Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 20, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,746 of 8,236
Well, I'd rather have a long battery life than all of that to be sincere. To have both things a second battery would be possibly needed, and that means a bulkier, heavier design and more charging time at this point. Things could get smaller and faster soon, given the pace at which technology is evolving but for now I'm very happy with my modded WM1Z. With the DMP-Z1 FE fw and my gjallarhorn jm edition I have reached the best portable sound to my ears (end game for me), and like @nc8000, I'm not in the market until one of the components stops working.
About the android implementation I'll say this: I don't like streaming either. Actually, I don't like to have access to the web when I'm listening to music, and that's why I love distractions-less DAPs such as the 1Z. Here is my point, I enjoy listening to music, and having no distractions is very important for me, it will increase the battery life of the device, it will make me more focused on the music and in the end I will enjoy every single minute of playback way more. That's why I would never trade a DAP for a Smartphone if music listening sessions are to be the goal. Never.
The WM1Z is already a pinnacle of weight lol. I know some that would call it transportable rather than portable lol.

If Sony used lighter materials/thinner designs on the construction of the WM1A/Z they could have easily fit a 10k-20k mah battery into their size/weight budget lol.

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #2,747 of 8,236
The WM1Z is already a pinnacle of weight lol. I know some that would call it transportable rather than portable lol.

If Sony used lighter materials/thinner designs on the construction of the WM1A/Z they could have easily fit a 10k-20k mah battery into their size/weight budget lol.

The Nayparm mod fits a 4100mah battery for well over 40 hours play back

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,748 of 8,236
I read something once, that someone from Sony was inspired to make the WM1 players after hearing a hardware modified ZX2. It would be interesting to hear an opinion in regards to a hardware modded WM1A (@Nayparm's mod looks the best so far) and having the DMP-WM1 FE firmware.

Regarding opinions of the firmware, it's pretty clear that I think it's just brilliant. I understand that I could sound like I'm biased, but I'm just sharing my honest opinion. I am indeed this amazed by this experience! Every time I put my headphones on and I listen to some songs, I'm always "wowed" by everything that's happening inside that awesome 3D sphere, and how clear everything sounds, with not even a hint of being analytical.

I basically love my WM1A, and it's always a special time when I put on my Sony Z7M2 and I listen to some songs.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,752 of 8,236
About the android implementation I'll say this: I don't like streaming either. Actually, I don't like to have access to the web when I'm listening to music, and that's why I love distractions-less DAPs such as the 1Z. Here is my point, I enjoy listening to music, and having no distractions is very important for me, it will increase the battery life of the device, it will make me more focused on the music and in the end I will enjoy every single minute of playback way more. That's why I would never trade a DAP for a Smartphone if music listening sessions are to be the goal. Never.
Actually I quite like A&K SE100 DAP implementation, though their battery life is about 11-12 hours per charge, it provides streaming services with few android APK files (such as Spotify, Tidal etc. Even I leave my SE100 on standby mode, the battery only leak 2-3% per day which is acceptable. Latest A&K SR25's battery life per charge is 21 hours.

Not sure what OS type on these AK DAP?

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #2,754 of 8,236
The SR25 uses Android 9.0
but A&K does not run apps on icon screen , withn A&K proprietary menu screen. When click 'services' only goes to android apps download from APK apps and preset A&K apps.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #2,755 of 8,236
DSEE HX AI doesnt fix a CD to the 24/96 quality. I had this a CD and sounds boxy enabled DSEE AI still sounded enclosed in a tiled room.

Got the qobuz 24/96downliad, definitely sounds better, with bit of echo, still close up like if in a small room not a studio.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #2,756 of 8,236
DSEE HX AI doesnt fix a CD to the 24/96 quality. I had this a CD and sounds boxy enabled DSEE AI still sounded enclosed in a tiled room.

Got the qobuz 24/96downliad, definitely sounds better, with bit of echo, still close up like if in a small room not a studio.
16085673622366255552505652097991.jpg

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,757 of 8,236

The 24/96 may be mastered differently. Also, "The DSEE HX function upscales the compressed sound source data such as that on CDs or MP3 to almost as high a quality as that of High-Resolution Audio", so don't expect it to just do wonders all the time :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #2,758 of 8,236
The 24/96 may be mastered differently. Also, "The DSEE HX function upscales the compressed sound source data such as that on CDs or MP3 to almost as high a quality as that of High-Resolution Audio", so don't expect it to just do wonders all the time :)
Yes I thought of that, different master, and definitely it sounds like so

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,759 of 8,236
And we're back...to the OS topic....

I've done both of the latest editions to my NW-A45 & ZX300 DAPS. Have done very little listening to the ZX300 since then as I have been concentrating on the NW-A45, which sounds a lot closer to what I remember the ZX300 stock sound was. I got the ZX300 so I could play around with balanced mode.

Am very satisfied, to say the least.

One "negative" to bring up is another lost function, not usually mentioned about the NW-A45 post upgrade. You lose the Line Out via the WM-Port. I was used to using this output in the car or with my KEF Muo or output to headphone amp or even a full pre-amp. Using a cheap and cheerful Chinese WM-Port to 3.5 mm plug I got a fixed line out. When this less than robust cable broke I searched for a better (& more costly) replacement & discovered a Furutech cable that to my surprise provided a Variable line out. Battery life confirmed that it was not simply a re-routed headphone output. These no longer function post upgrade.

But I put negative in quotes above as the headphone outs are very clean on both these DAPS, so not a real problem. (I did have to find a better quality 3.5 mm cable for the headphone jack...what a hardship...:darthsmile:)

And I'm getting even more excited since I have discovered a relatively painless way to rip SACD's SACD layers to hard drive.

So big thanks to DR. Walkman!

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,760 of 8,236
And we're back...to the OS topic....

I've done both of the latest editions to my NW-A45 & ZX300 DAPS. Have done very little listening to the ZX300 since then as I have been concentrating on the NW-A45, which sounds a lot closer to what I remember the ZX300 stock sound was. I got the ZX300 so I could play around with balanced mode.

Am very satisfied, to say the least.

One "negative" to bring up is another lost function, not usually mentioned about the NW-A45 post upgrade. You lose the Line Out via the WM-Port. I was used to using this output in the car or with my KEF Muo or output to headphone amp or even a full pre-amp. Using a cheap and cheerful Chinese WM-Port to 3.5 mm plug I got a fixed line out. When this less than robust cable broke I searched for a better (& more costly) replacement & discovered a Furutech cable that to my surprise provided a Variable line out. Battery life confirmed that it was not simply a re-routed headphone output. These no longer function post upgrade.

But I put negative in quotes above as the headphone outs are very clean on both these DAPS, so not a real problem. (I did have to find a better quality 3.5 mm cable for the headphone jack...what a hardship...:darthsmile:)

And I'm getting even more excited since I have discovered a relatively painless way to rip SACD's SACD layers to hard drive.

So big thanks to DR. Walkman!

Thanks!

I plan on getting a stock-based firmware working for A45, which is faster than the last original stock update, and that also has the BT receiver function, and it should also keep the WM-port line out output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back