Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #7,651 of 7,711
Coming late to the party, but I wondered if anyone else has had success using the existing charging circuit with a US453759 Cell?

I am skeptical of buying original cells as they are likely a few years old too.

Any pointers on saving my beloved ZX1 would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #7,652 of 7,711
Hi HRidge

My battery is now jumping from about 22% to 0 and turns off, so will need to replace my battery soon I think. After our conversation as above a year ago, looking at the NWZ-WM1 (not NW-ZX1 JP) service manual, the following part number is quoted for the Sony PN: A-1975-243-A and can be found here: https://uk.eetgroup.com/i/A1975243A-Sony-Battery-Assy-Li-Ion would it not be worth buying this than a 3rd party battery? https://www.subtel.co.uk/Battery-for-Sony-NWZ-ZX1-US453759-1000mAh-Replacement-battery-920491.html. This looks like it could be a genunine Sony Battery: https://pcparts.ocnk.net/phone/product/961

Did you make any progress with this Liono? I am about to order the subtel ones but note they only have two cables rather than 3... so not sure now.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #7,653 of 7,711
Did you make any progress with this Liono? I am about to order the subtel ones but note they only have two cables rather than 3... so not sure now.

Hi manmp, no my battery seems to be behaving itself so haven't bothered to replace, but am thinking I should buy a battery soon before prices go up. Look at how much the Hi-MD batteries (LIP-4WM) are now! I think for the sake of £20 extra I'd get the original Sony battery.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #7,655 of 7,711
Is it still possible to install and run Tidal on the ZX1?

Current version of Tidal on the Google Play store requires Android OS 5.0 as a minimum. Sadly, our ZX1 devices never got past 4.x. I think 4.4 was the last OS released for this device? Someone feel free to correct me on this. I haven't powered mine up since I converted my car's infotainment system to a Windows-based NUC (due to the GPS software requirements).

It's an unfortunate circumstance in today's world of constantly upgrading devices and short-lived software support, as that's how the companies seem to remain profitable. This is all the more apparent with my old Sony NW-F807, which doesn't even see any support to continue using the Google Play store itself!

I would argue they're all still very useful devices in that they do what's needed (play high quality audio) but it's just a shame that the software support has to suffer after just a few years. Maybe that's just this old man yearning for the days when we bought devices to last us at least a decade rather than just a few years. Seems wasteful to me.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #7,656 of 7,711
Current version of Tidal on the Google Play store requires Android OS 5.0 as a minimum. Sadly, our ZX1 devices never got past 4.x. I think 4.4 was the last OS released for this device? Someone feel free to correct me on this. I haven't powered mine up since I converted my car's infotainment system to a Windows-based NUC (due to the GPS software requirements).

It's an unfortunate circumstance in today's world of constantly upgrading devices and short-lived software support, as that's how the companies seem to remain profitable. This is all the more apparent with my old Sony NW-F807, which doesn't even see any support to continue using the Google Play store itself!

I would argue they're all still very useful devices in that they do what's needed (play high quality audio) but it's just a shame that the software support has to suffer after just a few years. Maybe that's just this old man yearning for the days when we bought devices to last us at least a decade rather than just a few years. Seems wasteful to me.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I read on tidal’s website that their minimum requirements are Android 5, but I wasn’t sure if maybe there’s a way to get around this? I know Spotify still support Android 4.1 so maybe I’ll just have to be limited to Spotify and local files

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #7,657 of 7,711
Well, if you wanted to take the chance, you could source the APK file from a third party but then you forego the protection of Google's people who are there to ensure that no rogue application makes its way to the user. Of course, Google are far from perfect with doing that, considering some apps that have slipped through the cracks like that. However, it's still much safer than the third party repositories.

That said, if you're not using the device on your local area network, so that it's reasonably isolated when in use and you've removed any trace of your Google account from it, then it's a chance you could take.

