Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #511 of 1,311

Quote:
Haha, that's awesome. I told you the zo is a curse b/c you can't got back to listening without it!
biggrin.gif

You put Zo-roots on me @ shotgunshane? I blame you!! LOL

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #512 of 1,311

Quote:
Kiteki, that is the best bang-for-the-buck iem available right now. I would suggest to anyone who has it don't skip on $133 for the EX600. The sound quality is worth two times more than that in my humble opinion. Great deal!!

Just for clarification, they're selling for $125 from "The Price Pros" on amazon.com, not $133 :wink:

Indeed, $125 for these? seems like an amazing deal, I tried buying them but they won't ship overseas, oh well.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #513 of 1,311
i wonder why the price keeps going down...
anyway i think my sister purchased it on amazon when it was about 130-ish

sure hope it loves the smashing pumpkins and my bloody valentine when it comes next week
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #514 of 1,311
I think it's easier for them to 'reconcile' on their 'books' :D

Quote:
I love Amazon, but how odd is this? I ordered the EX600 for a friend yesterday for $149.88, and today they are $133.88. So I call to try and get the price match (via credit), but Amazon will not do it unless it's more than $20 and some other timing issue.

So to get the $16 discount, I have to reject the UPS delivery (set for tomorrow) and reorder the EX600s, and then get a full refund when the original pair is back at the home base.

How dumb is that? And I really love Amazon's CS, the best I have seen. Strange policy, to me. But no matter, my friend just saved $16, but now he has to wait one more day for delivery.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #517 of 1,311
well what can I say, there here, they finally made it, all the way from the Netherlands, thanks @Majin, I had to trade my TF10's for them, but after getting some RE262's, that was a no brainer, the 262's put my TF10's to shame, and after listening to them, it only took like 5 mins. and I knew I could never enjoy them like I had before, and so after reading up on all the stunning reviews about the 600's, and then coming across @majins trade thread, I wasn't looking back, packed up those now nasty ol' TF10's
blink.gif
, lol, and shoved them out the door, er thru the mail that is, and 2 weeks later TA DA! they're here, they're finally here, lol, and they arrived in pristine condition, and they sound awesome! I threw on the modded double flanges from my 262's, and my ears fell in love
basshead.gif
, holy smokes these things go on easy peasy, awesome fit, and I wear them straight down? go figure, I did the same with the TF10's, the mids are still a little harsh, but some more burning in ought to fix that, and as far as the BASS goes, it goes, and goes, I don't know if its attributed to the Voyager that I use or its just the 600's, but these things have a ton of BASS! but what can I say that already hasn't been said,
deadhorse.gif
ggrruff! I'll just reiterate what everyone else is discovering, there great!!

so that leaves 1 thing, if they already sounds awesome, what will I do with the Zo that will be here in a week?
atsmile.gif
!!!!! I really don't want to open up a virtual vortex, by combining a Voyager and the Zo together, and transport all living matter to the Nexus? where everybodys hopes and dreams come true, and everyone lives forever!! beem me up Scotti, oh well its not like I got anything better to do, see you all in the Nexus
basshead.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #518 of 1,311
Just thought I would post the following here too since it basically my comparison between the EX600 and the GR07>>>

1. ericp10 
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1305918894.png
  5. online
  1. 2,371 Posts. Joined 11/2009
  2. Location: Chicago, IL USA

So new discoveries. First, I haven't met an iem so temperamental about tips used since the SM3, but the GR07 demands that not just any tip is placed on its metal nozzle. On the other hand, depending on tips used, you can still get a great sound signature, just suited more to your taste with the GR07. It's almost like several dynamic earphones in one. The PFE silicon, for example, gives me more of a soundstage and highly detailed drums, but pushes the horns further away. Piano sings with much decay using those tips. Using the stock large silicon tips, the instruments are pushed much closer together with nice vocals, but a bit crowded in the mids. Treble extension is still there. Using the transparent TF10 silicon gives me the widest soundstage, but reduces the bass significantly for my ears (although impact is still there). Guitars (electric) buzz, ring and hum like crazy though.

