Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #7,666 of 7,711
Well, if you wanted to take the chance, you could source the APK file from a third party but then you forego the protection of Google's people who are there to ensure that no rogue application makes its way to the user. Of course, Google are far from perfect with doing that, considering some apps that have slipped through the cracks like that. However, it's still much safer than the third party repositories.

That said, if you're not using the device on your local area network, so that it's reasonably isolated when in use and you've removed any trace of your Google account from it, then it's a chance you could take.

Thanks for this, enjoying Tidal on my ZX1! Albeit with no Master / Hi-Res playback unfortunately.

20200511_202358_copy_556x918.jpg

May 12, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #7,667 of 7,711
Hello folks; I just restarted my good old ZX, and it looks like the battery is failing. It was on (100%) during the night, and this morning it's already empty. I checked the last pages and you mention ways to replace battery, but there are different references depending if it's a Japanese unit or not.
I bought mine in Japan 6 years ago, and I am wondering which battery I should buy if any, or if it would be easier to find a Sony store and replace it there...

Any advice is welcome :raised_hands:

May 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #7,668 of 7,711
Hello folks; I just restarted my good old ZX, and it looks like the battery is failing. It was on (100%) during the night, and this morning it's already empty. I checked the last pages and you mention ways to replace battery, but there are different references depending if it's a Japanese unit or not.
I bought mine in Japan 6 years ago, and I am wondering which battery I should buy if any, or if it would be easier to find a Sony store and replace it there...

Any advice is welcome :raised_hands:

Well mine is the Japanese Model (NW-ZX1) and also 6 years old and I got in contact with the guys at eet europarts to ask if the battery (A1975243A) will work with the Japanese model and the response was yes. I can only find one service manual and it specifies the A1975243A Sony Battery. I know one can buy the cheaper oem battery, but to my mind its better to retain the OE battery protection circuit.

https://uk.eetgroup.com/i/A1975243A-Sony-Battery-Assy-Li-Ion

May 26, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #7,669 of 7,711
you can get quality batteries from sino cameron on amazon, you maybe able to find them on amazon, ebay has them, but it should be around US$20/gbp13 not sure about nwz-zx1 on there, shipping cost is cheap though

you also get cameron sino to mail order by surface mail, takes 2-4 month though as they are based in Hong Kong and have factories in China, while i never used them for walkman, i have used them for 3ds xl, psp, ds and ps vita, if you order directly, min order 5 batteries, but if you buy from directly, around US$12/8gbp each

https://www.cameronsino.com/productsearch.html?query=ZX1

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #7,670 of 7,711
Well mine is the Japanese Model (NW-ZX1) and also 6 years old and I got in contact with the guys at eet europarts to ask if the battery (A1975243A) will work with the Japanese model and the response was yes. I can only find one service manual and it specifies the A1975243A Sony Battery. I know one can buy the cheaper oem battery, but to my mind its better to retain the OE battery protection circuit.

In fact it looks like the battery is failing when connected to wifi. There the battery drains very quickly, a matter of hours, even when not doing anything with it.
When wifi is off the battery is decent, so I will not change anything yet, thanks for the feedback though !

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #7,671 of 7,711
In fact it looks like the battery is failing when connected to wifi. There the battery drains very quickly, a matter of hours, even when not doing anything with it.
When wifi is off the battery is decent, so I will not change anything yet, thanks for the feedback though !

Yes wi-fi eats the battery on our units, even on standby. I always have aeroplane mode on and sometimes use a battery monitor which disables all non essential apps. I still feel my original battery is performing very well 6 years on.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #7,672 of 7,711
I’m a complete android noob so I don’t know if this is considered “sideloading” but I just downloaded an older version of tidal from apkmirror and it installed fine. Just make sure you find a version of the app for Android 4.1.

Happy days :)

Anyone else's Tidal app stopped working? Mine won't allow me to Login, giving me a message, "network error: please check your internet connection”. I've tried clearing Cache, removing and reinstalling the app, but still get the same issue. I am using Tidal Version 2.2.4.

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #7,673 of 7,711
Anyone else's Tidal app stopped working? Mine won't allow me to Login, giving me a message, "network error: please check your internet connection”. I've tried clearing Cache, removing and reinstalling the app, but still get the same issue. I am using Tidal Version 2.2.4.

It looks like Tidal have dropped support for older releases of their app. The same thing was happening on my zx2 as well

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #7,675 of 7,711

I can confirm that! I've replaced mine with a cheap one from ebay, but it would not charge.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #7,676 of 7,711
I can confirm that! I've replaced mine with a cheap one from ebay, but it would not charge.

That's useful information, thanks. Presumably you didn't swap the battery protection circuit from original battery?

I am a bit wary of buying non OE, as I've recently bought a similar Chinese battery for my MZ-RH1 and placed in the LIP-4WM case and although it works so much better than the dying 14 year old original, it doesn't give the performance of the original as it was new and also battery indication jumps from full to half full very quickly.

I need to buy a battery, but no point in me buying an OE one unless I can get my hands on the Sony Service Mode software zip file in order to be able to reset the battery levels (as described in the service manual). I wonder if anyone has this to share!?

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #7,678 of 7,711
Are you thinking of buying a ZX1? Unless you can get one cheap cheap cheap, I would look elsewhere. It was great when it came out 6 years ago but now you'll find the screen small, the interface slow, and a lot of Android apps no longer compatible with it (like Tidal, for instance).

Or you can ignore me if you already have the ZX1 and are thinking of upgrading.

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #7,679 of 7,711
if you already have the ZX1 and are thinking of upgrading
Yes, I have the ZX1 :). And think if someone might have compared
NWZ-ZX1 and SONY NW-WM1A in terms of the SQ.
The rest doesn't bother me much (screen, apps, interface) as I still
own a heavily modified HiFiMAN 801. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back