Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,571 of 7,711
Question to those of you,

How is the audio quality via bluetooth?

I have an $800 pioneer dash that has bluetooth that I used with my Blackberry for streaming and now an iPod touch. Blackberry had great audio quality while the iPod touch I can definitely tell is a few steps down.

I was hoping this Sony Walkman was going to be awesome outputting tunes, even with bluetooth.

I'm willing to spend extra for it and will sell off my iPod.

Only have 256vbr or 320cbr and as many FLAC as I could get a hold of. There is a huge difference in audio quality between my old Blackberry and my iPod touch which is surprising since the touch was designed to be a music player while the music is just an extra for my now dead blackberry.
It is without a doubt because the Bluetooth support might be better on the blackberry, I know the Itouch sounds better than any blackberry. Plug in a line out cable to each device and tell me what you think then.

And btw Bluetooth streaming always degrades the audio signal ... Like really bad. It would be a sin to use a zx1 through Bluetooth in your car especially if you have a nice system as I suspect

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #3,575 of 7,711

I have the modded AK100 and totally agree with your assessment.  The ZX1 has noticeably better musical definitions.  Music sounds clearer and cleaner compared to my Messo Soprano AK100.  Bass notes are rendered with more authority with better low level details.  What's your take on the 901 vs. ZX1 JP?  Thanks in advance! 

The ZX1 has a colder sound signature and top clarity, so with warm iems such as 335, 846 or even SE5, the sound is clearer than with the 901. However the 901 balanced card has more power and authority, and is more versatile as it sounds better with cold / bright iems such as Kaede, 1plus2 or NT6. Of course in terms of design, UI and battery, the ZX1 kills it.

Yes I'd argue that the NW-Z1 sound is deeper and wider in the soundstage with more top end extension (or emphasis) but I have not seen exaggerated sibilance. The 901 stage is flatter/narrower but the kids and bass have more meat to them. Reminds me of a Meridian (901) VS Ayre both are great but have different signatures. My impressions are mostly based on listening with JH13s and 16s although I have listened with my AT AD1ks as well

And yes of all the DAPs I have tried the Sony has the best build, form factor and UI. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,576 of 7,711
Sorry , I meant does it have a high quality or rather expensive DAC chip in it such as Wolfson/Sabre/Circus logic.

Until someone opens that DAP up, we don't know what DAC is in it. And it might even be a 'blank' chip.
It's Sony, they won't tell us what chip it is.

But since most (all) of the reviews has come out very positive in regards to the SQ with this player, the DAC and the implementation seems very good.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #3,577 of 7,711

Until someone opens that DAP up, we don't know what DAC is in it. And it might even be a 'blank' chip.
It's Sony, they won't tell us what chip it is.

But since most (all) of the reviews has come out very positive in regards to the SQ with this player, the DAC and the implementation seems very good.

Most likely any 3rd party markings (if it's made by someone else) would be marked out and replaced with some Sony code anyway...that'll be my guess.

Anyway instead of talking about NW-ZX1 stripping, here's the opposite. Dressing up the NW-ZX1 with the Cruzerlite case instead (thanks to our local Uncle Jack, SeeTeeYou). I'm very happy with the case. It's thick enough to protect bumps and drops unlike the thin silicone cases. Buttons are easy to access too and as long as the standard WM-port connectors are used, there's sufficient space for WM-port.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3,578 of 7,711

Most likely any 3rd party markings (if it's made by someone else) would be marked out and replaced with some Sony code anyway...that'll be my guess.

Anyway instead of talking about NW-ZX1 stripping, here's the opposite. Dressing up the NW-ZX1 with the Cruzerlite case instead (thanks to our local Uncle Jack, SeeTeeYou). I'm very happy with the case. It's thick enough to protect bumps and drops unlike the thin silicone cases. Buttons are easy to access too and as long as the standard WM-port connectors are used, there's sufficient space for WM-port.

Look very nice. Is it a chance to buy this case outside of Japan?

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,579 of 7,711

Look very nice. Is it a chance to buy this case outside of Japan?

Dunno. Good question. Maybe try to find in the rakuten.co.jp English site? Also everything on the packaging is written in English which means it's not a local Japanese product. There's the www.cruzerlite.com site & www.facebook.com/Cruzerlite FB page. Maybe you can ask there.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #3,580 of 7,711
I can see where you're going with this. Soon we will be talking about necklaces, ear rings in 'MAN-LY' way.

Aren't there anything like this which they had for the Z walkman in Japan yet?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PDAIR-Leather-Case-for-Sony-Walkman-NWZ-Z1060-Z1050-Z1040-Book-W-Clip-/230799521078

or from Sony themselves?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-NW-Z1000-series-leather-case-CKL-NWZ1000-Free-Shipping-From-Japan-/271368067506

Quote:

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,581 of 7,711

I can see where you're going with this. Soon we will be talking about necklaces, ear rings in 'MAN-LY' way.

