Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #6,106 of 7,711
Has anyone tried connecting the ZX1 to a receiver/amp? I understand there's WM-port to Stereo RCA cables available, but I'm confused if connecting it this way would be considered digital out or line out? For example, how does the player know which mode to go into?

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6,107 of 7,711
Aug 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #6,108 of 7,711
Does anyone know how this will compare with the DX90? My earphones are the Roxanne Sirens universal. I like good old classic rock, Floyd, Zeppelin, jazz, blues, and classical. I've ordered the DC and thinking on the NWZ-ZX1. But I only want one player. I'm upgrading from the X3. Tried some Google and searches here for a VS's thread but no luck. Thanks Jeff.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6,109 of 7,711
For standalone unit, it's just a little too weak. The sound to me is crystal clear, but I really feel like I need to use an amp to fully bring it out. If I am not able to use an amp, I prefer my X3 sadly.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #6,110 of 7,711
For standalone unit, it's just a little too weak. The sound to me is crystal clear, but I really feel like I need to use an amp to fully bring it out. If I am not able to use an amp, I prefer my X3 sadly.

Wow that's sad. I ordered one anyway. I guess I'll test drive them both to see what I like. I'm really liking the android idea. I wish my Note 2 had better sound. I'm holding out on a new phone to see what will be released before Christmas, as I have to buy full price to keep my unlined data. I really don't want to buy an amp. How does the sound compare? And if amped, which would be the right pairing for the Roxy's?

Thanks, Jeff.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #6,111 of 7,711
I have both DX90 and ZX1 so I guess I can comment. Sound wise I prefer Sony - just a bit but still. If You earphones don't require high power then it's a good solution. DX90 is a better choice for more demanding ones

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #6,112 of 7,711
Wow that's sad. I ordered one anyway. I guess I'll test drive them both to see what I like. I'm really liking the android idea. I wish my Note 2 had better sound. I'm holding out on a new phone to see what will be released before Christmas, as I have to buy full price to keep my unlined data. I really don't want to buy an amp. How does the sound compare? And if amped, which would be the right pairing for the Roxy's?

Thanks, Jeff.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds beautiful. I just like listening at very high levels. I had a note 2,and have a note 3, ZX1 is a better alternative to either. You may want to consider Viper4Android for your Note, if you are rooted. sounds incredible.

Zx1 with Roxannes should be fine, there are some tweaks to get a little. more volume out of them. Shutting off the sound enhancements works wonders.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #6,114 of 7,711

1. Do you have the unit with the Euro volume limitation ?
2. What 'phones are you using ?

I admit that I enjoy the extra power I get with my PHA-2 hooked to the ZX1, but the exponential drain on both batteries is annoying. I also have an iPod Classic chained to the ADL X1 and neither source nor DAC/amp exhibit the same symptoms, but its clear from the heft of the PHA-2 that Sony got serious with their latest portable amp - I just wish they'd spent a little more time on the 1980's style charging circuit. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #6,115 of 7,711
I have hesitated to buy PHA-2 together with the ZX1. I was concerned that my Shure 535 would not be driven properly by the ZX1

Upon advices i got there, i decided to go for it.Three weeks later, i do think this was a no brainer.!!

ZX1 is a great standalone DAP but the PHA-2 brings more than volume to it. The sound is punchier, more enveloping and lively. I feel the performer closer to me. For me it's not a subtle gain at all! The fact that I can stream QoBuz is also great.

In fact, i would not consider to go out without my amp now

However, as mentioned by Estreeter, the battery capacity is a serious issue using the digital cable.

To solve this I tried the line out but was disappointed.

Could you please explain to me why. If i understand well: in this configuration Sony's DAC will be used and PHA-2 will serve only as AMP? Is it correct?
Does it mean ZX1's DAC is inferior to PHA-2's?

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #6,116 of 7,711
@estreeter-I have the Japanese model. I really do listen to my phones, at times, way too loud. Without the sound enhancements, it is definitely better.

I use strictly IEMS. Heir 8.0, Aurisonics ASG2, and Tralucent Ref 1.

Maybe it is that I like the punchier bass like planemaker said in his post... Maybe it's time to revisit the zx1 without an amp again... I just know I prefer to have it amped, where as the X3 I am happy without an amp for sure. Don't get me wrong, zx1 sounds better than the X3, it's clearer for sure, but X3 by itself has that little extra oomph that I enjoy. Usually when I can not use an amp, is when I need it most, i.e. at the gym in a loud environment, where loud, screaming music gets my blood going.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #6,117 of 7,711
Will I need to amp this with the Roxy's, or will it be able to feed it without an amp. If it needs and amp then I might as well look at a different player. I really wouldlike to not have to not need to carry a brick every time I'm on the road/motorcycle. I am interested in this player because of the Android system and all the player apps an especially the streaming apps. I saw the G3 H/K version was 24/192 , but there was no mention on what the amp section if any. Ideally I would like a phone and player all in one.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #6,118 of 7,711
@estreeter-I have the Japanese model. I really do listen to my phones, at times, way too loud. Without the sound enhancements, it is definitely better.

I use strictly IEMS. Heir 8.0, Aurisonics ASG2, and Tralucent Ref 1.

Maybe it is that I like the punchier bass like planemaker said in his post... Maybe it's time to revisit the zx1 without an amp again... I just know I prefer to have it amped, where as the X3 I am happy without an amp for sure. Don't get me wrong, zx1 sounds better than the X3, it's clearer for sure, but X3 by itself has that little extra oomph that I enjoy. Usually when I can not use an amp, is when I need it most, i.e. at the gym in a loud environment, where loud, screaming music gets my blood going.

So what is the difference between the Japanese version and the USA version?

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #6,120 of 7,711
I am waiting for my zx1 to arrive.

I am concerning that: how to add album art to FLAC?
To add album art to most other daps it can be as simple as draging image files to the same folder.
I don't think zx1 original player support this.

Another I may concern is that when use third party music player in zx1, how about the sound quality?
Does other players sound as good as zx1 walkman?

Hope it sounds as good as my dx90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back