1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY IER-Z1R

First

Back
411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420
422 423 424 425 426 427 428
Next

Last
  1. Mimouille
    Second trial different opinion. Thins time I used my (awesome) Dethronray DTR1 DAP which drives these like a charm in high gain. Barely at half the volume, and everything sounds well controlled. Recommended to Z1R users for on the go.

This tells me the first I had try at the Sony store was defective or that the WM1Z is not powerful enough.

The Z1R sounds great. Space, bass, resolution, everything. Such air and openness, never seen that in an IEM. But this I knew.

My surprise are the mids. They are indeed a bit thin but only slightly so, so I guess this is back on the list.

A bit huge though. Still very comfortable but huge.

IMG_20200115_115859.jpg

Sp12er3, Vishal, fiascogarcia and 4 others like this.
  2. jmills8
    Obvious a brighter dap with a bit more power will better march this iem. Its Elementry.

3. Redcarmoose
    I always felt some of the Walkman 1Z firmwares.....especially 3.01 were way too bass heavy for the IER-Z1R; making it appear slow and unresponsive in bass-land. 3.02 seems nice as well as offering expanded soundstage making the big IER-Z1R stage seem even bigger. The 1Z could be on the edge of not being powerful enough, though I feel it’s on the better side of that edge?

Nice to have your liking of the IER-Z1R. It’s slowly getting the respect it deserves at Head-Fi. But I have to agree that we can only judge whole systems not part of audio systems. That simple concept seems to be the cause of 1/4 of the confusion at Head-Fi.

Uhhh.....so when you buying a pair? :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Sp12er3 and fiascogarcia like this.
  4. Redcarmoose
    I agree the firmware 3.01 with the 1A makes it sound great and 3.02 with the 1Z (being the brightest firmware) seems best to my ears.

5. Redcarmoose
    I know I sound crazy. But maybe you would hear an improvement with a 1Z now? It’s like why buy a full-size headphone system; that your not even sure your going to like? When you could upgrade your IER-Z1R experience?

6. Mimouille
    Your spelling is elementary too :beyersmile: but DTR1 is not bright at all. It is more powerful, but it would have made sense for the IER-Z1R to pair well with WM1Z. Once again, maybe the first one I have tried was defective, it was the Sony store and it was worn out with cables glued to the IEM.

Redcarmoose and candlejack like this.
  7. Mimouille
    I'll give you 399$ for your pair :beyersmile: (of IEMs)

candlejack likes this.
  8. jmills8
    1z is warm hence not good with it plus Sony has horrid amps.

9. nc8000 Contributor
    I find the 1Z to be an excelent partner with the Z1R and absolutely love the combo

10. Redcarmoose
    I may sound like I’m on a mission, a man on a mission; still I’m guessing you never heard 4.4mm,1Z and firmware 3.02?

Yes.

fiascogarcia likes this.
  11. Redcarmoose
    43389BBF-E665-458A-862E-48F43EAD4D41.gif
    :)

12. Mimouille
    Yes I think so. In any case I have many sources so it would not be an issue. And like I said, the first one might have been a dud.

jmills8 likes this.
  13. Redcarmoose
    Beers! Ah.....I mean cheers!

14. Whitigir
    Now this sounds more like it. The IER-Z1R is surprisingly hard to drive LOL!! I am glad you did enjoy it!!

It actually makes senses when the IER-Z1R was made to pair with Wm1z or 1A. But what you described previously sounds like the Z1R wanted more juices

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Sp12er3 and Redcarmoose like this.
  15. candlejack
    You may be right, but the only reason I even considered trying a new amp is because the headphones sounded a bit off. With the IER-Z1R and ZX-300 nothing sounds off to me, in fact it's pretty great in all aspects. I remember trying the Kann Cube with the Z1R and thinking that it sounded a bit different (harder hitting bass that obstructed a bit the clarity in the mids and highs), but it wasn't extremely obvious, so if you weren't looking for the difference, you might think there is none. And it wasn't immediately clear which one was better too. Whereas with the Arya, it just sounded like a better headphone when I switched to the Hugo2. Like a veil had been lifted.

So the reason I was looking at a full-size option was not because I am unhappy with the Z1R, I'm just interested in trying a different "delivery" experience. It's definitely not something I need, I'm just curious. And if it turns out that I need to spend $6k to get something I actually enjoy without reservations, then screw that. I can wait a few years until the industry comes to its senses... and if it doesn't, that's fine too. And just to make it clear, I don't mind spending a lot of money (money I don't currently have, but anyway :)), but I do mind spending a lot of money on something I don't think is worth it. The HE1000SE probably costs no more than $200 to make and I refuse to allow myself to be robbed like that. :)

The horror! The HORROR!

Sp12er3, phonomat and Mimouille like this.
First

Back
411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420
422 423 424 425 426 427 428
Next

Last