Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,586 of 7,711
  Whew, just made it through all 239 pages.  I'm considering getting a DAP as I currently use an iTouch 5G paired with a M8 but would like to get something that travels better and doesn't have to down sample music due to apples limitations.  My catalog is slowly growing with HiRes but till it grows more I still use Slacker for streaming music.  Can anyone tell me how the ZX1 sounds when using a streaming app like Slacker or perhaps Spotify?  Thanks.

I use Spotify all the time, and it sound fantastic. If you have 320kbps streams (subscription), its really good enough for casual listening.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #3,587 of 7,711
I wonder what's the best open back earphone for ZX1?

I am currently using B&W p7 with my zx1 and very happy with the sound quality. However, I do in need an open back (I want to hear when someone talks to me). I wonder which full size open back will be the best to pair with zx1? I own HD800 and HD650, zx1 seems isn't powerful enough to drive them. I will consider anything that's equal or better than P7.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #3,588 of 7,711

I am currently using B&W p7 with my zx1 and very happy with the sound quality. However, I do in need an open back (I want to hear when someone talks to me). I wonder which full size open back will be the best to pair with zx1? I own HD800 and HD650, zx1 seems isn't powerful enough to drive them. I will consider anything that's equal or better than P7.

Have you tried Sony MA-900 headphones? They are open back. One thing I've noticed with Sony products is that they pair well together. ie. Sony IEMs/Headphones with Sony MP3 Players. Great synergy between the two!

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #3,592 of 7,711
I was a bit nervous spending $900 on something I have never seen or heard, but having done so I am now looking forward to it more and more… I suppose my iPod Touch can only be improved upon, SQ-wise.

FedEx estimated delivery date changed from Friday to Monday though, which is a bit of a bummer.

For the time being (until my wallet recovers) I took another gamble and also ordered a pair of XBA-H1. I realise most people here won’t be using ‘budget’ IEM’s on the ZX1, but has anyone tried this combo yet?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #3,593 of 7,711
I was a bit nervous spending $900 on something I have never seen or heard, but having done so I am now looking forward to it more and more… I suppose my iPod Touch can only be improved upon, SQ-wise.

FedEx estimated delivery date changed from Friday to Monday though, which is a bit of a bummer.

For the time being (until my wallet recovers) I took another gamble and also ordered a pair of XBA-H1. I realise most people here won’t be using ‘budget’ IEM’s on the ZX1, but has anyone tried this combo yet?

I'm very interested in your thoughts on the XBA-H1 pairing with the zx1. I bought a pair in prep for a zx1 purchase and I felt disappointed compared to my MDR-1Rs (see my posts in link below) so I returned them, but have a nagging feeling that maybe they'd perform better in the mids and highs with the zx1. Let's us know!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685463/sony-xba-h1-pictures-and-impressions/30#post_10191741

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #3,597 of 7,711
I'm very interested in your thoughts on the XBA-H1 pairing with the zx1. I bought a pair in prep for a zx1 purchase and I felt disappointed compared to my MDR-1Rs (see my posts in link below) so I returned them, but have a nagging feeling that maybe they'd perform better in the mids and highs with the zx1. Let's us know!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685463/sony-xba-h1-pictures-and-impressions/30#post_10191741

Hi Liono! You know what's funny? Your comment in the same thread describing the H1 as "very upfront, brash and bass heavy" was actually one of the reasons I got them...
smile.gif
  They might just be very suited to my tastes (or lack thereof).

I still have no idea what to excpect though.. I find the XBA-4 to be completely unfit for music with even the slightest hint of distortion, making them effectively useless for about 95% of my collection (for the remaining 5% they're absolutely brilliant). On the other hand, I have been VERY happy with my MDR-EX500 (dynamic) and the way they rendered everything I threw at them. After four years of constant use they finally fell apart and I'm still looking for a worthy replacement. Only one way to find out if the H1 is it...
smile_phones.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #3,598 of 7,711

While I no longer have the zx1 and ma900, their pairing is surprisingly good. No need to break the bank to get high quality sound.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3,599 of 7,711
Why hasn't anyone rooted this player with the view to update Android to at least 4.3 which is 4.1 optimized?

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #3,600 of 7,711
]So I guess it's safe to say none of the top DAP players have the crossfade option like on Clip +

There is an apps called Neutron player that does crossfade in ZX1, and its intensity can be customize. There is also a host of the so called "audiophile" adjustment in that player. I have alot of fun with it but as I install loads of diff apps player, the hardware buttons starts to get confused as these apps are controlling that function too, a press on play button would trigger multiple apps at the same time, so I ended up uninstalling most of them and stick to poweramp and stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back