leakage was an issue, the Denon's could give you truly great SQ in a closed-back headphone.

I'll most likely be picking up a pair of these babies as soon as finances allow.  Can't wait!!! 
L3000.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,764 of 9,173
Oct 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #1,765 of 9,173
Oregonian:

Nice pics! And thanks for the D7000 comparisons.

Any chance you could compare the Z7 to the HE-6?

Thanks

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,766 of 9,173
Man o man those do look good. Looking forward to more impressions...

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,767 of 9,173
Oh oh, Oregonian likes them. This is trouble! :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,769 of 9,173
Ok, finally got some free time tonight with these babies.........30 minutes listening time so keep that in mind. Source is Pandora fed via iPhone4 into a NuForce iDo DAC into Pioneer SA-7500 II amp from 1978.

First off, simple, classy packaging. Nice box but not too nice. Reminds me a lot of the Denon D7000 box.........remember the Denon reference later. Silky box liner and nice black box. Very good looking headphone. Looks solid, classy and extremely well made. Very light weight. Pads are incredible. Comfort as well. Fit is as good as I've ever had. Ever. Reminiscent of my D7000. Perfect clamp. Tight but not too tight.

- so they sound good without the most high end source
- more clarity than the d7000 which is what I REAAALLLY wanted to know and it makes me impatient cause I don't think mine have shipped yet. 

with all the hype of these headphones I think my impressions would be useless. SOOO many people are going to post about them. 
  Dammit Frank!

Hop on board g! Stop playin'... This seems exactly like your kind of phone. I'd put a headphone on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back