Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 10, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #7,606 of 7,711
Nice one Hridge! Good engineering skills and methodical research.

Is it hard to remove the protection circuit?

So does does this mean US383759 is for European players:
http://worcell.com/product_info.php?products_id=74618?osCsid=529f9ade248eb92ab0d6f706d320b04d

And US453759 for Japanese units? Or other way round?

What did you use to pry up the rear rubber of the unit? A plastic implement? I've see some use metal implements and they scratch the alloy body which isn't good. My battery isn't too bad, but good for future reference.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #7,607 of 7,711
Nice one Hridge

Is it hard to remove the protection circuit? Does it ruin the battery?

So does does this mean US383759 is for European players:
http://worcell.com/product_info.php?products_id=74618?osCsid=529f9ade248eb92ab0d6f706d320b04d

And US453759 for Japanese units? Or other way round?

The OEM battery didn't have the protection board soldered, it was factory spot welded, and it teared off really easy, so the battery isn't affected more than some parts of the tabs are broken off.
If the protection board is soldered on, then it does not affect the battery at all if you desolder the board, provided that you do not run your soldering iron too hot of course.

The link you provide shows a battery without the protection board, with visible tabs, and that battery probably fits any ZX1, but it won't work without a board.

I'd like to attach an image or two but I can't seem to be able to upload images (missing the "Image button which appears as a yellow square with mountains and a moon")...so I'll try to explain it.

The protection board is soldered or spot welded on those protrouding tabs and then it's folded 180 degrees
Plastic protection is then wrapped round the top part of the battery and 3 wires stick out from the board, red for power, black for ground, white for control

I used a scalpel to separate the plastic so I managed to open up the new battery without damages, and that battery had the board soldered, so I just had to desolder that board.
Then I put on some fresh solder on the B+ and B- terminals on the OEM board because they were clean due to them being spot welded.
Then resolder the OEM board, turned the other way around to have the B+ and B- correctly fit.
Gently folded the board 180 degrees. The reason they are produced that way is probably to make them shorter, by folding the board over the tabs it becomes shorter. You will see how this is done when you open the OEM battery.
Closed the orange and black plastic protection.
Mounted the battery, backside up to get the wires in correct pos.
Solder on the wires, pcb board has legends for + and - terminals.
Test and hope for the best.

The battery I got was the black one with ref "US453759" written on it, and it didn't work, and my ZX1 is from my guess a EU version...so I conclude that US453759 is Japan or something else, not EU. The EU battery should read "US383759"...and if someone plans to source a working battery then you have to make sure that you buy a "complete" US383759 that has the protection board fitted. At least this is what I think from my own tests.

If someone could tell me how to actually add images I can add a couple of images of my OEM battery, in a disassembled state.
I have read the site description of how to attach images, but I do not seem to have that possibility, probably because I'm a new user.
I registered here just so that I could share my experience, because I think that the ZX1 deserves to be fixed and used, so ask more questions if needed!

If you google "3.7 protection board" and look at images you will find a lot of batteries where the board is visible thru yellow plastic protection, it might give you a hint of the task.

My recommendation is to not assume that a new battery won't work, solder it on and try before you decide to swap the protection board.

About the rubber removal, first I tried a small screwdriver but noticed that it might scratch the body, I ended up using a scalpel.
You only need to get a part of the rubber lifted so that you can put in a plastic tool and go from there.
It's thick rubber and it seems to be able to cope with a lot of stress.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #7,608 of 7,711
I just remembered that when looking for "383759" I got a lot of hits on lipo batteries, so maybe the "US383759" only means "a battery of a certain size"...and then the protection/controller board differs between EU/Japan?
The controller board that I have left (the board that was fitted to the new battery, when it didn't work in the ZX1) has the text "A102-A JST10" printed on it.
Sad to say, I didn't take a photo of the OEM board, and I didn't look for printed references on it.

The plastic label that surrounds the OEM battery has "LIS1530HNPC(SY6)" printed on it (this number has been mentioned previously in this thread).

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #7,609 of 7,711
Hi, I recently bought a second hand hardly used NWZ-ZX1 and after 1 days with it I'm having mixes feelings to be honest.
The main issue with it, as mentioned many times in the thread before, is the volume. Seriously, my old Cowon S9 and my Zune HD plays signinficantly louder, it's just isn't any punch in the music and you dont get the overwealming experience you want. Now, I've turned off everything, clear audio+, the thing that sets the volume to a lower maximum. And for some reason my audio settings crash now when I try to enter it, where all the EQ's are and so on.
I have the EU CE model, made in Malaysia it says on the back.
I'm really considering to sell it onwards, take the eventuel loss and do as I intendned to do, by a Cowon Plenue D.
I can cope with the battery life, absolutley. But not the volume. Anyone has any suggestions?

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #7,610 of 7,711
Hi, I recently bought a second hand hardly used NWZ-ZX1 and after 1 days with it I'm having mixes feelings to be honest.
The main issue with it, as mentioned many times in the thread before, is the volume. Seriously, my old Cowon S9 and my Zune HD plays signinficantly louder, it's just isn't any punch in the music and you dont get the overwealming experience you want. Now, I've turned off everything, clear audio+, the thing that sets the volume to a lower maximum. And for some reason my audio settings crash now when I try to enter it, where all the EQ's are and so on.
I'm really considering to sell it onwards, take the eventuel loss and do as I intendned to do, by a Cowon Plenue D.
I can cope with the battery life, absolutley. But not the volume. Anyone has any suggestions?
Thats because EU ZX1 models have a volume limit on them. Try searching up this thread on how to remove the volume limit. (Btw I don't own a ZX1)
Edit : Search for the keywords "volume cap"

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #7,611 of 7,711

Certainly on my Japanese unit, if I disable the sound enhancements app, the volume jumps up significantly. worth trying that on your EU unit. It's been discussed previously in this thread.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #7,612 of 7,711
Certainly on my Japanese unit, if I disable the sound enhancements app, the volume jumps up significantly. worth trying that on your EU unit. It's been discussed previously in this thread.