Aren't there anything like this which they had for the Z walkman in Japan yet?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PDAIR-Leather-Case-for-Sony-Walkman-NWZ-Z1060-Z1050-Z1040-Book-W-Clip-/230799521078

or from Sony themselves?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-NW-Z1000-series-leather-case-CKL-NWZ1000-Free-Shipping-From-Japan-/271368067506

Nope but there's been a "custom" from the following blog site using the Xperia GX SO-04D case :-

http://dendo6go.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-24.html

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #3,582 of 7,711
Hi all, I'm pretty much new here (if you don't count all the lurking) and to hi-fi in general.

I am no longer content with the sound from my iPod Classic and since buying a second hand iTouch 4G/64GB I have not been able to find an elegant solution to attach my Headstage Arrow G4 - and for the sake of portability I left it out all together. That downgrade proved unbearable. I have been looking at other DAP's for a good all in one solution, but I get the impression that their UI's will disappoint/annoy after being spoiled by IOS. So, after finding out about Sony's ZX1 over here I pulled the trigger and ordered one from pricejapan.

I really hope I made the right choice though. Especially since my music is not hi-res. At all. I mostly listen to extreme metal, so no matter how hi the res, the production value usually leaves something to be desired. And since I couldn't find anything about how the ZX1 fares with this kind of music I took the plunge and all I can do now is hope for the best...

In the mean time, is there anyone here able to ease my mind..? Would the ZX1 highlight my music's flaws or its strengths?

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #3,583 of 7,711
Hi all, I'm pretty much new here (if you don't count all the lurking) and to hi-fi in general.

I am no longer content with the sound from my iPod Classic and since buying a second hand iTouch 4G/64GB I have not been able to find an elegant solution to attach my Headstage Arrow G4 - and for the sake of portability I left it out all together. That downgrade proved unbearable. I have been looking at other DAP's for a good all in one solution, but I get the impression that their UI's will disappoint/annoy after being spoiled by IOS. So, after finding out about Sony's ZX1 over here I pulled the trigger and ordered one from pricejapan.

I really hope I made the right choice though. Especially since my music is not hi-res. At all. I mostly listen to extreme metal, so no matter how hi the res, the production value usually leaves something to be desired. And since I couldn't find anything about how the ZX1 fares with this kind of music I took the plunge and all I can do now is hope for the best...

In the mean time, is there anyone here able to ease my mind..? Would the ZX1 highlight my music's flaws or its strengths?

OT: What's extreme metal and why is it not well produced/mixed/mastered?

A LOT of the quite heavy stuff that Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy, Pain...) has been involved with is really really well produced; Sabaton, Amorphis, Belphegor to mention just a few. Bad mastering doesnt really exist more in heavier and more extreme music imho.

That said, I listen to quite a lot of deathmetal with DX50, SR71b and HD700 and its great and benefits as much as anything being in lossless format and with good equipment. So I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice and soon enough you will be on the upgrade train just like the rest of us :wink:

Im looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Sony dap.
Welcome!

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3,584 of 7,711
OT: What's extreme metal and why is it not well produced/mixed/mastered?

A LOT of the quite heavy stuff that Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy, Pain...) has been involved with is really really well produced; Sabaton, Amorphis, Belphegor to mention just a few. Bad mastering doesnt really exist more in heavier and more extreme music imho.

That said, I listen to quite a lot of deathmetal with DX50, SR71b and HD700 and its great and benefits as much as anything being in lossless format and with good equipment. So I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice and soon enough you will be on the upgrade train just like the rest of us
wink.gif

Im looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Sony dap.
Welcome!

Thanks Aktersnurra!

By extreme metal I mean the more extreme subgenres, i.e. death, black, doom, grind and everything inbetween. Agreed, most of the modern heavy stuff is very well (or over-) produced. However some still have a very raw sound, like the more murky death metal and the more buzzy black metal bands. And nowadays that's probably by choice. I mean bands like Portal, Dragged into Sunlight, Abyssal, Desolate Shrine, Inquisition. Bands like that are supposed to sound dirty. Also Yob's "Atma" sounds like it was recorded in the 70's. :)

Anyway, I think it's not so hard making well produced music sound good, but I like those bands to sound the way they are supposed to as well. I guess it boils down to kit not being too clynical/analytical. So therein also lies the next challenge for me: finding some good headphones and IEMS's. And I'm thinking I might have come to the right place for that... :)

BTW, I wasn't a big fan of Belphegor, but "Blood Magick Necromance" is awesome! I didn't know Tägtgren produced it.. That does explain something. The artwork is still horrible though. :wink:

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,585 of 7,711
Whew, just made it through all 239 pages.  I'm considering getting a DAP as I currently use an iTouch 5G paired with a M8 but would like to get something that travels better and doesn't have to down sample music due to apples limitations.  My catalog is slowly growing with HiRes but till it grows more I still use Slacker for streaming music.  Can anyone tell me how the ZX1 sounds when using a streaming app like Slacker or perhaps Spotify?  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back