Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #8,132 of 8,223
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #8,133 of 8,223
Same settings as my previous post, except using music loaded onto internal memory for faster switching.

• WM1ZM2
    • Direct Sound (all adjustments OFF)
  • WM1ZM1 (fully burned in, since 2018)
    • Mr Walkman - Walkman One FW (plus v2, bright, JP)
    • Direct Sound
  • IER-Z1R - Balanced
  • Both Walkmans set to low gain @ 110
I think you need to use a different setting and retry the comparison, bright + J sounds organic but blurry, I would rather use J2 or U depending on whether you want sweet AKM like sound or sharp ESS with a higher resolution. Neutral + J3 is probably closer to M2. But you need to turn on the DSEE HX type A low to get equal sound stage and bass.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #8,135 of 8,223
I have an old Mr. Walkman firmware build - DMP-WM1_FE on my WM1A. Can I install the Walkman One firmware or do I need to revert back to stock Sony firmware first?
You need to revert to stock before installing Walkman One.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #8,136 of 8,223
I have an old Mr. Walkman firmware build - DMP-WM1_FE on my WM1A. Can I install the Walkman One firmware or do I need to revert back to stock Sony firmware first?

i have the same FW , let me know how W1 sounded

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #8,138 of 8,223
What the heck does the supposed home screen color change in the settings text file actually do? I changed it twice, and nothing on the player changed at all.
It changes the colour of the icons in the center of the home screen and it works but the change is fairly subtle. Have you rebooted the player after efiting the settings file, all settings are only activated at boot time.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #8,139 of 8,223
It changes the colour of the icons in the center of the home screen and it works but the change is fairly subtle. Have you rebooted the player after efiting the settings file, all settings are only activated at boot time.
This. The colors are very light, sort of a pastel. Blue looks almost white. You will notice more if you select red or green i believe. (Although, I prefer the blue). Very subtle.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #8,140 of 8,223
Hi everyone. I've read through more pages of this thread than I care to admit and I'm totally in awe of the knowledge on display here. It's humbling when you come across people that are such experts in their field/hobbies!

I'm a novice but I probably understand a bit more about audio stuff than your average person on the street, have learned so much by reading this thread too. I've never owned a high end system of any kind but some of my friends have over the years.

Anyway...I've recently bought a second hand Sony A45 that has only been used once or twice. It should arrive tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out. My main aim was getting a simple, music only device that was good value for money, sounds great and can make use of my digital music collection. My library has had very little playtime over the past 2-3 years and Spotify has made me lazy. I'd like to get back to curating and enjoying my own library of music again. Currently in the process of replacing most of my favourite albums with flacs but unfortunately some of my rips are very poor quality from back in the day. Updating them will be an ongoing thing.

I actually stumbled across all the Mr Walkman fw stuff after I'd decided to buy the A45. A friend swore by his A35 and I'd read good things about the A45 in general, not even taking into account custom fw. All of this is a total bonus for me and I'm glad I went for the 45 instead of one of the newer budget players (Mechen M30 etc).

I have a few questions of course, if people don't mind! Any other tips or advice are more than welcome, thanks.

1. I plan on installing Walkman One fw but how long do you recommend running it on stock? Have read about burn in on devices, does this need considering?

2. Have ordered a SanDisk 512GB Ultra to go with it, hopefully this will be ok?

3. Running Walkman One, will I be able to connect the A45 to a Bluetooth speaker? Would it also be possible to connect to a car stereo via AUX cable or the likes?

Bought a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro Xs that were on sale. I realise they're entry level but they will still be a huge improvement over any I've used in the past. I've tried a friend's ZS10 Pros and liked them. Will come back to you guys for advice when the inevitable upgrade happens!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #8,141 of 8,223
Hi everyone. I've read through more pages of this thread than I care to admit and I'm totally in awe of the knowledge on display here. It's humbling when you come across people that are such experts in their field/hobbies!

I'm a novice but I probably understand a bit more about audio stuff than your average person on the street, have learned so much by reading this thread too. I've never owned a high end system of any kind but some of my friends have over the years.

Anyway...I've recently bought a second hand Sony A45 that has only been used once or twice. It should arrive tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out. My main aim was getting a simple, music only device that was good value for money, sounds great and can make use of my digital music collection. My library has had very little playtime over the past 2-3 years and Spotify has made me lazy. I'd like to get back to curating and enjoying my own library of music again. Currently in the process of replacing most of my favourite albums with flacs but unfortunately some of my rips are very poor quality from back in the day. Updating them will be an ongoing thing.

I actually stumbled across all the Mr Walkman fw stuff after I'd decided to buy the A45. A friend swore by his A35 and I'd read good things about the A45 in general, not even taking into account custom fw. All of this is a total bonus for me and I'm glad I went for the 45 instead of one of the newer budget players (Mechen M30 etc).

I have a few questions of course, if people don't mind! Any other tips or advice are more than welcome, thanks.

1. I plan on installing Walkman One fw but how long do you recommend running it on stock? Have read about burn in on devices, does this need considering?

3. Running Walkman One, will I be able to connect the A45 to a Bluetooth speaker? Would it also be possible to connect to a car stereo via AUX cable or the likes?

Bought a pair of KZ ZS10 Pro Xs that were on sale. I realise they're entry level but they will still be a huge improvement over any I've used in the past. I've tried a friend's ZS10 Pros and liked them. Will come back to you guys for advice when the inevitable upgrade happens!

1. Stock or custom doesn't really matter for burning in. It would be something to listen to the stock firmware a bit just so you can notice the improvements in sound brought by the W1 firmware.

2. It can support cards up to 2 TB

3. Yes, you can play audio via BT to other devices (like headphones/speakers), and you can also use the A45 as a BT receiver (you can play audio from your phone/device to the player via BT, and the audio will come out of the player's audio jack).

I recommend reading the info/instructions from the readme file in the firmware .zip archive available for download, as well as the readme from the "external tunings" folder.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #8,142 of 8,223

1. Burn in can be done on any fw. The main reason to run (and listen) a while on the stock fw is to get an idea of the stock sound before playing with all the options awailable in WalkmanOne.

2. Yes that is fine, it should probably support up to 2TB cards, at least the A55 on WalkmanOne did.

3. You should still be able to use BT speakers and headphones. I’m pretty sure the WalkmanPort on the A45 does not support line out, but you can always run it from the headphone out

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #8,143 of 8,223
One more thing is that the A45 doesn't have the BT Receiver function on the stock firmware if I'm not mistaken, but with the W1 firmware it gets it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #8,145 of 8,223

Several years ago I got myself one of the first consumer-tier Sony daps that supported FLAC. This allowed me to finally ditch all my random bit rate mp3s and re-rip everything to FLAC, then properly tag them all - this was a significant step in my journey to raising the quality of my music listening.

I just want to warn you that it is highly probable that within 3-4 months you will be enjoying this set up so much that you will be enquiring about how much of a step up the WM1A is, then will have purchased one by month 6 - I suggest to start saving now.

See you on the threads :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back