Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,716 of 8,315
DMP-300 FE (Final Edition)

As the aim is to get the best sound possible, the previous DMP-300 custom firmware version
is no longer available.

The name "Final Edition" was chosen instead of simply "DMP-300", so people would know that
they have installed this firmware, and not the first version.

Update:
- improved sound signature - fuller, deeper, and more impactful bass, natural and lifelike vocals,
and non-fatiguing and smooth highs, with impeccable details

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported

Installation:
1. Install DMP-300_FE
2. Install DMP-300_FE_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP-300_FE)
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

When installing DMP-300_FE or when installing StockRevert_(DMP-300_FE), the player
should restart and go into update mode. The update bar on the player's screen should fill up
to the end. Otherwise, you won't be able to install the external tunings.

What should I do if I'm using the previous DMP-300 custom firmware?
1. Revert to stock using the StockRevert mentioned below
2. Install DMP-300 FE
3. Install DMP-300 FE Ext. Tuning

You can find the StockRevert for DMP-300 on the link below.
I recommend using this StockRevert for DMP-300 instead of the previous one, as this one is more stable.

Download DMP-300 FE here.

Feel free to leave your feedback, and enjoy! :)

HI MrWalkman, can you re-upload the firmware? Link in your blog is missing.

Best regards and thank you very much for your work!!

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,717 of 8,315
HI MrWalkman, can you re-upload the firmware? Link in your blog is missing.

Best regards and thank you very much for your work!!

Hey, I put a new link: https://www.mrwalkman.ml/p/dmp-300-fe.html

I guess that someone who has nothing better to do, took its time to report the link to Google, and this is why the link was not working anymore...

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,718 of 8,315
Ibasso will soon release the DX300 player which will have 1100mW of power, a FPGA, Dual battery system. I hope sony really surprises us with at least power output, seems like all new hi-end new comers have mighty power output between 700mw and 1500mw into 32 ohm

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,719 of 8,315
Ibasso will soon release the DX300 player which will have 1100mW of power, a FPGA, Dual battery system. I hope sony really surprises us with at least power output, seems like all new hi-end new comers have mighty power output between 700mw and 1500mw into 32 ohm
Why are you so obsessed with power? If you have been satisfied with the power in wm1a so far...

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,722 of 8,315
Ive been told MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R perform to totl open back levels when fed the right power

More power is not going to transform either into something different (open phones), it might just further refine what's already there but at the same time a different device will most likely for better or worse have a different sound signature to what you have now with the 1A

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,723 of 8,315
Ive been told MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R perform to totl open back levels when fed the right power

I don't think one can say it's a simple matter of power. Certainly that is a factor, but there are other factors that have as much if not bigger impact to sound. The only factor that points directly to power is overall volume.

As an extreme example I look back at my JH Laylas. Depending on which "professional" review you read, the characteristics are either dark or bright. How can that be for the same IEM? Personally I have experienced the full range of tonality on the Laylas depending on the source its' connect to. I have tried more combinations than I care to remember and taking a scientific approach to experiment with different power ratings, output impedances, power design (tube, SS, etc.). Guess what? To this day I have not found any correlation to any of the characteristics where I can say Laylas sound great if OI is less than xx or power is greater than yy. All I know is the best sound that matches my personal preference was pairing with an ALO CDM with Sonotone tubes.

At the TOTL levels I think the goal is to pair a specific headphone to a specific source to get that last 2-3% perfection. Since everyones' personal preferences are different I don't understand how people can just say "needs more power" as a monolithic answer to best pairing. I am convinced that the majority of people who make that claim are just hearing the same headphone with the same source, but only louder when they up the power setting. When the same person makes the claim "bass has more slam and highs are more sparkly", that's usually a good indication that it's just the higher volume, not any change in tonality. Same trick that unscrupulous "hifi" sales people used when talking you into buying the higher end gear.

On a more debatable observation, I have found that it's very easy to have a pre-conceived idea that a lower power spec'd amp will sound thinner, in the same way just looking at a silver cable makes the brain think the sound will be brighter. Even though measurements say otherwise, we hear what we perceive.

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,724 of 8,315
Judge this with your ears. Closed headphones will never sound like an open type of headphones. Nevermind. Each headset is for its own purpose.
Sorry for the OT. I personally decide whether to purchase wm1a again. For my wp900.

regards,
Simon

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #2,725 of 8,315
Judge this with your ears. Closed headphones will never sound like an open type of headphones....
Wait until you listen to the Kennerton JM Gjallarhorn. They "sound more open" than many open cans! :)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,726 of 8,315
Wait until you listen to the JM Gjallarhorn. They "sound more open" than many open cans! :)

I would love to listen to them but that is never going to happen

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2,727 of 8,315
Judge this with your ears. Closed headphones will never sound like an open type of headphones. Nevermind. Each headset is for its own purpose.
Sorry for the OT. I personally decide whether to purchase wm1a again. For my wp900.

regards,
Simon
The MDR-Z1R actually sounds pretty close to open back headphones, though it doesn't match the best ones out there, it still has the best soundstage out of all the closed back headphones I have listened to by far.

That said, realistically speaking, if you aren't on the go, just get a Stax SR-L300 (or better) with a tube based energizer (even a mid range does the job if you replace the tubes by NOS RCA and rebias them, I personally did this the "inexpensive" way using a second hand SRM-006tA Energizer I bought from e-earphone) and you will get something on par, if not better, as far as the sound quality does, as the Sennheiser HE-1 at a fraction of the cost (though without the extra comfort or the fancy marble bling), suffice to say it'll trash anything out there, at least anything that aren't at least mid range electrostatic headphones/earspeakers, in fact you can get even better sound if you go higher specs (a high grade energizer and a SR-L700 or better).

If you aren't that confident in messing with 20kV+ running live to rebias tubes in an energizer (ie. Use gloves, use ceramic screwdrivers, don't wear metal...) don't do it (seriously, don't, unless you know what you are doing) and get it rebiased by a professional or go for the more expensive options (it doesn't have to be a Stax energizer.The solid state energizers don't sound as well as the tube ones, but the Electro-Harmonix tubes Stax fit at factory don't sound that great.)

I agree that it isn't much of a portable setup however, I would probably settle for planar magnetic headphones if I were to travel a lot, and a DAP with a good enough amp to drive them, but that's just a personal preference.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,728 of 8,315
Why are you so obsessed with power? If you have been satisfied with the power in wm1a so far...
Once you hear what the additional power releases, then you'll understand. Sony's next gen premium players need to have more power, if not Walkman will simply continue to exclude a significant number of high end IEM/HP which very much derails WM1A/Z Gen 2 as being a TOTL DAP. The competition already does, the rest is down to Sony...

Q-6

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,729 of 8,315
Until Sony moves away from their class D designs on their daps, we will never see higher powered Sony daps.

But if they do move to class A/AB designs, it will no longer have long battery life characteristic of Sony daps.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,730 of 8,315
Until Sony moves away from their class D designs on their daps, we will never see higher powered Sony daps.

But if they do move to class A/AB designs, it will no longer have long battery life characteristic of Sony daps.
It's the S-Master HX amp chip which integrates the DAC/AMP which is the limitation on amplifier power. Class D is much more efficient than the other amplifier topologies, and has no problems with pumping out more power. Sony may have to separate out the amp from the DAC to get more power. And fix all the effects to sound that the new topology will cause. So it is more of a design limitation caused by their circuitry choices.
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/what-soc-is-sony-using.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back