Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #7,681 of 7,711
So after almost 7 years my NW-ZX1 is starting to jump from 30% to flat and shuts down so need a new battery. Being a procrastinating idiot I never bought a genuine battery when in stock at EET in europe. So have ordered what I thought was a genuine Sony battery from here:

http://www.normenmueller.de/product...on-fur-network-walkman-nwzzx1-mp3-player-neu/

But I got a tracking email stating it was coming from China! Not arrived yet so could possibly be genuine but not holding out much hope. Hope it's not a 3rd party battery that is effectively the same at the £10 batteries you can buy!

If it's similar to this item which is also from Germany and noted as an Akku battery then I might be alright. Will update when it arrives.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192488657817

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #7,682 of 7,711
Just an update to the above (if anyone is really that interested lol) ..

I still haven't received the battery and we're almost in April! Tracking has stopped at 12th February when apparently airfreighted from China. Emailed the German shop twice for a refund but they keep saying it'll be alright, we'll chase it for you. Yeah right it's been 2 months now!

I do not recommend at all! I was under the assumption the part was in stock in Germany. Might have to get in touch with credit card company to force a refund.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #7,683 of 7,711
Received a package early April from China which was without a battery, just a pair of fake Oakley glasses! Given the shop three more attempts to redund me.. radio silence! Taken the matter up with the Credit Card company. Lesson learnt for me :)

Anyhow not used the ZX1 for a couple of weeks and it has lasted 14 days on standby. Not bad. Will make do with still a reasonable battery.

20210430_102034_copy_567x464.jpg

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #7,684 of 7,711
That sucks!

I must check mine - I don't use it due to all my gear terminated to 4.4mm. But last time I checked 6-8 months ago it was still going ok. With the right iem, its still a decent device.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #7,685 of 7,711
That sucks!

I must check mine - I don't use it due to all my gear terminated to 4.4mm. But last time I checked 6-8 months ago it was still going ok. With the right iem, its still a decent device.

Ah yes.. I got a lovely 4.4mm KBEAR cable for my XBA-H3's last year.. never been able to use it. Waiting for a NW-WM1A replacement, or may move to an external DAC solution like the PHA-2A as more and more I'm using my WF-1000XM3's paired with my S10 phone unless at home.

Despite what people say the NW-ZX1 is definitely more powerful (especially with sound enhancements disabled) and clearer sound than the S10. Still gets used regularly 7 years on :)

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #7,686 of 7,711
Ah yes.. I got a lovely 4.4mm KBEAR cable for my XBA-H3's last year.. never been able to use it. Waiting for a NW-WM1A replacement, or may move to an external DAC solution like the PHA-2A as more and more I'm using my WF-1000XM3's paired with my S10 phone unless at home.

Despite what people say the NW-ZX1 is definitely more powerful (especially with sound enhancements disabled) and clearer sound than the S10. Still gets used regularly 7 years on :)
Definitely does kick any phones ass which isn’t LG! I’ve given up waiting for a WM1A replacement - I have one incoming 😉

The issue with the ZX1 is it’s such a dark sounding device. It needs a nice bright IEM.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #7,687 of 7,711
Received a package early April from China which was without a battery, just a pair of fake Oakley glasses! Given the shop three more attempts to redund me.. radio silence! Taken the matter up with the Credit Card company. Lesson learnt for me :)

Anyhow not used the ZX1 for a couple of weeks and it has lasted 14 days on standby. Not bad. Will make do with still a reasonable battery.

20210430_102034_copy_567x464.jpg
did you ended up getting your zx1 battery replaced? :L3000:

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #7,690 of 7,711
Hihi. :beerchug:
Good for you! I just got my pre-owned zx1 from e-earphone from Japan and I don't think mine last as long as urs. Maybe 10+ days standby for mine so urs is for sure still in good shape.

Good job, they are lovely objects. Yes my battery isn't too bad actually, I can get 12 days standby in aeroplane mode. If I don't use the unit for a long time the battery can jump from 20% to empty, but doesn't seem to occur if used regularly. 7.5 years and still going strong :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #7,691 of 7,711
After a few weeks for listening I still cannot say I fully understand the nature of this amazing little device.

On my er4B it is extremely detailed, very well controlled treble and hard-hitting bass and detailed sub-bass. This is not at all easy to come by as only a well driven 4B would have a treble like that with zx1 which is not harsh, female vocal that is extremely smooth.

On the other hand with my EX1000's it sounds like it does not have enough separation, and there is some serious distortion in the treble: cymbals sound particularly unrealistic. This problem is resolved when I plug EXK into the more powerful Sony D50 recorder.

Although in both cases the zx1 keeps the vocal vibrant and brilliant :L3000:

I guess it does not have enough POWA to drive a dynamic driver IEM well?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #7,692 of 7,711
So.

battery failing.. no longer charging... then, won't even start plugged in.

Bought a new oem battery from aliexpress. 1300mah vs 970, so, an upgrade in capacity as well.

Paid someone a few bucks to soldier it on, and holy shiet the old battery is bloated and warped, so definitely dead-dead.

Post soldering.. it turns on, works... but now it's not charging :dt880smile:

Transferring out all my files now while there's still power lol.. but oh no... any solutions to this? I remember reading about someone changing a board somewhere, but any non-physical workarounds?

:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #7,693 of 7,711
So.

battery failing.. no longer charging... then, won't even start plugged in.

Bought a new oem battery from aliexpress. 1300mah vs 970, so, an upgrade in capacity as well.

Paid someone a few bucks to soldier it on, and holy shiet the old battery is bloated and warped, so definitely dead-dead.

Post soldering.. it turns on, works... but now it's not charging :dt880smile:

Transferring out all my files now while there's still power lol.. but oh no... any solutions to this? I remember reading about someone changing a board somewhere, but any non-physical workarounds?

:sweat_smile:

I have had issues like this with replacing small lithium Ion batteries in my Bluetooth running earphones.. the discharge and charge profile seems different to the OEM battery. In that scenario, a few discharges and charge cycles helped.

I posted a few pages back that according to the service manual it states to reset the battery monitoring system on the ZX1 to take account of the new battery - much like how BMW cars need their battery monitoring system reset. Unfortunately a special software package is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back