Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #7,699 of 7,711
I have had issues like this with replacing small lithium Ion batteries in my Bluetooth running earphones.. the discharge and charge profile seems different to the OEM battery. In that scenario, a few discharges and charge cycles helped.

I posted a few pages back that according to the service manual it states to reset the battery monitoring system on the ZX1 to take account of the new battery - much like how BMW cars need their battery monitoring system reset. Unfortunately a special software package is required.
bit the bullet and sent it in for servicing... but, as expected I guess, they don't have the battery anymore.

would be great if someone had the software package =`(

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #7,700 of 7,711
bit the bullet and sent it in for servicing... but, as expected I guess, they don't have the battery anymore.

would be great if someone had the software package =`

Did you have any success with this? My unit has had quite a bit of use recently which helps with the behaviour of the battery, but decided to use wi-fi streaming from my NAS for a particular album and the unit shut down with the battery at 50%.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #7,701 of 7,711
Did you have any success with this? My unit has had quite a bit of use recently which helps with the behaviour of the battery, but decided to use wi-fi streaming from my NAS for a particular album and the unit shut down with the battery at 50%.

That's how it starts, and then quickly goes downhill from there. My unit is now completely useless. Which is a shame. Its a decent sounding player. I kept it like a new.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #7,702 of 7,711
That's how it starts, and then quickly goes downhill from there. My unit is now completely useless. Which is a shame. Its a decent sounding player. I kept it like a new.

That's a shame! Yes same as you, mine is absolutely mint, no scratches or anything, very well looked after. Am following the NW-WM1AM2 thread with interest, but struggling to justify the price of those even though I wanted a WM1A replacement two years ago.

I would be willing to replace the battery myself, as I've repaired the record head and OLED displays on my MZ-RH1 etc, but acknowledge that the service software is needed, so no point in trying.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #7,704 of 7,711
For my old NW-F807 unit, I removed the unobtainable battery and rewired it internally so that it could be powered via the USB cable in the absence of the battery, eliminating the risk of the old internal battery bulging and causing damage to the rest of the unit over time. I dare say the NW-ZX1 should be modifiable in that manner as well and that's what I intend to do should it come to that. Granted, that doesn't make it a pleasant experience for portability, having to carry around an external USB battery pack but that's the price I pay for squeezing every drop of life out of my tech.

That is the trick though. Removing the battery completely causes the NW-F807 to bootloop, as it's looking for a battery to monitor the charge. I'd have to disassemble the unit again to remember what I did exactly but if I remember correctly, it wasn't just a matter of feeding the same USB +5V to the monitoring point, as I think that was stopping it from powering up altogether, possibly an overvoltage protection mechanism. Don't quote me on this but I recall I needed a lower power rail from another point in the board to feed into the monitoring point, as the battery pack is obviously below 5V in normal operation too. I *think* I ended up using a 3.3V power rail for that but it was years ago when I did that modification.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #7,705 of 7,711
For my old NW-F807 unit, I removed the unobtainable battery and rewired it internally so that it could be powered via the USB cable in the absence of the battery, eliminating the risk of the old internal battery bulging and causing damage to the rest of the unit over time. I dare say the NW-ZX1 should be modifiable in that manner as well and that's what I intend to do should it come to that. Granted, that doesn't make it a pleasant experience for portability, having to carry around an external USB battery pack but that's the price I pay for squeezing every drop of life out of my tech.

That is the trick though. Removing the battery completely causes the NW-F807 to bootloop, as it's looking for a battery to monitor the charge. I'd have to disassemble the unit again to remember what I did exactly but if I remember correctly, it wasn't just a matter of feeding the same USB +5V to the monitoring point, as I think that was stopping it from powering up altogether, possibly an overvoltage protection mechanism. Don't quote me on this but I recall I needed a lower power rail from another point in the board to feed into the monitoring point, as the battery pack is obviously below 5V in normal operation too. I *think* I ended up using a 3.3V power rail for that but it was years ago when I did that modification.
Nicely done..

There are some genuine(?) batteries available from France on ebay and another sites, but given my experience of ordering one from Germany (different site) and being taken for a ride, I'm a little weary.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-sony-battery-a1975243a-nw-zx1-/323893977831

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #7,706 of 7,711
Nicely done..

There are some genuine(?) batteries available from France on ebay and another sites, but given my experience of ordering one from Germany (different site) and being taken for a ride, I'm a little weary.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-sony-battery-a1975243a-nw-zx1-/323893977831
That's exactly why I just consider the batteries to be unobtainable. They're a niche product, so I can't imagine there would be many batteries in circulation from the third-party market. Like you, I'm a little weary of the charlatans on the internet and I don't need the portability so much. The ZX1 used to be my in-car entertainment source (via the auxiliary input), which has since been replaced by a more comprehensive solution. Now it has become my very travel-friendly source for audio systems where I would be working or staying overseas, so I'm fine with it being powered off USB only.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #7,710 of 7,711
Hi
Got used one but unable to update firmware 1.14 as it’s already running on 1.14 to remove some battery drain and database update error.
When I am trying to run update on PC, its status quitting at 13-15% and on PC showing as successfully updated to 1.14 but On ZX-1 player showing status as update failed (error 7).
Even tried to download service mod tool but unable to get link for download.
Plz someone guide to resolve the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back