Yeah tried that as well, was a slightly difference. But nearly enough, and I'm having the same music as on the other players so I know how loud they can go.

Is it just to sell it onwards you think?

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #7,613 of 7,711
Yeah tried that as well, was a slightly difference. But nearly enough, and I'm having the same music as on the other players so I know how loud they can go.

Is it just to sell it onwards you think?

I understand the issue. I have some Dire Straits DSD albums that were produced at a rather low level and one really needs to crank up the volume even on my Japanese model to drive my not particularly special MDR-1R headphones. up to you, I'm wondering about the NW-WM1a with the volume cap removed, but not sure I can justify it really, also the ZX1 looks better aesthetically.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #7,614 of 7,711
I'm wondering about the NW-WM1a with the volume cap removed, but not sure I can justify it really

I agree with you on that. The price is borderline ridiculous, in my opinion. I still have my Japanese ZX1 and it serves its purpose primarily as my in-car entertainment source (plugged into the Aux via the USB+RCA breakout cable I bought for it). The battery has gotten pretty bad so I'm thinking of making it a permanent fixture in the car and remove the battery altogether.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #7,615 of 7,711
I agree with you on that. The price is borderline ridiculous, in my opinion. I still have my Japanese ZX1 and it serves its purpose primarily as my in-car entertainment source (plugged into the Aux via the USB+RCA breakout cable I bought for it). The battery has gotten pretty bad so I'm thinking of making it a permanent fixture in the car and remove the battery altogether.

Yeah I can afford one, but that's not the point. Are the components really worth double that of the ZX1, I don't think so, think Sony are charging more because they can. When the ZX1 sold much better than expected they knew there was a market for it. I too use my ZX1 with my cars Aux in using a 3.5 to WM adaptor. Luckily my battery is still very good four years on. It does jump from 8% to 0 very quickly now, but other than that it's very good. perhaps i'll consider the 40th anniversary model depending upon price.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #7,617 of 7,711
Yeah I can afford one, but that's not the point. Are the components really worth double that of the ZX1, I don't think so, think Sony are charging more because they can. When the ZX1 sold much better than expected they knew there was a market for it. I too use my ZX1 with my cars Aux in using a 3.5 to WM adaptor. Luckily my battery is still very good four years on. It does jump from 8% to 0 very quickly now, but other than that it's very good. perhaps i'll consider the 40th anniversary model depending upon price.
I have the 1Z, and yes it is expensive , but the sq is a lot more expansive, detailed, and full bodied than the ZX1 when using the 4.4mm balanced. And the battery life is crazy good! As to value, only you can decide that for yourself. If you're using it primarily as a transport for other equipment, stick with the ZX1, but as a stand alone DAP I would recommend at least auditioning the new models if you can. As for my ZX1, I have to use it pretty much exclusively with the charging cradle, as the battery now runs about 2 hours from full charge to shut down.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #7,618 of 7,711

I have both, an EU capped ZX1 and an uncapped WM1A. The WM1A is simply that good. The volume of the ZX1 is good for inear and easy to drive cans. I did a test with the HD800, it works, but not very dynamically. The Sony Z7 on the other hand is very good On the ZX1. So is the Sony Z1R. Both are very good On the ZX1 abdominal superb on the WM1A.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #7,619 of 7,711
If anyone is interested about an update of my NWZ-ZX1 I can provide you the details.
I did as I said I would probarly do, sell it onwards and purchase a Cowon Plenue D instead. Said and done, almost...choosed a Plenue J instead cause of the bigger internal memory and is hoping for a more pleasurable audio-experience then this rubbish crap. Honestly I have never been so dissapointed with a purchase in my whole life.
For music lovers, by music lovers is whats displaying when you turn the device on, really? Well make it play louder then so I can choose the volume instead of bedtime-story volume mode as the highest.
The design was outstanding, but what good does that do when it plays so freaking low?! Well anyway, I'll have had a S9 back in the days, probarly likely about 8-9 years back and that one plays louder, signifficantly louder. So hopefully they havent changed their progress here.

Throw this peace of rubbish in the garbagecan where it belongs.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #7,620 of 7,711
If anyone is interested about an update of my NWZ-ZX1 I can provide you the details.
I did as I said I would probarly do, sell it onwards and purchase a Cowon Plenue D instead. Said and done, almost...choosed a Plenue J instead cause of the bigger internal memory and is hoping for a more pleasurable audio-experience then this rubbish ****. Honestly I have never been so dissapointed with a purchase in my whole life.
For music lovers, by music lovers is whats displaying when you turn the device on, really? Well make it play louder then so I can choose the volume instead of bedtime-story volume mode as the highest.
The design was outstanding, but what good does that do when it plays so freaking low?! Well anyway, I'll have had a S9 back in the days, probarly likely about 8-9 years back and that one plays louder, signifficantly louder. So hopefully they havent changed their progress here.

Throw this peace of rubbish in the garbagecan where it belongs.
Yeah, It's pretty much an iem only DAP. Hate the battery. At some point, if you haven't given up on Sony, The WM1x's are terrific DAP's. Obviously though, they are much more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back