SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #6,241 of 15,280
Which one??

did try with mojo and arrow. Doesn't sound good with mojo (not sure why), arrow is even bright

With LG high impedance trick. Vol at 30% is loud enough.
And you tried different tips and how about different dac/amps.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #6,242 of 15,280
Just wanted to say I got the WM1Z and decided to return it; compared to the RME ADI-2 DAC, I felt there was a little too much emphasis in the treble that made the Z1R sibilant while the ADI-2 DAC gave me everything I wanted as far as resolution/detail was concerned and it felt cleaner too without making them overly bright. The 1Z was on the latest firmware and even with the USB-DAC function enabled, I didn't enjoy the split second audible lag in pausing/playing songs. The build quality and the aesthetics of the unit were really nice however and I liked how it looked when it was paired with the IER-Z1R, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #6,243 of 15,280
Which one??

did try with mojo and arrow. Doesn't sound good with mojo (not sure why), arrow is even bright

With LG high impedance trick. Vol at 30% is loud enough.

Can you say more about why it doesn’t sound good with the Mojo, as that would have been my recommendation if you were seeking a tamer treble response. I like the pairing, but wouldn’t mind hearing why you see it differently.

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #6,244 of 15,280
You know when people say stuff like: "this IEM is so good it almost sounds like full-sized cans", well, after spending 9 months with the IER-Z1R, if I hear an over-ear I like, I immediately think: "wow, this is so good it reminds me of my Z1R". Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to think that yet. Yes, that's right, none of the full-sized flagships I've tried sounded even close to the Z1R in overall fidelity. In general, they each had something that they were doing well, but the full package wasn't there. It always felt like I was listening to some equipment playing music, not to the music itself.

As things go, my birthday is coming up and I was thinking to buy myself a nice pair of over-ears, for when I'm at home and don't feel like sticking something in my ears. But nothing has impressed me so far, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

What full-sized headphone have you come across that sounds similar to the IER-Z1R?

If you could also point out the major differences and similarities, that would help a lot. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #6,245 of 15,280
Any dap or cables suggestions for bit more warm sound, they are more bright for my taste. Currently using LG V40 with stock cable. I mostly stream music Sony daps may not work for me.

iBasso DX160 imo makes for a really nice combination, i previously also used the IER-Z1R with the LG V40 and was rather disapppointed by the result.

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #6,246 of 15,280
You know when people say stuff like: "this IEM is so good it almost sounds like full-sized cans", well, after spending 9 months with the IER-Z1R, if I hear an over-ear I like, I immediately think: "wow, this is so good it reminds me of my Z1R". Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to think that yet. Yes, that's right, none of the full-sized flagships I've tried sounded even close to the Z1R in overall fidelity. In general, they each had something that they were doing well, but the full package wasn't there. It always felt like I was listening to some equipment playing music, not to the music itself.

As things go, my birthday is coming up and I was thinking to buy myself a nice pair of over-ears, for when I'm at home and don't feel like sticking something in my ears. But nothing has impressed me so far, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

What full-sized headphone have you come across that sounds similar to the IER-Z1R?

If you could also point out the major differences and similarities, that would help a lot. Thanks!

The reason they say the full-size thing about the IER-Z1R is due to the soundstage and how the imaging is delineated. Some IEMs have this small world thing going on where it’s all there but micro. The physicality of the IER-Z1R goes a long way to generate the air moving experience you get from a big over ear headphone. So there’s that.

But suggestions would be MDR-Z7 or MDR-Z1R.....of course you knew that. The issue is it’s a little of a challenge to get them to sound right. With not enough power the bass and low end will get foggy and you’ll just revert back to using your IER-Z1R and the full-size will collect dust.

Also you seem aloof about any DAC changes taking place, so I wonder if your up for the challenge of making the full-size experience what it could be. Not to be critical here, but just as IEMs have difficulty in fit; full-size can have difficulty with what you put upstream.

6E11BE9B-E6D8-46A4-A49B-1D02BF124CB2.jpeg
968C35B2-1324-4EFB-96AD-915FE6FDB012.jpeg
F3BBC8DA-6FAD-411B-A05C-20BD5397EDB2.jpeg
4B99D990-2977-487E-8D3D-353666A3D46A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #6,247 of 15,280
The reason they say the full-size thing about the IER-Z1R is due to the soundstage and how the imaging is delineated. Some IEMs have this small world thing going on where it’s all there but micro. The physicality of the IER-Z1R goes a long way to generate the air moving experience you get from a big over ear headphone. So there’s that.

But suggestions would be MDR-Z7 or MDR-Z1R.....of course you knew that. The issue is it’s a little of a challenge to get them to sound right. With not enough power the bass and low end will get foggy and you’ll just revert back to using your IER-Z1R and the full-size will collect dust.

Also you seem aloof about any DAC changes taking place, so I wonder if your up for the challenge of making the full-size experience what it could be. Not to be critical here, but just as IEMs have difficulty in fit; full-size can have difficulty with what you put upstream.

Cool pictures!

