Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #542 of 1,311
I went away for the weekend and put Sony Hybrids on the EX700, because I didn't want the Shure Olives to fall off and disappear (they're a bit loose).

The Sony Hybrids have slightly less bass, a thinner presentation, and more emphasis on "shh" sounds, I haven't used them in a long time and I was surprised at the difference, they offer a tiny bit more [perceived] clarity I suppose, but I really find the decored Shure Olives offer a more enjoyable experience, I was just getting bored during most of the drive on the way there and back, the Sony Hybrids kinda remind me of the "Sony sound" I used to [positively] associate Sony earbuds with, thin, crisp, etc.

I'm wondering if the difference is similiar on the EX600/800/1000? Which one has the thickest nozzle again?

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #543 of 1,311
It just occured to me, how on earth did Vsonic license the driver in the GR07 from Sony anyway? It's not like Sony made a driver especially for Vsonic, so it must have been a bio-cellulose driver made by Sony... already in existence?

Then my speculation led me to thinking... is the GR07 a Sony E888 or E484 or similiar famous model, in an IEM shell..?  I suppose the E484 is a long-shot, since it was discontinued long ago, but the E888 is still being made, hmmm... I hope I get to hear the GR07 one day to find out, a new and improved E888 in a [very good] IEM shell would kinda be a dream IEM to me.

Just some random thoughts =)

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #546 of 1,311
listening to the ex600 out of my e9 .  for the price not bad considering all it comes with. the case and hybrids are very nice.  the sound is very smooth. i wish the bass had a little more texture to it.  theres a little bass impact on some songs but it doesnt carry that impact throughout the bass spectrum. the mids and highs are both pretty good.  soundstage, to my ears, seems to be pretty good.  imaging is okay but not nearly as good as the w4 i had via a desktop amp.

i dont like how they stick out so far when in the ear.  

overall, no real wow factor, but nothing bad about them either.  not a fan of the memory wire and the overall comfort but its by no means uncomfortable.  

using the stock hybrid that came on the unit. 

i prefer the w4 over these but i can totally see why they are popular right now.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #547 of 1,311
they say it benefits a lot from burn-in, maybe the bass impact will change on your pair after it.

as for me, i won't be burning-in mine when it arrives, i'll just listen to it as much as I can until i notice some differences on my fav songs

burned in my IE8 years ago, i didn't really notice anything substantial... then again, i didn't really count the amount of hours i did it or didn't really care enough to notice

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #549 of 1,311
i might have to agree with you there, but not based on experience since i've never owned earfones as many as most people here on head-fi

but 200 hours seems too... long. for the lack of a better word 
cool.gif

that's more than 1 week! leaving my precious IEMs playing something on loop for a whole week is gonna get me paranoid for sure

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #550 of 1,311

Quote:
Agreed. I can't wait to compare the FXT90s to the GR07s. They're both balanced quite well with a leniency towards the warm side. The FXT90s are more unique, have better timbre and are more engaging based on memory. I don't think the EX600s or GR07s touch the FX700s but the JVCs are very high maintenance and want a quiet environment. Those JVCs sure are special.

Well we certainly agree to disagree here. I think the EX600 touch the FX700 in certain aspects, but I think the GR07 is closer to the FX700 than 9.4 compared to 9.6. Again, no one is wrong or right. It's personal taste. But the more I listen the more I'm drinking the GR07 Kool Aid. It's just ringing my bell in so many ways. On another front, the W4 may be coming my way real soon, alone with the EX1000 loaner. So it's going to be interesting to have the EX600, GR07, EX1000 and the W4 here all at the same time. I'm hoping for musical rapture and Nirvana all at the same time. We're going to have some fun and throw the SM2 into the mix too. I don't think I'm going compare the universals, however, too much to the 1964-Q. I will just make some personal observations - unless I hear something on one end or the other that wouldn't be fair not to share with the head-fi family. I hope I don't explode or implode. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #551 of 1,311

Quote:
Agreed. I can't wait to compare the FXT90s to the GR07s. They're both balanced quite well with a leniency towards the warm side. The FXT90s are more unique, have better timbre and are more engaging based on memory. I don't think the EX600s or GR07s touch the FX700s but the JVCs are very high maintenance and want a quiet environment. Those JVCs sure are special.

Dang.  I need to get a pair of these I think.  Definitely a fan of JVCs after the 700s.  Or maybe try out the Sony's.  Aaargh, maybe both!  Alright, who wants to buy my DBA's to fund these new projects?!?
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #555 of 1,311
I don't know, but I was struck on how fast the GR07 is listening to it yesterday..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back