Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #6,122 of 7,711
Stock player sounds the best
biggrin.gif

Hook one up to the PHA-2 using the supplied digital cable and get back to me on that  :wink:

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #6,123 of 7,711
I personally can't tell the difference between the stock player and third party ones like poweramp. I don't use any sound enhancements (clearaudio+, eq, etc)....but my ears are certainly not golden!

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #6,125 of 7,711
I personally can't tell the difference between the stock player and third party ones like poweramp. I don't use any sound enhancements (clearaudio+, eq, etc)....but my ears are certainly not golden!

I did hear a difference between Poweramp and the stock player, albeit a small one. After using Viper4Android on my phone with Poweramp though, I think if you use Poweramp on the ZX1 and untick the option for direct volume control under settings -> audio -> advanced tweaks, it will sound pretty similar to the stock player. Could be wrong though, I'm yet to try it. I haven't found another player I like quite as much as Poweramp yet (ability to choose a song in an album but maintain shuffle from all songs ftw). n7player was neat, I quite like the windows phone aesthetic.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #6,126 of 7,711
The ZX1 to me is the best portable spotify player. Even beats my iPod touch amped w vorzuge duo and my htcM8.

For lossless, compared to my ak240 using grado Sr325 and jha roxannes, the soundstage on Zx1 is wider but mid range is slightly thinner than the ak. The ak imparts a real analogue warmth to my lossless files. Right now , discovering new music on spotify is a real pleasure with the Zx1.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #6,127 of 7,711
I just received mine yesterday. I'm finding the battery doesn't last very long if streaming spotify. I also noticed the headphone jack is not very tight. My Roxy Sirens become loose with just a slight very slight pull on the plug. My X3, DX90, various iPods and old Clip Zip have never disconnected as easy as with this player. Has anybody else experienced this or do I have a faulty unit? I'd hate to think after finally taking the plunge into the nicer gear after so many years seeing everybody's setups that I got a bad unit, or bought into a bad product. I do like the sound though.

Thanks, Jeff.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #6,128 of 7,711
The battery hit will be down to the wifi draining it.  Wifi just sucks battery life plain and simple.  The few times we had a open network at work my ipod touch would barely last the day fully charged.  Without the streaming I could go 2 days easily.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #6,129 of 7,711
The ZX1 to me is the best portable spotify player. Even beats my iPod touch amped w vorzuge duo and my htcM8.

For lossless, compared to my ak240 using grado Sr325 and jha roxannes, the soundstage on Zx1 is wider but mid range is slightly thinner than the ak. The ak imparts a real analogue warmth to my lossless files. Right now , discovering new music on spotify is a real pleasure with the Zx1.
anyone who stream Wimp on the ZX1? Wimp offers true HiFiSound and is the better choice for Progheads by the way:blush:

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6,131 of 7,711
 I also noticed the headphone jack is not very tight. My Roxy Sirens become loose with just a slight very slight pull on the plug. My X3, DX90, various iPods and old Clip Zip have never disconnected as easy as with this player. Has anybody else experienced this or do I have a faulty unit? 

My jack is a bit snugger than the one on my iPod Touch.  If your is loose, it might be defective.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #6,132 of 7,711
  Are you just streaming the ZX1 with no amp?  I'm curious to hear how mine sounds with Pandora compared to my iPod Touch and NuForce iDo.  I just have to get back to the US first to access Pandora...

I did receive my iPod touch 64GB with Retina today, as Apple  did lower the price to 299 Euro, inclusive the gravure of my name on the backside,I am sure the ZX1 will have better sonics and 128GB, but to more than double the price, 699 Euro here.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6,133 of 7,711
Got my ZX1 (Japanese one) yesterday. Sonically it has the same overall sound signature as the NW-F807 I also got from Japan about two years ago, but better imaging and soundstage. It's definitely evolution vs. revolution. No complaints so far. My only real struggle so far is using the Walkman app. The changes are subtle yet annoying.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #6,135 of 7,711
I picked up the international version in Tokyo this week for $725 duty free.  I don't have a way to get my music on it while on this business trip, so that will have to wait until I get home next week.  I have a last gen iPod Touch.  I'm also curious to see how software works for getting music and playlists imported from what I have in iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back