SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #6,316 of 15,434
You may be right, but the only reason I even considered trying a new amp is because the headphones sounded a bit off. With the IER-Z1R and ZX-300 nothing sounds off to me, in fact it's pretty great in all aspects. I remember trying the Kann Cube with the Z1R and thinking that it sounded a bit different (harder hitting bass that obstructed a bit the clarity in the mids and highs), but it wasn't extremely obvious, so if you weren't looking for the difference, you might think there is none. And it wasn't immediately clear which one was better too. Whereas with the Arya, it just sounded like a better headphone when I switched to the Hugo2. Like a veil had been lifted.

So the reason I was looking at a full-size option was not because I am unhappy with the Z1R, I'm just interested in trying a different "delivery" experience. It's definitely not something I need, I'm just curious. And if it turns out that I need to spend $6k to get something I actually enjoy without reservations, then screw that. I can wait a few years until the industry comes to its senses... and if it doesn't, that's fine too. And just to make it clear, I don't mind spending a lot of money (money I don't currently have, but anyway :)), but I do mind spending a lot of money on something I don't think is worth it. The HE1000SE probably costs no more than $200 to make and I refuse to allow myself to be robbed like that. :)

The horror! The HORROR!

We are all in the same boat more or less. If we were not in this boat, we would be simply happy with whatever consumer headphone we had. So the curiosity that got us here doesn’t stop. Even if we somehow had some perfect playback, we would still wonder if there was more to be had. So the dilemma is how can you obtain better results from a full-size headphone system and have it be cheap? The reason it’s difficult is because in a way the IER-Z1R and ZX300 is a value. It’s hard to beat what it does.

Some folks on the street may not be able to identify that specific value as of course value is subjective. But if you walked into some Hi/Fi show and set your rig on a table some random audiophile not into headphones or IEMs would be impressed. He would be saying things like “That was better than I expected.” Or “Wow, not exactly my floorstanders, but that was cool!”

Early on in this thread I commented, that you wouldn't just need headphones but the whole up stream system to make it work. That’s where there is kinda a value in simply getting an IEM and a DAP. Especially an IEM that bridges the sound between IEMs and full-size headphones.

Still when it comes down to it, it’s simply being happy with what entertains you. When our systems don’t work is when we question the playback. When all is well we are at one with the music. When stuff is at fault, the curtains have been pulled back and we find and ridicule the illusion for what it is......the simple illusion of live music being played. So in the end it’s mental gymnastics; to be fooled into being swept-up by a system. If that’s the fact, does it really matter what system it is? Nothing is perfect, but maybe full-size headphones with quality systems up front are more complete? But if the results of entertainment are the same with IEMs.......it doesn’t matter.

And another reason you don’t see value in the full-size system is because even if there is a slight improvement, it costs so much that you feel your 90% there now with the IEM system you have.

And OK, you just wanted to find an alternative method to IEMs. Maybe not looking for something better but different. I get it. You don’t even want an improvement with your IER-Z1R.

But if I can say one thing about sources. If you ever did want to check if there was an advantage to getting a different DAP, it may be something that you would only notice after a couple days of use. Meaning people acclimate slowly at times. You can actually acclimate to slightly different sound signatures just by having patience and not trying. Like just concentrating on the music of a system, then after a few days or hours coming to terms with it being fine, or an improvement.

There is a total possible reality that your desired sound IS the ZX300 and IER-Z1R. Any other playback could be strange.....to the point of wrong. :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #6,317 of 15,434
There is a total possible reality that your desired sound IS the ZX300 and IER-Z1R. Any other playback could be strange.....to the point of wrong. :)

I do often get the idea to order this or that from Amazon and just try it for a week, do some blind tests, etc. All with the freedom of returning it if I don't find it to be worth it. The 1A and 1Z have been the main candidates for this experiment. But then, I know that I can't justify buying something like the 1Z new, so I would be returning it anyway and looking for one in the marketplace here. Which means I would be knowingly devaluing a product for Amazon with no real intention to buy. I don't feel completely right with this idea.

