Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #496 of 1,311

Yeah, that's SS and space/air versus congestion.  That's micro detail, dynamic range, ambiance, etc.  You could say clarity if you like.  The word can have more than one meaning.  Or they could all be aspects of it.  But usually I find clarity to refer to the crystal clear, bell type sound.  You go from blackness to clear distinct notes.  Transparency is another term used two different ways for example.   

Thanks, makes sense. I'm enjoying steadily being able to describe sound better. It's like learning a new language.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #497 of 1,311

Quote:
And yes, Ericp10, the EX600 is freakishly good for jazz.

beerchug.gif
 And you're not just whistling Dixie(land jazz) when you make that statement @ imackler. X2

Actually, I find that enjoy the EX600 most when listening to jazz or acoustic rock. Other genres are decent with the EX600, but it really shines with those two types of music.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #498 of 1,311
My EX600 has been burning in long enough. Here is my A/B comparison with the EX1000:

EX1000
-splashier treble, better detailed, makes ex600 treble sound recessed in comparison
-more bass presence, more impact
-more of an airy sound, larger soundstage
-vocals sound sweeter
-better clarity and separation but not by much
-sounds more dynamic

EX600
-mids are more forward
-sounds more confined

The differences I've noticed aren't dramatic. While the EX1000 does sound better to my ears, the EX600 is close enough.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #500 of 1,311

I've been looking for a comparison like this. The EX600 are so good that you really don't need to look further and yet so good that I probably will.
Quote:
My EX600 has been burning in long enough. Here is my A/B comparison with the EX1000:

EX1000
-splashier treble, better detailed, makes ex600 treble sound recessed in comparison
-more bass presence, more impact
-more of an airy sound, larger soundstage
-vocals sound sweeter
-better clarity and separation but not by much
-sounds more dynamic

EX600
-mids are more forward
-sounds more confined

The differences I've noticed aren't dramatic. While the EX1000 does sound better to my ears, the EX600 is close enough.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #501 of 1,311
I play drums every once in a while and with a cymbal crash it sounds more like a high pitched splash type sound to me. When I mean splashier, I mean that it sounds more real and convincing.

Quote:
While I agree that the EX1000 makes the EX600 treble sound a bit recessed, it is not splashier. In fact the EX600 treble sounds much less controlled with spikes here and there.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #503 of 1,311
i pulled the trigger and got the ex1000.

my concerns with bass quantity was overshadowed by the extremely FUN soundstage of the ex600.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #504 of 1,311

Quote:
i pulled the trigger and got the ex1000.

my concerns with bass quantity was overshadowed by the extremely FUN soundstage of the ex600.

Nice!

That's a huge upgrade from ex300, now all you need is Sony's "MEGA BASS" and you're set.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #505 of 1,311

Quote:
Nice!

That's a huge upgrade from ex300, now all you need is Sony's "MEGA BASS" and you're set.

i bought hippo VBs also :D

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #506 of 1,311
Anyone find the center of the EX600's soundstage slightly congested?

It's strange cause I'm in a contradiction of sorts here.  There's a very good sense of instrument separation along (practically) the entire soundstage.. except the middle.  And even there, there is fantastic clarity.. but instruments (not voices) sound a little bunched together, lacking air.. positional cues are a little tougher to decipher.  I experienced something very similar to this on my FA-003 until I redampened them.  Perhaps congested is too strong a word?  Apologies as I'm unable to describe this better.  I'm going to experiment more with tips, cause this very well could be a fit issue.

In general though.. I'm seriously loving these phones.  They recreate the feel of a high quality, live venue with surprising realism. Vocals are simply awesome to listen to.. and not just singing but rapping, in particular, sounds excellent.. enunciation of words and rapid fire wordplay is heard with astonishing clarity, ease, and accuracy.

Some thoughts in regards to it's most immediate competition:

To the degree the GR07 possesses a hint of warmth.. the opposite is true for the EX600.. it's neutrality is flavored with a hint of cool.  Notes in the midrange don't have the kind of weight and thickness they do from the GR07 (which is probably why I like how distorted guitars sound more from the GR07.. there's a bit more grunt).  This is a strength for the EX600 though too.. the cooler midrange boasts more clarity and detail.  As I stated before, I hear a lot of what makes the RE0 so fantastic in the EX600.  Where the RE0 has a smoother sound from the midrange up, the EX600 is crisp.. but both have tinge of coolness to their tonality.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #508 of 1,311
Hello FlySweep, still waiting for my GR07. Hopefully I'll see them sometime this week. AS for mid-range congestion, I haven't detected that at all. What tips are you using? I'll try to do some critical listening tonight. Unfortunately, I did myself a service and a disservice with the EX600 when I bought the portable Zo subwoofer amp.

