Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #2,731 of 8,316
:sweat: @ MrWalkman , I need help !!
When "connect the player to the computer with a USB cable", I do it, I click "OK" and nothing happens !!!
I have the FW DMP-WM1, and the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 dont work ??

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #2,732 of 8,316
:sweat: @ MrWalkman , I need help !!
When "connect the player to the computer with a USB cable", I do it, I click "OK" and nothing happens !!!
I have the FW DMP-WM1, and the StockRevert for DMP-WM1 dont work ??

I sent you a personal message.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,734 of 8,316
Great, I answer it :handshake:

Issue resolved - something related to the StockRevert package for the DMP-WM1 mod, which was causing it to not detect the player as being connected.

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,737 of 8,316
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,740 of 8,316
It's the S-Master HX amp chip which integrates the DAC/AMP which is the limitation on amplifier power. Class D is much more efficient than the other amplifier topologies, and has no problems with pumping out more power. Sony may have to separate out the amp from the DAC to get more power. And fix all the effects to sound that the new topology will cause. So it is more of a design limitation caused by their circuitry choices.
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/what-soc-is-sony-using.html
The S-master HX chip is Class D amplifier which directly converts and amplifies the digital input to an analog output so there is no separating the dac from the amp, it's all done in one go.

The closest option to what you're suggesting would be to use a separate amp to boost the output of the S-Master chip. But that wouldn't be any different from a regular dac+amp dap now would it? Only in this case the s-master chip functions as the dac

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,741 of 8,316
The S-master HX chip is Class D amplifier which directly converts and amplifies the digital input to an analog output so there is no separating the dac from the amp, it's all done in one go.

The closest option to what you're suggesting would be to use a separate amp to boost the output of the S-Master chip. But that wouldn't be any different from a regular dac+amp dap now would it? Only in this case the s-master chip functions as the dac
Yes, that is the same as what I said. But there would be a difference if Sony fed the digital signal out of the S-master chip to an external Class D amp. Other DAPs feed an analog signal out of the DAC, to an analog amp. But this is all conjecture and "what if", of course. We depend on Sony's engineers to come up with a solution.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #2,742 of 8,316
Yes, that is the same as what I said. But there would be a difference if Sony fed the digital signal out of the S-master chip to an external Class D amp. Other DAPs feed an analog signal out of the DAC, to an analog amp. But this is all conjecture and "what if", of course. We depend on Sony's engineers to come up with a solution.
Well, I'd rather have a long battery life than all of that to be sincere. To have both things a second battery would be possibly needed, and that means a bulkier, heavier design and more charging time at this point. Things could get smaller and faster soon, given the pace at which technology is evolving but for now I'm very happy with my modded WM1Z. With the DMP-Z1 FE fw and my gjallarhorn jm edition I have reached the best portable sound to my ears (end game for me), and like @nc8000, I'm not in the market until one of the components stops working.
About the android implementation I'll say this: I don't like streaming either. Actually, I don't like to have access to the web when I'm listening to music, and that's why I love distractions-less DAPs such as the 1Z. Here is my point, I enjoy listening to music, and having no distractions is very important for me, it will increase the battery life of the device, it will make me more focused on the music and in the end I will enjoy every single minute of playback way more. That's why I would never trade a DAP for a Smartphone if music listening sessions are to be the goal. Never.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,743 of 8,316
They could do it like intel two separate wafer dies on the same chip one wafer for the digital manipulation and other for the amp if they want to avoid "noises"
ice-lake-intel-chip-720x720.jpg

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #2,744 of 8,316
Well, I'd rather have a long battery life than all of that to be sincere. To have both things a second battery would be possibly needed, and that means a bulkier, heavier design and more charging time at this point. Things could get smaller and faster soon, given the pace at which technology is evolving but for now I'm very happy with my modded WM1Z. With the DMP-Z1 FE fw and my gjallarhorn jm edition I have reached the best portable sound to my ears (end game for me), and like @nc8000, I'm not in the market until one of the components stops working.
About the android implementation I'll say this: I don't like streaming either. Actually, I don't like to have access to the web when I'm listening to music, and that's why I love distractions-less DAPs such as the 1Z. Here is my point, I enjoy listening to music, and having no distractions is very important for me, it will increase the battery life of the device, it will make me more focused on the music and in the end I will enjoy every single minute of playback way more. That's why I would never trade a DAP for a Smartphone if music listening sessions are to be the goal. Never.
I totally agree

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #2,745 of 8,316
My theory is that the S-Master can actually output.more power (see TA-Z1HES) but either sony wants longer battery life run time or they fear the DAP will run hot if they pushed to the maximum specs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back