Btw, my local guy doesn't have Sony's, otherwise I would just ask him to lend me his demo during one of his holidays.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #6,318 of 15,434
I do often get the idea to order this or that from Amazon and just try it for a week, do some blind tests, etc. All with the freedom of returning it if I don't find it to be worth it. The 1A and 1Z have been the main candidates for this experiment. But then, I know that I can't justify buying something like the 1Z new, so I would be returning it anyway and looking for one in the marketplace here. Which means I would be knowingly devaluing a product for Amazon with no real intention to buy. I don't feel completely right with this idea.

Btw, my local guy doesn't have Sony's, otherwise I would just ask him to lend me his demo during one of his holidays.

I agree......purchasing from Amazon for the sake of demoing to simply return is messed up. Well, the other issue is you would not be really hearing a 1A or 1Z as they really do need 200 hours to hear how they sound. The first 50 hours is totally bad! IMO

You could always find out if there will be some meet or event which will have DAPs to try. Even then it’s totally difficult to spend even 30 minutes to try and discern what’s up. Still remember all of us have taken grand risks. Stupid risks that we wouldn’t want family to know about as they simply wouldn’t understand. At times you just have to try and listen to your gut instinct and take risks. IMO

I say that but I’m totally to blame at not always making the best purchases. Hindsight is always 20/20. :)

The 1A vs the ZX300 is quite the conundrum. Meaning yes, I’ve read about some thinking they are the same. Then in my reading some feel they are different. The time I tried a ZX300 was in Japan and I didn’t know I could change location. It was a Japan only language (non-export model) and Sony never said it could be changed or I may have purchased one. Though it did sound darker than the 1A; so maybe the 1A would be too bright for you?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #6,319 of 15,434
Though it did sound darker than the 1A; so maybe the 1A would be too bright for you?
Especially with the silver cable I'm currently using, amirite? Hahaha!

Seriously though, I feel like nothing is too bright for me, as long as it's clean.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #6,320 of 15,434
Especially with the silver cable I'm currently using, amirite? Hahaha!

Seriously though, I feel like nothing is too bright for me, as long as it's clean.
Are you really using a silver IEM cable? Still I like the 1A with the IER with firmware 3.01.....3.02 didn’t seem so great? Though 3.02 with the older Sony flagship the XBA-Z5 was great. I think the 1A is the best DAP deal from Sony. It’s a lot of amazing!

If you are using a silver IEM cable it could very well be obscuring the ZX300 darkness. :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #6,322 of 15,434
You can only do so much if you are buying and returning on Amazon. There are a threshold algorithms in place of your purchases and returned merchandises values. This threshold varies upon your history. You may be banned from using Amazon LOL!!

Or the Amazon Women come calling.....

In Greek mythology, the Amazons were a race of warlike women noted for their riding skills, courage, and pride, who lived at the outer limits of the known world, sometimes specifically mentioned as the city of Themiskyra on the Black Sea.

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #6,323 of 15,434
Or the Amazon Women come calling.....

In Greek mythology, the Amazons were a race of warlike women noted for their riding skills, courage, and pride, who lived at the outer limits of the known world, sometimes specifically mentioned as the city of Themiskyra on the Black Sea.
What a wonder women that they are :wink:

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #6,324 of 15,434
@Mimouille, what is the output power of your Dethronray DTR1 DAP? and was it SE or balance output?

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #6,325 of 15,434
You can only do so much if you are buying and returning on Amazon. There are a threshold algorithms in place of your purchases and returned merchandises values. This threshold varies upon your history. You may be banned from using Amazon LOL!!
I think this is an urban legend. In the past 3 months Amazon has messed up ~60% of my orders, and just given me over $400 instead of asking me to return the items, and also about ~$200 in refunds for things that arrived late. If they weren't so nice about their stuff ups I would stop buying from them, but as it stands I will keep buying. They don't even ask me for proof they stuffed up, like I would, they just accept it and give me my money back.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #6,326 of 15,434

What do you mean? I buy all my blueray and 4K discs from amazon. For that kind of stuff they are great. Oh yeah, I buy my heater/AC filters on amazon too. :) they have a purpose but I’d rather buy from a local brick & mortar when possible and competitive.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #6,328 of 15,434

Users who are viewing this thread

Back