Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #8,101 of 8,232
I have a question about power output of wm1a after fw mod. I'm using the walkman one fw that convert the wm1a into wm1z (showing that in the about info). I'm noticing that power output when I'm using either 4.4mm and 3.5mm is the same ie when I'm using the same iem but with different terminating jacks I'm experiencing same volume level. Currently using Fiio fh3, so doesn't matter if I'm using 4.4mm or 3.5mm, the volume level is exactly at 65 (loudness I'm comfortable with). So has the modded fw somehow made the the power output the same for 4.4mm and 3.5mm jacks?

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #8,104 of 8,232
How would that differ from flac quality?
Since wav is an uncompressed format less processing is involved in playing it and some people say they can hear a difference

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #8,105 of 8,232
Since wav is an uncompressed format less processing is involved in playing it and some people say they can hear a difference

I agree with the "less processing" part, even if decoding flac is very easy on system resources.

As for "hearing the difference" - right, difference between bit-identical data. :)

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #8,107 of 8,232
I agree with the "less processing" part, even if decoding flac is very easy on system resources.

As for "hearing the difference" - right, difference between bit-identical data. :)
I can’t hear a difference but I can see technically that it could be possible as I suppose the difference in processing could introduce electrical noise so it’s not that there is a difference in the resulting bit stream but maybe in the resulting analog signal. The old Colorfly C4 could do flac up to 16/44 but wav up to 24/96 because the processer wasn’t powerfull enough to decode hires flac

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #8,108 of 8,232
i converted all of my flac and dsd to aac 80 throughthe music center app. i still have some songs that somehow made it past the mood scanner but it still works great in senseme. i dont hear any major differences compared to lossless, and dsee ai seems to have a more noticeable effect, not a bad thing but it does color sound. (which i do like, especially how the Walkman players do it) i saved a ton of space and my database loading time has been cut by a lot. there is a bit of a lag when doing random searches but i think it's because music center placed every song in an individual folder by artist.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #8,109 of 8,232
I haven't managed to work out this whole senseme thing - what is it/ does it do exactly? (I know, noobie question)

I also mainly gave up on dsd - I cannot hear any difference even compared to flac 16/44 so it's just a waste of storage space for me. Just checked Billy Cobham's Spectrum (highly recommended if you're into 1970's fusion) - 218MB vs 1,6GB, without audible difference.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #8,110 of 8,232
I haven't managed to work out this whole senseme thing - what is it/ does it do exactly? (I know, noobie question)

I also mainly gave up on dsd - I cannot hear any difference even compared to flac 16/44 so it's just a waste of storage space for me. Just checked Billy Cobham's Spectrum (highly recommended if you're into 1970's fusion) - 218MB vs 1,6GB, without audible difference.
I will admit that I mostly can’t hear the difference between 16/44 (16/48) and hires. I have a fair bit of hires music but on my daps it has all been downsampled in order to fit my entire library on a 1.5TB card

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #8,111 of 8,232

you need the music center on pc for it to work. it wont work by dropping music into your walkman. all it does is take all of your music and it creates shuffle playlists according the scanned song's mood. some songs may not work and will be in the wrong category. so dont rely on it completely.

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #8,112 of 8,232
I haven't managed to work out this whole senseme thing - what is it/ does it do exactly? (I know, noobie
It’s a fair question. SenseMe is Sony’s answer to Genius playlists. If you add a file to the Sony Music for PC while attached to your device, it will scan its “mood” and then place the song in one of like 12 playlists (Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, etc). Every time you visit a playlist, it’s in a different order, so it’s a good way to hear things you haven’t heard in a while. Not perfect, but it can surprise you by mixing artists or songs you wouldn’t have thought of.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #8,113 of 8,232

In my library the lowest resolution music I have is 16/44.1 Flac of CD rips that aren't available in any hi-res form. With the right iem/headphone and cable pairing I can definitely hear a difference between 16/44.1 Flac, 24/96 Flac and DSD. DSD recordings are warmer more analog sounding.

When I listen to the DSD version of Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel it takes me back to a high end audio show in late 80's where I heard that track played on at that time a $150,000 system. Tony Levin's bass at the end left me speechless. That recording and memory is the holy grail of sound that I've been chasing since then. It's amazing how far audio gear has come that we can get close to duplicating that experience in a portable system that is less than $10,000 (WM1-Z, MDR-Z1R, DHC Prion4).

A phenomenal DSD recording is Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. Three acoustic guitar masters at work. In this recording the guitars sound so natural and realistic. On my portable setup I feel like I'm on the stage with them.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #8,114 of 8,232
A phenomenal DSD recording is Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. Three acoustic guitar masters at work. In this recording the guitars sound so natural and realistic. On my portable setup I feel like I'm on the stage with them.

I hear you! Now I'll have to compare the DSD to the 96/24 version :D

Did you know that the second night of that concert is also out - "Saturday Night in San Francisco". It seems that Al had the tapes, he (??) remastered it and now it's been on the market for a while. The best thing is that there's no overlap in the two sets (Friday has been terrible truncated for the issue)

As for hearing the difference - many a mobile setting, like sitting on a plane or a bus, doing your job, etc are not exactly the best circumstances to hear minuscule differences between CD or hires quality. Any combination of my stuff (DAP, ear-/headphone, maybe an amp) that I listen to any one time is strictly in the 3-digit realm (taken at the actual purchase price, not list price) The whole collection is well into 4-digit country - why do I need e.g 5 DAPs, for crying out loud!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #8,115 of 8,232
For high-end gear I prefer to feed it the best I can eg. FLAC as a minimum. I know hi-res talk can start a fight, but I do have some DSD that I feel has something over the FLAC version. There have been several times I listened to albums I haven't listened to for years, and something has sounded a bit off, I then realized that these were in MP3 (EAC 320kb) that had slipped through the cracks when I re-ripped all my CDs to FLAC several years ago when I got my first Sony dap that played FLAC (the NW-A15).
I use direct source, but don't like the idea of upscaling, especially when SD cards are quite cheap these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back