So what have I settled on? Well, my favorite turned out to be - as mentioned yesterday - the Monster foam hybrids. It gives me just the right of thickness on bass and piano. It bring the horns closer to me (or puts me closer to the stage), but not too close. Treble is a little less, but just right for my ears and plenty of extension. Just a good balance of sound and stage presentation for my ears. I can hear a lot of details in acoustic guitar notes with these tips too. There was just one problem: when I pulled the earphones out my ears the Monsters decided not to come along and stayed in place in my ear canals. Well, I've been able to pick them out, but as you might imagine, that's not a fun predicament. So what to do? My solution was to pull the cores out of the stock gray foams that came with the GR07. It's tricky, but somehow I managed to squeeze inside of some medium-large Monster foam hybrids. And yes, they lock the tips onto the GR07 and doesn't effect the sound too much (perhaps make the notes a big more thicker).

The other thing I noticed about these dynamic monitors is that they absolutely love drums! No, I'm not talking about bass; I' m talking about drum kits and hand-played percussion. Just the right decay on the tom toms and the slap on the bongos sound realistic. Timbre-wise, I may have to say these are the best universals I have ever heard for percussion instruments (yes, beating out the FX700 to my ears). Bass is quite good too, but I won't say it's the best bass I've heard in a universal, but darn close. And the details are to to be heard if one gets a great seal.

Is there room for the GR07 and the EX600 to co-exist side-by-side? I would say definitely yes. Both are great mid-priced in-ear monitors that perform on a high-priced  top tier universals level. The Sony give you a greater soundstage, fantastic acoustic guitars and melodious strings. The Vsonic, on the other hand, gives you some of the best drums, percussion and electric guitars you have ever heard. Piano is presented differently in both and both are quite good, but I do think the GR07 allows you to hear more reverb and decay with the the piano. Vocals. Hmmm? Both are fantastic with lead vocals, but again, there is a difference in presentation. I think the GR07 are more in your face.  I think, however, that the EX600 handles background a tad better. And finally bass. Both iems extend deeply into sub-bass category, but he GR07 has more punch, thickness and weight. You need the Zo subwoofer to get the EX600 there.

With that said, I love both the GR07 and the EX600, but I can say clearly and assertively that if I was only going to keep one it would be the GR07 (I am keeping both). But the HJE900 and DDM will probably be up for sale soon. Happy listening!!! 

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #519 of 1,311
^^ where do the grados fit in your signature

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #520 of 1,311
Which Grado? headphone or iem? I've never heard the Grado iem, but I heard it's close to the e-Q7. If so, just look where the e-Q7 is.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #521 of 1,311
 GR07 demands that not just any tip is placed on its metal nozzle. On the other hand, depending on tips used, you can still get a great sound signature, just suited more to your taste with the GR07.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #522 of 1,311

Quote:
 GR07 demands that not just any tip is placed on its metal nozzle. On the other hand, depending on tips used, you can still get a great sound signature, just suited more to your taste with the GR07.

Right, the tips tailor or fine tune the GR07's sound signature better to listener's liking (i.e. do you want the bass more prominent or less; more forward guitars or horns; hear the decay of the piano more or a wider or smaller soundstage?).

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #523 of 1,311
wrong company my bad

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #524 of 1,311
Dang, Eric! I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying the GR07 so much.. to see where they've landed on your IEM list is some serious praise.. well deserved too, IMO.

Regarding the congested center of the EX600's soundstage I mentioned earlier.. it cleared up fairly quickly actually.  I think it was a tip issue.. I actually had to go with a tip that was a size smaller than what I normally use (Hybrid-M), so the MS size gave a deeper fit and the center of the stage no longer sounded congested.  Perhaps it was some in-ear resonance issues I was having when using larger tips, or it was a rough patch while burning them in.. who knows.. regardless.. it's passed and the EX600 continue to sound excellent.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #525 of 1,311
so GR07 > EX600 for eric and flysweep.

I remember Inks had it EX600 > GR07 a couple of pages ago. seems like these two IEMs are toe-to-toe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back