Prior to have the Zo, the EX600 - while no 1964-Q or FX700 level - bass was perfect for me with just the right deepness and quantity to go along with its outstanding quality. But the Zo has spoiled all of that for me now. When I listen to the EX600's bass now without the Zo, it sounds quite anemic to my ears (although not like the SE535, and with great extension and detail still). The Zo turns the EX600 into the type of universals I would have designed if I was responsible for the tuning at Sony. The Zo puts the Sony's bass level I would say just shy of 5 percent of the bass quantity level in the Quad (with the Zo at medium volume). It doesn't distort, but I don't like Zo with the EX600 at full red level. I do upper lower volume (greenish yellow) or medium (yellow, sometimes pushing to orange). So basically I don't enjoy listening to the EX600 that much without the Zo now. Like this morning I was going to commute with the EX600 using the Zo, but I the Zo had been running for over 10 hours straight and I discovered it drained this morning. Talking about disappointed. I put it on its charger and left it and the EX600 at home. I opted instead to take my Quads to work with me this morning (and I rarely like to take them out of the house). That Zo has become like audio crack to me...lol. Hello, my name is Eric and I'm a Zoholic!!
frown.gif

Anyway, tomorrow I think I'm going to give the Zo and Custom 3 a date.

Quote:
Anyone find the center of the EX600's soundstage slightly congested?

It's strange cause I'm in a contradiction of sorts here.  There's a very good sense of instrument separation along (practically) the entire soundstage.. except the middle.  And even there, there is fantastic clarity.. but instruments (not voices) sound a little bunched together, lacking air.. positional cues are a little tougher to decipher.  I experienced something very similar to this on my FA-003 until I redampened them.  Perhaps congested is too strong a word?  Apologies as I'm unable to describe this better.  I'm going to experiment more with tips, cause this very well could be a fit issue.

In general though.. I'm seriously loving these phones.  They recreate the feel of a high quality, live venue with surprising realism. Vocals are simply awesome to listen to.. and not just singing but rapping, in particular, sounds excellent.. enunciation of words and rapid fire wordplay is heard with astonishing clarity, ease, and accuracy.

Some thoughts in regards to it's most immediate competition:

To the degree the GR07 possesses a hint of warmth.. the opposite is true for the EX600.. it's neutrality is flavored with a hint of cool.  Notes in the midrange don't have the kind of weight and thickness they do from the GR07 (which is probably why I like how distorted guitars sound more from the GR07.. there's a bit more grunt).  This is a strength for the EX600 though too.. the cooler midrange boasts more clarity and detail.  As I stated before, I hear a lot of what makes the RE0 so fantastic in the EX600.  Where the RE0 has a smoother sound from the midrange up, the EX600 is crisp.. but both have tinge of coolness to their tonality.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #509 of 1,311
Jul 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #510 of 1,311
Unfortunately, I did myself a service and a disservice with the EX600 when I bought the portable Zo subwoofer amp.

Prior to have the Zo, the EX600 - while no 1964-Q or FX700 level - bass was perfect for me with just the right deepness and quantity to go along with its outstanding quality. But the Zo has spoiled all of that for me now. When I listen to the EX600's bass now without the Zo, it sounds quite anemic to my ears (although not like the SE535, and with great extension and detail still). The Zo turns the EX600 into the type of universals I would have designed if I was responsible for the tuning at Sony. The Zo puts the Sony's bass level I would say just shy of 5 percent of the bass quantity level in the Quad (with the Zo at medium volume). It doesn't distort, but I don't like Zo with the EX600 at full red level. I do upper lower volume (greenish yellow) or medium (yellow, sometimes pushing to orange). So basically I don't enjoy listening to the EX600 that much without the Zo now. Like this morning I was going to commute with the EX600 using the Zo, but I the Zo had been running for over 10 hours straight and I discovered it drained this morning. Talking about disappointed. I put it on its charger and left it and the EX600 at home. I opted instead to take my Quads to work with me this morning (and I rarely like to take them out of the house). That Zo has become like audio crack to me...lol. Hello, my name is Eric and I'm a Zoholic!!
frown.gif

Anyway, tomorrow I think I'm going to give the Zo and Custom 3 a date.

Haha, that's awesome. I told you the zo is a curse b/c you can't got back to listening without it! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back