Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 24, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #7,636 of 7,711
Hi, is anyone using the Neutron Player app on their ZX1?

I use it to stream Music from an additional 128Gb SD card in my portable RAVPower (RP-WD01).

Recently I have tried both 24-bit FLAC and DSD albums and am convinced that the app is converting the files to 16-bit 44.1 KHz. Is there any way to make the app play natively? I presume the app doesn't have access fully to the Sony NW-ZX1 hardware.

May 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #7,637 of 7,711
I bought ZX1 now in 2019.

I can confirm its sound quality is just average... Shanling M1 could sound better than this unit. There's nothing I can point out about ZX1's sound. I'm not impressed...
Pono Player balanced output sounds much better than ZX1.
However ZX1 sounds still detailed enough, better than my Sony smartphone. ZX1's build quality and UI are outstanding.

I think ZX1 now worth about $130.
If you want real hi-fi audio experience, forget about ZX1. Buy ZX300 or ZX2 instead.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #7,638 of 7,711
The ZX1 is now five years old. It makes sense that it has been surpassed by newer devices. That's how it goes in this hobby. It still sounds good to my ear, although the battery in mine is pretty much toast now.

How much did you pay for a ZX1 in 2019? Was it new or used?

May 2, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #7,641 of 7,711
I paid $170 for a used unit but I recommend others to add $130 and get a used Sony ZX2 instead.

Sony ZX1 sounds just a little better than older android smartphones. I'm listening to ZX1 with Sony N3AP earbuds.

I can confirm LG V10 hi-fi mode sounds much better than ZX1.
Why not get LG V10 for $60 now? LG V10 with bad esn number now sells for $50 on ebay. You can use V10 as a DAP. I see LG V20 with bad esn is also around that price range.

However, Sony ZX1 is indeed compact and I like its build quality.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #7,642 of 7,711
Strange, I still think my 5 year old NW-ZX1 sounds great even compared to my Samsung s8. Disabling the Sound Enhancement app gives better clarity and volume. Battery still reasonably good.

No doubt other devices sound better, but currently happy. I do want to get the mooted 40th anniversary Walkman for my 40th birthday in July, but probably unlikely to be announced (if at all) until September.

Has anyone compared the ZX1 to the iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC? Sometimes I wonder if going to a smartphone with an offboard DAC is the future, but to me is a bit cumbersome.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #7,644 of 7,711
@Liono Check out LG V10, V20 hi-fi modes. Used LG V10 and V20 with bad IMEI (ESN) numbers cost only $60 on Ebay... and they'll sound much better than ZX1.
They have longer bettery life too.

Interesting! Don't LG V10 etc have ESS DAC's? I wonder if anyone has compared the LG's you suggest against the NW-WM1A, obviously significantly more expensive.

TBH I'm waiting for the 40th anniversary Walkman if it ever appears.

May 10, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #7,645 of 7,711
V10 is using SABRE, yes.

I have the same opinion about Sony PHA-2. I bought a PHA-2 many years ago. It didn't sound any better than my desktop's normal 3.5mm output.
It came with Hi-Res certification mark but PHA-2 sounded just plain...
ZX1's a little bit better but still it isn't impressive. iBasso DX100, R10, D55, Pono Player balanced output, LG V10 are the real hi-fi devices.

May 27, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #7,646 of 7,711
I still have zx1. The battery seems fine, charging once a week. Listening through FH5 and the sound is superb. For the spawn of this player's life I had sony pha-1a, fiio q5 and pha-3. Did not find much difference between zx1 and 1a. PHA-3 and Q5 have different sound compared to zx1, but they have the same problem - audio fatigue after short period of time. Seriously, after about hour or so my ears start to hurt even though I always listen through the same headphones. Thought this is a problem with IEM's and bought sony z7. And had the same problem with DAC's. Was not actually impressed with z7 sound after FH5. The bass is great, but the mid's are not. So I just sold all DAC's, Z7 and enjoying zx1.

Was thinking about buying V30 as replacement to my current phone, but I am now have a mixed feelings toward AK/SABRE DAC's. So not sure about that.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #7,647 of 7,711
I recently bought a second hand ZX1 on eBay UK, and shortly thereafter I noticed that a fully charged battery suddenly could result in low battery warning and shutoff.
So, finding the video above I was aware of the difference in the battery for Japan vs other editions, so I made sure that I bought a battery here in Europe (where I live), mostly because my ZX1 packaging really looked like a EU version.
Got the battery yesterday. I was assuming that the reference "US453759" would be the battery for me. It wasn't! The unit worked but it didn't charge.

I removed the blue label on my OEM battery (the blue label/sticker seen in the video) and found the number "US383759". Quick search on the interweb revealed that no one has it on stock (and price was horribly high had they had on stock).

So, I was gutted...until I got an idea. What if I swap the protection/controller board from the OEM battery to the new one?
The OEM battery is li-ion, the new one was lipo. Protection boards works for both types (at least it seems like it when reading the subject on the interweb)...so I made the swap and it works!!

So, if you are planning on fixin' yourself a new battery in your ZX1 and have some kind of soldering skills, this is one way of doing it!
If you go this path and swap the protection board in the battery cell, make sure that you observe the B+ and B- soldering points, my OEM vs the new had reversed direction, meaning that after I was done the 3 wires came out the other way, and that means that the battery is then mounted upside down compared to what it would have been with the other protection board...but that isn't an issue at all.
If you carefully open up the black and orange plastic on the top of the new battery (where the protection board is located) you will be able to close it properly too, so that you will not end up with a shortcut.

This was the battery I bought: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-...541809?hash=item41daab6cb1:g:FW0AAOSw2tFaVf1L
Here's another one in the US: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US453759...739475?hash=item544dd02513:g:V7IAAOSwWM9Zotv8

Note: there are two metal distance "shims" inside the unit that will be visible once you remove the 6+2 screws and lift the metal sheet, I dropped mine because I didn't hold the unit horizontally, but using logic I found out where they should be located.
Also: when prying open the ZX1 rear rubber, make sure that you do not touch the double sided tape with your fingers, because you want it to stick when you are done, and gently clean the metal sheet (rubber attaches to it) with alcohol before you remount the rubber.

Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask.

Hi HRidge

My battery is now jumping from about 22% to 0 and turns off, so will need to replace my battery soon I think. After our conversation as above a year ago, looking at the NWZ-WM1 (not NW-ZX1 JP) service manual, the following part number is quoted for the Sony PN: A-1975-243-A and can be found here: https://uk.eetgroup.com/i/A1975243A-Sony-Battery-Assy-Li-Ion would it not be worth buying this than a 3rd party battery? https://www.subtel.co.uk/Battery-for-Sony-NWZ-ZX1-US453759-1000mAh-Replacement-battery-920491.html. This looks like it could be a genunine Sony Battery: https://pcparts.ocnk.net/phone/product/961

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #7,648 of 7,711
I replaced mine with on original sony battery from eet europarts and it runs excellent since appr. 1 year now. I'm always very sceptical about alternative battery manufacturers, even when they possibly come from the same production line. If it's another high quality brand, no problem, but no-name is risky in my opinion.

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #7,649 of 7,711
I'm selling my mint condition ZX1 for $150 include shipping anywhere in US and Canada. It will come with charger cable. and ZX1 has protection glass on its screen.

Please send me PM if you're interested in buying this!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back