Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 22, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #8,236 of 8,313
Hi everyone! Another newbie here. I'm currently running the "Walkman One" custom firmware by MrWalkman on my Sony NW-A45 and I couldn't be happier with the improved sound quality. For some reason, changing the signature sound from 3 (WM1Z) to either 1 (warm, Midnight v2) or 2 (bright, Dawn v2.1) won't work, the boot log file says that "The value set for the [SIG] setting, [1], is not valid" (there's a break after the '1', the closing bracket appears at the beginning of the next line). This also happens when I try to change the region or the color of the home screen. Anybody know how to fix this? I've closely followed the instructions given in the settings-file, turning the device off and on again and then running the "FirmwareUpdateTool" in the external tunings folder. Many thanks in advance!
You sholud only write the numbers/letters, not the square brackets []

IMG_3869.jpeg
IMG_3870.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg

May 23, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #8,237 of 8,313
Thanks, but that's exactly what I did - no brackets at all, just the SIG=1 entry. I tried this with both notepad and Notepad++ and closely followed the instructions (turning off the device, reboot, applying the external tuning. But no luck., it always goes back to the default setting.

=> Settings file (settings.txt) was found!

# Checking the sound signature settings...
=> The value set for the [SIG] setting, [1
], is not valid.
- The available options are [0] to [3] (check more details in the settings file.
- Using the default option [3] (WM1Z).
=> The in-use sound signature (WM1Z) matches the sound signature set in the settings file (WM1Z).
- Sound signature change not needed!

May 23, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #8,238 of 8,313
Thanks, but that's exactly what I did - no brackets at all, just the SIG=1 entry. I tried this with both notepad and Notepad++ and closely followed the instructions (turning off the device, reboot, applying the external tuning. But no luck., it always goes back to the default setting.

], is not valid.
- The available options are [0] to [3] (check more details in the settings file.
=> The in-use sound signature (WM1Z) matches the sound signature set in the settings file (WM1Z).

Try deleting the settings file, restart the player so a new one is created, then for the SIG settings just hit backspace to delete the 3, and type 1 only (no Enter or anything), and save the file (CTRL+S)

May 23, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #8,239 of 8,313

], is not valid.
After changing sig in the settings file and rebooting you then need to install the matching signature as far as I remember (have not done it for several years)

IMG_3877.jpeg

May 23, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #8,240 of 8,313
After changing sig in the settings file and rebooting you then need to install the matching signature as far as I remember (have not done it for several years)

IMG_3877.jpeg

Yeah, but for him it reads his "1" as a "1" + a new line character.

May 23, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #8,242 of 8,313
May 24, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #8,243 of 8,313
Oh god, In the last week, I Brought sony nwm1a and cant search with keyboards mys songs! Help :frowning2:
With proper ID3 tags it's easy to find anything.

May 25, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #8,244 of 8,313
For anyone interested, you can give a try to the J1/J2/J3 regions on the Walkman One firmware (only for the WM1A/Z players) - these regions are basically new.

In order to install this, you have to revert back to the stock firmware first. After installing it, you can just go in the settings file and set J1, J2, or J3 as the region. If you delete the settings file, a new one will be created which will also mention the J1, J2, and J3 regions - using these regions will work without having to delete the settings file, this is just for visual aid, maybe.

There are no other new features in this Walkman One package - only the 3 regions. Also, use the same external tunings (they can be found in the CFW folder).

LINK (MEGA)

So far I like the J3 region really much. I am using the WM1Z sound signature on my WM1A (with the MDR-1AM2, single-ended port), and the bass is more impactful than simply with the J region, while there is some realism and cleanliness to the sound which I really like. The soundstage seems more focused in a way - in comparison with other regions it feels like there is less echo, which I think it adds to the realism. I really like how it sounds. Of course, this is only my opinion.
did i do it right?
1716614012195.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #8,245 of 8,313
did i do it right?
1716614012195.png

Yeah you did it right, the region can be checked on the notes on in the folder from PC

Wait you did it right except 1 thing,
You don't need to put hi res sticker on WM1A as it is already no secret that WM1A is a hi res audio device 😄

May 25, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #8,246 of 8,313
Yeah you did it right, the region can be checked on the notes on in the folder from PC

You don't need to put hi res sticker on WM1A as it is already no secret that WM1A is a hi res audio device 😄
this one on the log, haha the hi res sticker was already then when i bought it from its previous owner
1716620643853.png

i want to put hi res sticker like this qp1r i found on the net

1716620815666.png

May 25, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #8,247 of 8,313

Hi res sticker increases soundstage by 10000x and improves micro detailing and imaging!

May 25, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #8,248 of 8,313
this one on the log, haha the hi res sticker was already then when i bought it from its previous owner1716620643853.png

i want to put hi res sticker like this qp1r i found on the net

1716620815666.png
Abomination.jpg

May 30, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #8,250 of 8,313
Hi guys,

I was sent this nifty little adaptor, the DJ44S M1 by DDHiFI recently for testing purposes. Basically what it does is that it adds the missing grounding that Sony left out to the WM1A/1Z’s 4.4mm port via the 3.5mm ground pin connection. It’s very clever and built very solidly I must say. There’s a black version for the 1A (the one I have) and a gold version for the 1Z to match the colors. It fits beautifully into the ports and sits very majestically on the top as you can see. And it fits just nicely even with a case on my 1A. It’s internal build is full copper all the way.

Now for the sound impressions. I did an AB testing on the same songs using my offline songs directly from my SD card to keep it clean and simple. I used a Sony XBA-Z5 paired with kimber kable solely for this test as this is probably one of my most beloved IEMs of all time. At first listen, I immediately heard a blacker background. Everything just became quieter and the music had more focus. It’s not a huge leap but I felt that change almost immediately. Noise floor was non existent and there were no crackles or pops that don’t belong to the music. Just pure sound with the already stellar soundstage and headspace that you experience with Walkman One firmware. For the record, I’m on the Warm Signature with Plus mode on 2 and DAC on normal. No gains and all sound processing switched off except for DSEE AI. I enjoyed listening to some quieter tracks that I had simply because I feel that it removes the added noise that it had without this adaptor and cleaned up the sound that much more.

All in all, for about USD100, is it worth it? In my personal opinion, the price is a little steep for what it does, but you immediately feel the build quality of this nifty fella when you hold it in your hands, and coupled with the clever engineering and impeccable practicality of it, the added benefits of getting a crystal clear, noise free sound reproduction from an already amazing product from Sony is surely the icing on the cake. It completes the experience on the WM1A. That’s how I would sum it up.

Get the full details of the DJ44S M1 here.
https://cn.ddhifi.com/en/product/dj44s-m1-dj44s-max/
IMG_5489.jpeg
IMG_5490.jpeg
IMG_5491.jpeg
IMG_5492.jpeg
IMG_5495.jpeg
IMG_5496.jpeg
IMG_5497.jpeg
IMG_5498.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back