Had to look up what aloof means, but I'm not sure it applies to me. You were probably referring to my signature where I say I barely hear any differences between DAPs. Well, that's all that is meant there: that I have trouble hearing differences. I am not rejecting that there are differences and that to some people they are significant. But to my ears, the biggest difference I hear between sources is maybe 2-5% of the difference I hear between 2 different flagship headphones. Then again, my experience is somewhat limited to IEMs, so perhaps with higher impedance headphones sources would make their influence felt a lot more.

Anyway, back on subject, I actually was tempted to just order a pair of MDR-Z1Rs from Amazon to try out (no "audio" place close to me has a demo), but it seems many people consider them to be quite different sounding than their IEM cousin, so that idea never picked up enough steam. Also, the last couple of times I checked, no Amazon site in Europe has the MDR listed... are they discontinued maybe? The Z7 is still in stock though.

And I have to admit that I'm a bit put off by the idea that I need to take extra steps to get the best out of them. I was thinking that the most I'm willing to do when it comes to sources is to buy a iDSD Micro BL (or equivalent).

What would you say is the biggest difference between the Z7 and the Z1R (besides the fact that the Z1R looks killer and the Z7 quite pedestrian)?

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #6,248 of 15,280
Cool pictures!

Had to look up what aloof means, but I'm not sure it applies to me. You were probably referring to my signature where I say I barely hear any differences between DAPs. Well, that's all that is meant there: that I have trouble hearing differences. I am not rejecting that there are differences and that to some people they are significant. But to my ears, the biggest difference I hear between sources is maybe 2-5% of the difference I hear between 2 different flagship headphones. Then again, my experience is somewhat limited to IEMs, so perhaps with higher impedance headphones sources would make their influence felt a lot more.

Anyway, back on subject, I actually was tempted to just order a pair of MDR-Z1Rs from Amazon to try out (no "audio" place close to me has a demo), but it seems many people consider them to be quite different sounding than their IEM cousin, so that idea never picked up enough steam. Also, the last couple of times I checked, no Amazon site in Europe has the MDR listed... are they discontinued maybe? The Z7 is still in stock though.

And I have to admit that I'm a bit put off by the idea that I need to take extra steps to get the best out of them. I was thinking that the most I'm willing to do when it comes to sources is to buy a iDSD Micro BL (or equivalent).

What would you say is the biggest difference between the Z7 and the Z1R (besides the fact that the Z1R looks killer and the Z7 quite pedestrian)?

It’s like if you were a painter and you walk out your door you may notice how great the professional was who painted your neighbors house. But, if you were a roofer you may focus on how the roof tiles were set. A gardener would notice the hedge and so on. Our perception for each of us is extremely different and balances in places but has divergence. Here at Head-Fi the best we can do is try and reach common ground and parallel ideas, when it happens it’s considered a style of truth.

And even owning the different gear, ideas about it change from day to day. Some ideas stay the same...........the Z7 will be more primitive and I feel needs assistance to be great. Maybe you will like it, nothing beats a demo though. The Z7 and MDR-Z1R both have generated controversy here. To me and MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R sound similar. Though at times I think the full size is better? The bass with the IER is more intense and physical. Personally now I mostly think the IER is technically better, but it could be me using IEMs more?

The example at the beginning IS about some folks noticing DAPs or noticing different issues with the full-size headphones. You’ll read too that different folks had different issues. Some didn’t like the MDR treble just like some didn't like the IER treble. At times all three Sony products were said to have too much bass. I don’t EQ so I find mixing amps or changing firmware in the DAPs a solution to what I’m looking for. I have also found cables to work at getting a signature to sound correct. All this is typical audiophile stuff/craziness.

But I would look at it as a project that may not be completed in one moment. I say this as many here have spent 6 months or 6 years trying to dial in the system they own. Probably going to a Head-Fi meet would help you learn about your likes and wants.

For me I would say get the new Sony Flagship DAP that’s not out yet and keep your IEMs. Lol.....Or buy a 1Z and put firmware 3.02 and retire from Head-Fi with your IER-Z1R. The IEMs you have are way better maybe than you think? Maybe?

The best on Earth maybe? It’s a hard thing to top. IMO

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6,249 of 15,280
Cool pictures!

Still it’s all so personal that no one knows. The full-size folks think IEMs are stupid. I remember going to a Head-Fi meet in 2010 and not giving portable gear the time of day? You never know unless you try. And I have not heard too many full-size headphones to really recommend any. That said, it may be some random sound signature that you connect with. It doesn’t have to be the Sony sound. You could like STAX gear?

38D72423-2E45-488D-94B4-0AA5003D8EFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #6,250 of 15,280

Audeze LCD-4Z. I have both 4Z and Z1R and I’m very happy

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #6,252 of 15,280
How's 1Z compare to TAZH1ES to drive IER-Z1R?

To me the 1Z does an excelent job and the TA is marginally better

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #6,253 of 15,280

The ZMF Eikon sounds similar to me. Not quite as extended bass, but it doesn't have the odd treble peak the Z1R does.

Also I think the Stax SR007A with bass port mod sounds better.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #6,255 of 15,280
Thanks, this may be my final portable solution.

It certainly is for me though not for actual on the go use but use in hotels and on hollidays on destination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back