Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #8,116 of 8,223
I hear you! Now I'll have to compare the DSD to the 96/24 version :D

Did you know that the second night of that concert is also out - "Saturday Night in San Francisco". It seems that Al had the tapes, he (??) remastered it and now it's been on the market for a while. The best thing is that there's no overlap in the two sets (Friday has been terrible truncated for the issue)

As for hearing the difference - many a mobile setting, like sitting on a plane or a bus, doing your job, etc are not exactly the best circumstances to hear minuscule differences between CD or hires quality. Any combination of my stuff (DAP, ear-/headphone, maybe an amp) that I listen to any one time is strictly in the 3-digit realm (taken at the actual purchase price, not list price) The whole collection is well into 4-digit country - why do I need e.g 5 DAPs, for crying out loud!
I also have the DSD version of "Saturday Night in San Francisco" :)

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #8,117 of 8,223
I also have the DSD version of "Saturday Night in San Francisco" :)

A seminal record.

I still have the LP, this was the record that introduced me (opened my eyes/ears) to all 3 of the maestros - it lead me to discover RTF, Mahavishnu, Shakti (not to mention the movies of Carlos Saura featuring Paco) in my teen years and enjoying their music ever since (guess I'm getting old).

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #8,118 of 8,223
A seminal record.

I still have the LP, this was the record that introduced me (opened my eyes/ears) to all 3 of the maestros - it lead me to discover RTF, Mahavishnu, Shakti (not to mention the movies of Carlos Saura featuring Paco) in my teen years and enjoying their music ever since (guess I'm getting old).
I also have the CBS Mastersound, Half-Speed Mastered copy of that record.

Growing up in the NY Metro area I was introduced to RTF, Mahavishnu Orchestra and other jazz fusion bands listening to WNEW-FM while in high school.

FYI, I saw RTF in1975 at the University of Rochester and sat maybe 20 feet from stage center, amazing concert.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #8,119 of 8,223
Aaaand back to wm1z, J3, plus mode v2, Gain = 0, Dac initialization = 1.

I doubt there will be a cleaner combo. Honestly, the treble extension is insane, it's honestly too much, I have to listen at lower volumes, but nothing competes even closely to the level of how clean this gets.

Gotta try this with Dmp z1 (bright), but good chance Wm1z wins this one, it really needs bass and mids to balance out the insane extension dac initialization + Plus mode v2 brings.

Edit: Added Gain = 1.

wm1z, J3, plus mode v2, Gain = 1, Dac initialization = 1.

This is the one!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #8,120 of 8,223
Aaaand back to wm1z, J3, plus mode v2, Gain = 0, Dac initialization = 1.

I doubt there will be a cleaner combo. Honestly, the treble extension is insane, it's honestly too much, I have to listen at lower volumes, but nothing competes even closely to the level of how clean this gets.

Gotta try this with Dmp z1 (bright), but good chance Wm1z wins this one, it really needs bass and mids to balance out the insane extension dac initialization + Plus mode v2 brings.

Edit: Added Gain = 1.

wm1z, J3, plus mode v2, Gain = 1, Dac initialization = 1.

This is the one!
Yep that’s what I’m on as well

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #8,121 of 8,223
Yep that’s what I’m on as well
I'm toying around with the gain = 1 and gain = 0, on one hand the extra gain kills the sibilance, on the other it kind of muffles the sound a bit, plus the presentation is much more in your face, not quite sure why.

I'll probably go back to gain = 0, but yeah, tried dmp z1 with dac initialization+pm2, for some reason wm1z with those two just sounds so much cleaner. It just needs a tiiiiny treble drop off.

Oh well, wondering how the next and final mrwalkman update will sound like, with the new region :) Only time will tell when it happens.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #8,122 of 8,223
I'm toying around with the gain = 1 and gain = 0, on one hand the extra gain kills the sibilance, on the other it kind of muffles the sound a bit, plus the presentation is much more in your face, not quite sure why.

I'll probably go back to gain = 0, but yeah, tried dmp z1 with dac initialization+pm2, for some reason wm1z with those two just sounds so much cleaner. It just needs a tiiiiny treble drop off.

Oh well, wondering how the next and final mrwalkman update will sound like, with the new region :) Only time will tell when it happens.
I’ve actually never tried gain 1

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #8,124 of 8,223
I'm a 1z, j3, high gain, alt dac v2 kinda guy a too. the dmpz1 version really adds some of that extra dsp flavor, which will color your sound significantly. i really like it, warm version adds mid intimacy, not really hearing any added midbass warmth. u3 on dmpz1 with alt dac is also real nice.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #8,125 of 8,223
I'm happily staying on WM1Z tuning, region J3, plus V2 mode too!

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #8,126 of 8,223
My previous setting on WM1Z: WM1Z, v2, alt dac, CEV (for neutral and better sub-bass rumble)
I have been exploring warm signature, because I just realized that I like warmth and I rarely explored this region. So I aim for warm but still maintain the high resolution. I am at this setting now: Warm, v2, alt dac, gain=0, U region. Still testing it with some IEM, what I get is warm analog like the original firmware with J region but with a good resolution and still maintaining the sparkle without any sibilance. Timbre is still right, vocals are right for both female and male, Madonna is still Madonna (no transformation to Big Momma, Michael Jackson does not sound like Nat King Cole as well), in "Welcome To New York" by Taylor Swift, no sibilance detected, it does not sound digital as well. In "Alive and Kicking" by Mr Big, the drum slam at the end of the song is impactful (good to excellent, not yet incredible, I want more air slammed to me). IER-M9 sounds fuller, Xelento does not lose its sparkle, XBA-Z5 sounds distant on some song but probably because my ears needs adjustment to its sound as I rarely listen using it.

The logic behind it, is because I feel that ESS chip is more suited to combine with tube amplifier, so the clinical U region adds the needed presence that warm signature needs and also give the sub-bass rumble as well.

Prior to this, I explored neutral with J3, which reminded me with SP 1000 M but with better imaging and soundstage

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #8,128 of 8,223
What is DAC initialization actually? I off it (0)

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #8,130 of 8,223
My previous setting on WM1Z: WM1Z, v2, alt dac, CEV (for neutral and better sub-bass rumble)
I have been exploring warm signature, because I just realized that I like warmth and I rarely explored this region. So I aim for warm but still maintain the high resolution. I am at this setting now: Warm, v2, alt dac, gain=0, U region. Still testing it with some IEM, what I get is warm analog like the original firmware with J region but with a good resolution and still maintaining the sparkle without any sibilance. Timbre is still right, vocals are right for both female and male, Madonna is still Madonna (no transformation to Big Momma, Michael Jackson does not sound like Nat King Cole as well), in "Welcome To New York" by Taylor Swift, no sibilance detected, it does not sound digital as well. In "Alive and Kicking" by Mr Big, the drum slam at the end of the song is impactful (good to excellent, not yet incredible, I want more air slammed to me). IER-M9 sounds fuller, Xelento does not lose its sparkle, XBA-Z5 sounds distant on some song but probably because my ears needs adjustment to its sound as I rarely listen using it.

The logic behind it, is because I feel that ESS chip is more suited to combine with tube amplifier, so the clinical U region adds the needed presence that warm signature needs and also give the sub-bass rumble as well.

Prior to this, I explored neutral with J3, which reminded me with SP 1000 M but with better imaging and soundstage
After using wm1z and J3 with v2 plus mode for month now I changed to warm signature and U region + v2 plus mode, oh man I love it...
thanks for your suggestion :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back