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #7,658 of 7,711
My “new” ZX1 arrived today :) not bad at all considering it’s age. Sideloaded Tidal and it’s working perfectly! It does hiss quite a bit and the 3.5mm jack feels kinda loose, but doesn’t really matter as I’ll be mainly using it as a transport with my PHA-2A. Battery seems to still be okay and Android 4.1 is reasonably snappy. For the price I paid, I’m stoked :)
A20B147B-2B60-4FF8-BBD6-629533268E29.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #7,659 of 7,711
My “new” ZX1 arrived today :) not bad at all considering it’s age. Sideloaded Tidal and it’s working perfectly! It does hiss quite a bit and the 3.5mm jack feels kinda loose, but doesn’t really matter as I’ll be mainly using it as a transport with my PHA-2A. Battery seems to still be okay and Android 4.1 is reasonably snappy. For the price I paid, I’m stoked :)
How did you “side load” Tidal? That is great, and I’d love to do so on mine.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #7,660 of 7,711
How did you “side load” Tidal? That is great, and I’d love to do so on mine.

I’m a complete android noob so I don’t know if this is considered “sideloading” but I just downloaded an older version of tidal from apkmirror and it installed fine. Just make sure you find a version of the app for Android 4.1.

Happy days :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #7,661 of 7,711
I have replaced my original battery after 6 years with https://www.subtel.co.uk/Battery-for-Sony-NWZ-ZX1-US453759-1000mAh-Replacement-battery-920491.html. Definitley a vast improvement as my old battery went to 0% very quickly. The only issue with the new battery is the indicator of battery level won't update during charge and play cycles, only each time when the unit is powered off/on or restarted. Eg after an hour of charging it shows as 12% on screen but once I powered off and on it showed the true battery level 75%. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to fix this?

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #7,662 of 7,711
I have replaced my original battery after 6 years with https://www.subtel.co.uk/Battery-for-Sony-NWZ-ZX1-US453759-1000mAh-Replacement-battery-920491.html. Definitley a vast improvement as my old battery went to 0% very quickly. The only issue with the new battery is the indicator of battery level won't update during charge and play cycles, only each time when the unit is powered off/on or restarted. Eg after an hour of charging it shows as 12% on screen but once I powered off and on it showed the true battery level 75%. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to fix this?

Did you swap the battery protection circuit from the old OE battery to the CELLONIC battery and discard the CELLONIC one? I'm sure I have read that this needs to happen, at least on the Japanese version of these players (NW-ZX1), which I have, as I imported in 2014. Not replaced mine yet.

edit: check out this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model.680853/post-14095517

The service manual appears to suggest that when replacing the battery that the service menu should be entered to reset the battery learning cycle values:
https://servlib.com/sony/audio/nwz-zx1.html?start=30
https://servlib.com/sony/audio/nwz-zx1.html?start=31

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #7,663 of 7,711
Hi guys,

So I’ve had my ZX1 for a couple of months now, and the hissing is really starting to annoy me.At first I thought it was just the particular IEM’s I was using, but now I’ve tried it on a number of different IEM’s and it hisses with everything.

Could it be faulty? Or is everyone’s fairly noisy?

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #7,664 of 7,711
Hi guys,

So I’ve had my ZX1 for a couple of months now, and the hissing is really starting to annoy me.At first I thought it was just the particular IEM’s I was using, but now I’ve tried it on a number of different IEM’s and it hisses with everything.

Could it be faulty? Or is everyone’s fairly noisy?

I've never noticed hissing on my Japanese unit. In fact I find it ultra clean noisewise. When the WIFI is turned on (rarely) I can hear faint electrical noise, but barely noticeable.

Apr 17, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #7,665 of 7,711
I've never noticed hissing on my Japanese unit. In fact I find it ultra clean noisewise. When the WIFI is turned on (rarely) I can hear faint electrical noise, but barely noticeable.

Thanks for the reply :)

I’m fairly sure mine is faulty. It’s super noisy. So I’ve kept it paired with a PHA-2A and use it purely as a transport.

02611C04-C4E8-4A63-9CE9-6AEE29F6C582.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back