Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,761 of 8,315
And we're back...to the OS topic....

I've done both of the latest editions to my NW-A45 & ZX300 DAPS. Have done very little listening to the ZX300 since then as I have been concentrating on the NW-A45, which sounds a lot closer to what I remember the ZX300 stock sound was. I got the ZX300 so I could play around with balanced mode.

Am very satisfied, to say the least.

One "negative" to bring up is another lost function, not usually mentioned about the NW-A45 post upgrade. You lose the Line Out via the WM-Port. I was used to using this output in the car or with my KEF Muo or output to headphone amp or even a full pre-amp. Using a cheap and cheerful Chinese WM-Port to 3.5 mm plug I got a fixed line out. When this less than robust cable broke I searched for a better (& more costly) replacement & discovered a Furutech cable that to my surprise provided a Variable line out. Battery life confirmed that it was not simply a re-routed headphone output. These no longer function post upgrade.

But I put negative in quotes above as the headphone outs are very clean on both these DAPS, so not a real problem. (I did have to find a better quality 3.5 mm cable for the headphone jack...what a hardship...:darthsmile:)

And I'm getting even more excited since I have discovered a relatively painless way to rip SACD's SACD layers to hard drive.

So big thanks to DR. Walkman!
Is that using a pioneer bluray player?

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,762 of 8,315
Is that using a pioneer bluray player?
No, but some Pioneers will work.

I didn't personally discover the how, but the thread about how to do it.

Here it is:

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

It's a very long thread, but most of the basics are kept up to date in the first couple of pages. Search for the AutoRip method for the most direct way. There are more nuances and potential solutions to specific issues that can arise.

I am waiting for an eBay sourced Sony BluRay player to arrive before I commence going through my 120+ SACD's.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,763 of 8,315

Here it is:

It's a very long thread, but most of the basics are kept up to date in the first couple of pages. Search for the AutoRip method for the most direct way. There are more nuances and potential solutions to specific issues that can arise.

I am waiting for an eBay sourced Sony BluRay player to arrive before I commence going through my 120+ SACD's.
I've been using a pioneer BDP-170 for that since last year, very pleased

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2,764 of 8,315

Here it is:

One thing I can say, prepare your self with a large enough hard drive, I had a 2TB that quickly filled with my SACD tips, right now I have a 4TB one which is half full (10% of my lib. Is hi-res)

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2,765 of 8,315
One thing I can say, prepare your self with a large enough hard drive, I had a 2TB that quickly filled with my SACD tips, right now I have a 4TB one which is half full (10% of my lib. Is hi-res)

I have a Synology NAS with 2 8TB mirrored drives for all my storage. About 2TB music, 2TB ripped dvd's, 1TB home videos and all my other data

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,766 of 8,315
Yes I have arrayed before me a variety of portable HD's and my WD NAS has a pair of 4 TB drives that still have room for all. Only audio files on mine.

And several back-up drives since the labor to rip all my CD's and the redbook layers of my SACD's is something I'll never repeat. (Some CD's have now gone away, more to follow, although many I'll keep if limited editions or special box sets. At this point I intend to retain all my SACD's. But never to re-rip. It took many months.)

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,767 of 8,315
Yes I have arrayed before me a variety of portable HD's and my WD NAS has a pair of 4 TB drives that still have room for all. Only audio files on mine.

And several back-up drives since the labor to rip all my CD's and the redbook layers of my SACD's is something I'll never repeat. (Some CD's have now gone away, more to follow, although many I'll keep if limited editions or special box sets. At this point I intend to retain all my SACD's. But never to re-rip. It took many months.)

Yes that is an effort not to be repeated. I also have a loose 5TB usb drive for back up of the nas

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,769 of 8,315
Hi guys you think this chifi cable could damage my walkman balanced output?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000401947915.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.62294c4dazXFev
Thanks its the 4.4 two pin

The only thing I see is that they don't mention the pinout of the 4.4 connector.

For the WM1A/ZX300 you need it like this:
1608600011475.png

Dec 21, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,771 of 8,315
thanks, so it wont work? or may damage the unit?

It would just be recommended to ask the seller about the pinout or something. Otherwise, if the pinout is different, it could at least not work (no idea about damaging the unit).

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,773 of 8,315
Dec 21, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,774 of 8,315

Users who are viewing this thread

Back