Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,541 of 7,711
This got me going for the uk... says instock!

http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/4236469/sony-nwz-zx1.html

then you go to sonys website and says buy now, but when you click the link, it says pre-order for beginning of March lol... other websites inc whathifi are saying February release though :-/

http://www.sony.co.uk/buy/nwz-zx1

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3,542 of 7,711
I don't know about you but the ak240 design looks like a ak120 glued on an oddly shaped base.
Portability wise its harder to store in the pockets or compartments with limited space.
Sure it sounds good but at the kind of price, I personally expect more than just sounding good.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know exactly what you're thinking but no, you can't use it to "beam me up", nor "set phasers to stun".

At least make the design aesthetics simpler or classier.
They were on the right track with the 100 and 120.

AK100 & AK120                                AK240

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3,543 of 7,711
Fingers crossed I haven't gone the wrong direction here, but instead of getting the ZX1, I bought a CEntrance HiFi M8 to go with my Galaxy Note 3...

Guess that at this point I'll bow out of this thread...

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,544 of 7,711
  Fingers crossed I haven't gone the wrong direction here, but instead of getting the ZX1, I bought a CEntrance HiFi M8 to go with my Galaxy Note 3...

Get a ZX1, and plug it in....

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,546 of 7,711

Bigger stack... not so portable...  
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3,547 of 7,711

Go back to your root Duncan and get the ZX1!  
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,548 of 7,711
I don't know about you but the ak240 design looks like a ak120 glued on an oddly shaped base.
Portability wise its harder to store in the pockets or compartments with limited space.
Sure it sounds good but at the kind of price, I personally expect more than just sounding good. :)
I know exactly what you're thinking but no, you can't use it to "beam me up", nor "set phasers to stun".

Lol... iriver should have throw in a carbon monoxide detector or at the very least, some sort of parrot talking weather forecast that can also beam the temperature on the ceiling .. C'mon iriver, u need to delight the mind at twenty-four hundred American dollar.... :p

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #3,549 of 7,711
Has anyone tried to connect ZX1 to a desktop DAC w/ USB input and got it to work?  I have a Cambridge Azur CDP with a built in USB dac, and cannot get the dac to recognize ZX1.  I am using the standard issue Sony adapter out of  the WM port and a USB cable.   I know people have been connecting the ZX1 to Centrance HiFiM8, so I thought this would be a cinch, but no....Is there a setting on the ZX1 that I have to fiddle with?  Maybe it is the dac that is the problem, but it typically has no problem recognizing external USB source, be it Mac or iDevices...

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #3,550 of 7,711
I just had a blast watching youtube hd music video with the zx1. Really happy with the sound quality from youtube.

Here is one of my all time favourite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxe-iylVQSY&sns=em

Plug in your zx1 and get ready to dance... I jump up of my couch at 1.08min and rock harder than David.. :D

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #3,551 of 7,711
Re those connecting the ZX1 to the Hifi M8, this is probably a question that will get me shot - but, if using an app like UAPP, is there likely to be any perceivable sound / bit accuracy difference between the ZX1 and any equivalent 24/192 capable device (the Note 3 in my case)?

Seeing that UAPP uses its own stack I would assume not?

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #3,552 of 7,711
  Has anyone tried to connect ZX1 to a desktop DAC w/ USB input and got it to work?  I have a Cambridge Azur CDP with a built in USB dac, and cannot get the dac to recognize ZX1.  I am using the standard issue Sony adapter out of  the WM port and a USB cable.   I know people have been connecting the ZX1 to Centrance HiFiM8, so I thought this would be a cinch, but no....Is there a setting on the ZX1 that I have to fiddle with?  Maybe it is the dac that is the problem, but it typically has no problem recognizing external USB source, be it Mac or iDevices...

Nope I don't think that cable will work. Similarly, I tried using the WMC-NWH10 then Type A -> Type B into my Oppo BDP-105 and to my Resonessence Labs Invicta and no luck. I got my ZX1 working with some portable DACs though. Weird.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,553 of 7,711
I'm wondering if anyone has paired the ZX1 with any of the small USB DACs like the Dragonfly or Island?

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,554 of 7,711
  I have no hiss with my Shure 846

Are you sure you didn't try it when the ZX1 was on standby? That will turn the amp off. As soon as you turn on the screen or start playback the amp is powered and I get very obvious and noticeable hiss with my SE846. It requires a 75 ohm impedance adapter to get rid of that. This is with the white filters on the 846. It might be less of an issue with the darker ones.

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,555 of 7,711

Nope I don't think that cable will work. Similarly, I tried using the WMC-NWH10 then Type A -> Type B into my Oppo BDP-105 and to my Resonessence Labs Invicta and no luck. I got my ZX1 working with some portable DACs though. Weird.

Thanks.  I actually thought the whole point of WMC-NWH10 was actually to pair ZX1 with DACs other than PHA-2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back