SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 13, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #6,287 of 15,290
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #6,290 of 15,290
Not the right place, maybe, but I have a pair of IER-Z1R TO SEL (SERIAL # 005092).
As new (less then 100 hours).
I just sell it because I do not used as much as it costed....I ended using my S10+ and IT04 much more (even if the sound of the DX220 and IER-Z1R are in another league).
So please, if someone is interested in this iems I sell it for 1000 euro (yes...that low).
I just sell the DX220 and Andro Gold to a german fellow 5 mins ago.
I can send you all the details and pics you want.
I will offer to a CB12S-4.4 cable.
I am the first owner and the package it is the original one.

Best Regards,
paulo

Attachments

• 20200112_214635.jpg
    20200112_214635.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200112_213952.jpg
    20200112_213952.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #6,291 of 15,290
Can you say more about why it doesn’t sound good with the Mojo, as that would have been my recommendation if you were seeking a tamer treble response. I like the pairing, but wouldn’t mind hearing why you see it differently.

Mojo is as good as source….. connected directly to PC with USB Plugin it sounds good, but on a portable setup difficult to find a good source for it. I mostly stream music and do not have good collection of physical files, with phone as source Mojo offer incremental upgrades to SQ, which is not good enough from my experience.

Last weekend did try ZIR with WM1Z, local Audio store has it, SQ is so silky and expressive, on same tracks Mojo sounds dry. May be I should get an DAP which allows me download and play offline.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #6,292 of 15,290
Did try with New bee foam tips, gives me good isolation and don't bolt mid bass like comply tips

20200114_152020.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #6,293 of 15,290
Mojo is as good as source….. connected directly to PC with USB Plugin it sounds good, but on a portable setup difficult to find a good source for it. I mostly stream music and do not have good collection of physical files, with phone as source Mojo offer incremental upgrades to SQ, which is not good enough from my experience.

Last weekend did try ZIR with WM1Z, local Audio store has it, SQ is so silky and expressive, on same tracks Mojo sounds dry. May be I should get an DAP which allows me download and play offline.

The Walkman 1Z, 3.02 firmware and IER-Z1R is the ultimate IMO.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #6,294 of 15,290
A couple of pages ago I asked for some advice about which full size headphone would give me the same listening experience as the IER-Z1R. Well, after some research on my own I went today to my local hi-fi dealer to try some stuff on. I'm gonna keep the story short and say that the thing that came closest (an was maybe better in some ways) was the combo of HE1000SE and Hugo2. The Arya was also very close, I would need more time to decide between it and the bigger sister, but I'm fairly certain that the HE1000SE sounded a bit clearer to me, which I prefer.

But! At 3,500 + 2,200 Euro for my preferred combo, I think this is insane and completely unjustified by the technology (the build quality is especially disappointing).

The second takeaway is that for the first time I actually heard a distinctive difference between sources. I was initially auditioning the headphones on a iDSD Micro BL, which I thought was fine with all the IEMs I tried it with and sounded pretty much the same as some very expensive DAPs. However, all the headphones I tried (btw, that would be the Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-X) sounded a bit muffled. So I asked my guy to let me try another amp just to see if the sound clears up. So he gave me the Hugo2. Now, I didn't A/B or anything like that, but as soon as I switched to the new amp that's exactly what happened: the LCD-X and Arya became clearer and more defined (I had given up on the Clear by that point).

So, there you go, I might have to update my signature to specify that I hear almost no difference between sources only when it comes to IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #6,296 of 15,290
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #6,297 of 15,290
A couple of pages ago I asked for some advice about which full size headphone would give me the same listening experience as the IER-Z1R. Well, after some research on my own I went today to my local hi-fi dealer to try some stuff on. I'm gonna keep the story short and say that the thing that came closest (an was maybe better in some ways) was the combo of HE1000SE and Hugo2. The Arya was also very close, I would need more time to decide between it and the bigger sister, but I'm fairly certain that the HE1000SE sounded a bit clearer to me, which I prefer.

But! At 3,500 + 2,200 Euro for my preferred combo, I think this is insane and completely unjustified by the technology (the build quality is especially disappointing).

The second takeaway is that for the first time I actually heard a distinctive difference between sources. I was initially auditioning the headphones on a iDSD Micro BL, which I thought was fine with all the IEMs I tried it with and sounded pretty much the same as some very expensive DAPs. However, all the headphones I tried (btw, that would be the Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-X) sounded a bit muffled. So I asked my guy to let me try another amp just to see if the sound clears up. So he gave me the Hugo2. Now, I didn't A/B or anything like that, but as soon as I switched to the new amp that's exactly what happened: the LCD-X and Arya became clearer and more defined (I had given up on the Clear by that point).

So, there you go, I might have to update my signature to specify that I hear almost no difference between sources only when it comes to IEMs.

Remember too that your sound signature taste can change. I’ve had it happen to an extent. But what’s really fascinating is reading about reviewers who can’t believe what they wrote two years ago. These are people who pride themselves on an objective and accurate review of IEMs and headphones; but due to preference changes find their own past reviews of questionable validity. :frowning2:

Probably the smartest just buy stuff use it for three months and move on after a quick sale, regardless of financial loss. That beats having a collection of gear at times. Though having a collection allows you to revisit your past self preferences and learn......where without old gear, you just guess about memories.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #6,298 of 15,290
Omg.....I was about to type in so much but I forgot it half way because I have DMP Z1 slamming my ears.
Anyways, yes our preferences change and scale up with our personal experiences :)

that is why....welcome to the rabbit hole...where the sky isn’t the limit anymore but....it is wayssssss beyond that

just like everything else, we progress and grow up with it. This hobby is too ! You grow and change much when you just started out and then slower and more steady when you reach somewhere upper the food chains. But by looking back, yes, you definitely have changed

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #6,299 of 15,290
Omg.....I was about to type in so much but I forgot it half way because I have DMP Z1 slamming my ears.
Anyways, yes our preferences change and scale up with our personal experiences :)

that is why....welcome to the rabbit hole...where the sky isn’t the limit anymore but....it is wayssssss beyond that

just like everything else, we progress and grow up with it. This hobby is too ! You grow and change much when you just started out and then slower and more steady when you reach somewhere upper the food chains. But by looking back, yes, you definitely have changed
Dump

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #6,300 of 15,290

There are also psychological ramifications of having two or more distinct systems. As live music listeners there was a time when we could have a bar band and a couple beers going and feel three steps from audio heaven. Especially if that bar band was playing in an all brick nightclub with good acoustics. Hell.....whatever the acoustics were, how-ever talentless or talented the band was it was a great show, as we didn’t know any better. Then we went to full size stadium shows where the audio was hit or miss. Surprisingly it can be just like headphones........concert (A) too muddy. Next concert (B) too thin, screechy!

Still having multiple home systems gets the listener to admire different points of sound; different sound goals so to speak. As no system is perfect......if anything these different systems add contrast to themselves. It affects your hearing as you don’t necessarily get used to just one system over time. Also many listeners go through phases of music genres. Obviously some only listen to one style of music, but many bounce around and while there is good all-rounder headphones, many seem to specialize on one genre. If anything having both IEMs and full-size will reinforce what a person likes. And.......

Of course most all of this stems from audiophile curiosity; the devil incarnate with regards to wallet opening. Am I missing anything? Is there more? What if? What if I change this? Will this be better?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back