Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #482 of 1,311

Quote:
Which is better? DBA-02 or EX600? In terms of clarity.

No universal I've heard beats the DBA strictly on crystal clarity.  I haven't heard the $1000 FAD yet though.  Cough, cough, ahem.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #484 of 1,311
It took me awhile, but I'm following in your footsteps again @ cn11...lol. Come to think of it, it was you and james444 who initially got me trouble here with the e-Q7 and FX700 (add on Monster MD  and SM3 as your fault too). Yet, I still haven't been able to convince neither one of you guys to go custom yet, go figure...lol. Well, luckily for me the Ex1000 will be a loaner, and if I do love it more than the EX600 it will still be too expensive for me to consider right now. But I can't wait to hear what you hear buddy. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
eric- 

I look forward to when you hear the EX1000's too...  They're so tonally right, detailed and spacious.

beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #485 of 1,311

Quote:
No universal I've heard beats the DBA strictly on crystal clarity.  I haven't heard the $1000 FAD yet though.  Cough, cough, ahem.  
biggrin.gif

I wonder if I heard a faulty DBA because I heard no redeeming qualities to that iem but the treble. It's been awhile, but I don't remember thinking it was clearest BA to me at the time. At that time the e-Q7 was ringing my bell.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #486 of 1,311
For the DBA02 I think it's very clear but for me it was very unrealistic. The compressed dynamic range attributed to it's very apparent micro details which were too in your face. I actually find the EX600s clearer than the EQ7s side by side, but the 7s have a more precise way of spacing out complex passages. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #487 of 1,311

Quote:
Yet, I still haven't been able to convince neither one of you guys to go custom yet, go figure...lol. 

Huh?  Does James' UERM not count?  
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #488 of 1,311

Quote:
tongue.gif

LOL.. I think someone else convinced him after my failed attempt @ Anax. So I shall not take credit for him giving the UERM a try. I think it might have been your doing actually.

But now, come to think of it, I think I did see cn11 say he's about to choose a custom to buy. If I'm correct, I will take credit for that one...(even if it's not by my doing or suggesting...lol).

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #490 of 1,311
biggrin.gif

I've noticed something interesting A/Bing the B2 with the GR07. It feels like there are two kinds of clarity, clarity of what the driver puts out and clarity produced by how the music is presented in the soundstage. While the B2 has more of the former, the GR07 has a lot more of the latter and that makes them sound clearer while having less detail. Is this just something I don't understand due to lack of experience?

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #491 of 1,311

Quote:
I'll throw the RE0's hat in the ring.. that is one freakishly clear IEM.

Yeah, but it had a bit of warmth and just lacked a bit behind in contrasting the background w/ the notes themselves.  Splitting hairs here.  They are very good.  It has better treble extension, maybe best out there but not that sort of 'bell' like clarity.

Quote:
I've noticed something interesting A/Bing the B2 with the GR07. It feels like there are two kinds of clarity, clarity of what the driver puts out and clarity produced by how the music is presented in the soundstage. While the B2 has more of the former, the GR07 has a lot more of the latter and that makes them sound clearer while having less detail. Is this just something I don't understand due to lack of experience?

Yeah, that's SS and space/air versus congestion.  That's micro detail, dynamic range, ambiance, etc.  You could say clarity if you like.  The word can have more than one meaning.  Or they could all be aspects of it.  But usually I find clarity to refer to the crystal clear, bell type sound.  You go from blackness to clear distinct notes.  Transparency is another term used two different ways for example.   

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #492 of 1,311

Seems like you are used to emphasized bass then.

Trade you your EX600's for the A-Jays Three and a Sony gumstick mp3 player with bass-boost? :wink:  

Quote:
well i just got the ex600.  geez where is the bass.  i don't think they are gonna work for my bass heavy track listening with dubstep and drum and bass.  I felt the impulse to buy them from people saying how good they are, and i love my sony ex300s, which have a great bass i like, but the highs are harsh.  I didn't expect the bass to be so lacking for me.  everything else is great. the mids are awesome.  They are great for vocals and opera and piano.  My music collection is better served by my monster pro coppers, which has a great bass.  I prefer the mids on the sony ex600, but like the highs on the coppers better.  The highs seem rough maybe sibiliant on 600s.  If you listen to vocals a lot / mid centric music, i highly reccomend the sony ex600s

I like my ex300 better than my ex600.

Well i still need a monster copper upgrade, maybe i should just go snatch some jh16s and call it a day.
Anyone have any suggestions for a copper lover that wants to ante up more.  Im not too sure a w3 or a ie8 might be the right way to go.

Anyone want my ex600s?  

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #493 of 1,311
Quote:
Come to think of it, it was you and james444 who initially got me trouble here with the e-Q7 and FX700 (add on Monster MD  and SM3 as your fault too). Yet, I still haven't been able to convince neither one of you guys to go custom yet, go figure...lol.

Quote:
tongue.gif

Quote:
LOL.. I think someone else convinced him after my failed attempt @ Anax. So I shall not take credit for him giving the UERM a try. I think it might have been your doing actually.

But now, come to think of it, I think I did see cn11 say he's about to choose a custom to buy. If I'm correct, I will take credit for that one...(even if it's not by my doing or suggesting...lol).

Come to think of it, deep down in my subconsciousness I think I just caved in so you guys would get off my back.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #494 of 1,311

Quote:

Come to think of it, deep down in my subconsciousness I think I just caved in so you guys would get off my back.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif
 Works for me!!  (by the way, you now need a custom with layers of quantity and quality bass - yes, layers and you're getting sleepy. just follow the swinging custom monitors back and forth, that's it! 
eek.gif
deadhorse.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back