Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 7, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #8,071 of 8,249
It shows up under "disk drivers" as "Sony walkman usb device"
Yes the error message the installer displays is nonsens. What the error normally means is that the device found is not what the installer expects. Each Walkman model has a device id and the installer checks to see if the device id of the connected Walkman is what the specific installer expects and if not it displays this error. All the modded fw and sound sigs mess around with this device id to force things to install that Sony had not intended to be installed.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #8,072 of 8,249
Yes the error message the installer displays is nonsens. What the error normally means is that the device found is not what the installer expects. Each Walkman model has a device id and the installer checks to see if the device id of the connected Walkman is what the specific installer expects and if not it displays this error. All the modded fw and sound sigs mess around with this device id to force things to install that Sony had not intended to be installed.

The installer is exactly the same as for the stock FW, so if it doesn't recognize the device, then something is different with the device.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #8,074 of 8,249
The installer is exactly the same as for the stock FW, so if it doesn't recognize the device, then something is different with the device.
Yes that’s what I’m saying that the device don’t respond with a device id that the installer expects to find. Typically this has happend when something non standard has been installed on the device and not reverted back to standard before trying to install something new, it’s happened several times for me either when I forgot that something had been installed or when I didn’t follow the correct sequence of installations

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #8,075 of 8,249
20240210_160935.jpg

Just got this and will be use as BT receiver with LDAC replacing my BTR7. Eagerly want to try the magic that Mr Walkman do

How to apply the J3 region? Can I change the J3 before I apply WalkmanOne firmware?

Or should I go long route from stock --> walkmanone ---> revert back to stock ---> change region to J3 ----> re install walkmanone?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #8,076 of 8,249
20240210_160935.jpg

Just got this and will be use as BT receiver with LDAC replacing my BTR7. Eagerly want to try the magic that Mr Walkman do

How to apply the J3 region? Can I change the J3 before I apply WalkmanOne firmware?

Or should I go long route from stock --> walkmanone ---> revert back to stock ---> change region to J3 ----> re install walkmanone?
i just change the region in the settings file and restart the device by re-installing the tune file for the tune (bright, neutral, warm, wm1z) no need to take the long route.

also, you should try out v2 mode and you might reconsider using it as bt receiver. (it happened to me) it doesnt work with bt though :/

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #8,077 of 8,249
i just change the region in the settings file and restart the device by re-installing the tune file for the tune (bright, neutral, warm, wm1z) no need to take the long route.

also, you should try out v2 mode and you might reconsider using it as bt receiver. (it happened to me) it doesnt work with bt though :/

Thanks for the guide mate. Unfortunately my main purpose of this WM1A buy is for BT receiver, so yeah BT receiver function is a must for me. Normal mode without V1 or V2 mode should have BT receiver functions as normal right? I read it somewhere here or other thread.

What is actually V2 do? Is it just a tuning that we can mimic with EQ or another thing?
Too bad we can't have V2 mode with BT function mode working properly 😢

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #8,078 of 8,249
Thanks for the guide mate. Unfortunately my main purpose of this WM1A buy is for BT receiver, so yeah BT receiver function is a must for me. Normal mode without V1 or V2 mode should have BT receiver functions as normal right? I read it somewhere here or other thread.

What is actually V2 do? Is it just a tuning that we can mimic with EQ or another thing?

V2 saves battery and I think the sound is a bit different too.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #8,079 of 8,249
20240211_150646.jpg

I managed to install walkman One CFW with WM1Z external tuning but my language still in japanese, something wrong with it?
Because I read when Walkman One applied, the default language will be automatically changed to english whatever the region, CMIIW

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #8,080 of 8,249
I managed to install walkman One CFW with WM1Z external tuning but my language still in japanese, something wrong with it?
Because I read when Walkman One applied, the default language will be automatically changed to english whatever the region, CMIIW

I'm not sure if it's automatic, it's more like "enables to change the GUI language to English in the DAP settings"

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #8,081 of 8,249

BT receiver does work with Plus mode but only as long as the screen is on.

J3 only exist in the fw version you find via a link in a post in this thread, not in the version you can download directly from MrWalkmans web site.

You manually have to go into the gui on the player to change language and that option is not available in the J regions so you need to change to another region in the settings file, reboot, change language in the gui to English and then you can change back to J in the settings file and reboot and that keeps the English language.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #8,082 of 8,249

J3 only exist in the fw version you find via a link in a post in this thread, not in the version you can download directly from MrWalkmans web site.

You manually have to go into the gui on the player to change language and that option is not available in the J regions so you need to change to another region in the settings file, reboot, change language in the gui to English and then you can change back to J in the settings file and reboot and that keeps the English language.

I've downloaded the latest version with J1 J2 J3 in this thread (07_03) is this the latest version?

Finally I've managed to change the language to english thanks to you man!
Have to turn off and reboot everytime of the process :
1. change region to MX3, turn off and reboot
2. Boot in MX3 region, change language in settings to English, turn off and reboot
3. Boot still in MX3 region with english language, change settings notepad to change region to J3, turn off and reboot
4. Boot in J3 region with English language!

Impressions coming later, currently in Walkman One, with WM1Z external tuning, normal mode (non V2 plus) because I want to keep the BT function working properly (will try V2 plus mode when I listening to music in the storage), and region was set to J3

Feb 11, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #8,083 of 8,249
I've downloaded the latest version with J1 J2 J3 in this thread (07_03) is this the latest version?

Finally I've managed to change the language to english thanks to you man!
Have to turn off and reboot everytime of the process :
1. change region to MX3, turn off and reboot
2. Boot in MX3 region, change language in settings to English, turn off and reboot
3. Boot still in MX3 region with english language, change settings notepad to change region to J3, turn off and reboot
4. Boot in J3 region with English language!

Impressions coming later, currently in Walkman One, with WM1Z external tuning, normal mode (non V2 plus) because I want to keep the BT function working properly (will try V2 plus mode when I listening to music in the storage), and region was set to J3
Yes that is the latest version. As I recal you can switch between Plus and not Plus by having the Lock switch on or of while booting but I have never tried it

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #8,084 of 8,249
Yes that is the latest version. As I recal you can switch between Plus and not Plus by having the Lock switch on or of while booting but I have never tried it

Thanks again for the info. Yes toggle between plus or normal just lock or unlock the lock button, as simple as that.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #8,085 of 8,249

Holy Ssssss !! I managed to have BT receiver mode working properly in Plus V2 mode, even with screen on or off, Tried so many times and I'm streaming Apple music lossless with LDAC codec through WM1A, audio quality priority 990kbps and currently screen is off!

I'm using lastest CFW (built 07_03) - 2022 i believe, downloaded from this thread that contains J1 J2 J3 experiments

Here my settings:

-Walkman One built 07_03 (2022), downloaded from this thread, newer than on website
-region set to J3
-external tuning WM1Z applied
-boot with plus V2 (lock button switched up when booting)

I switched off the lock button to enable touch screen again and just like that, trying BT receiver when in plus V2 mode just because it was worth trying, nothing to lose and didn't expect this.
On the note, I'm using LDAC connection here.

Again, thanks to you @nc8000 for your guidance and billion thanks to the one and only @MrWalkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back