SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 24, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #6,121 of 15,290
I am thinking that I should give the Z1R another try. Several people seem to love it. 5mn in, playing out of my WM1Z, I was amazed by the stage and bass, and then the voices came in.

Recessed, dry, metallic tone. Not music. At all. So either the pair at the Sony store is defective or I'm missing something here.
Mim something must have been wrong. I wouldn't be selling mine if I didn't need to recoup some funds

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #6,124 of 15,290
One thing for sure is that the Mid is recessed :D, but there is way to make it better
Let me guess... it involves some sponges. :)

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #6,128 of 15,290
Ok, now I recall. Too dense of sponges.

I was curious to try but couldn’t do it to something I paid that much money for. With my luck I’d pull a driver out accidentally.
It's very easy to use tweezers to pull out the foam. I replaced my foam and my IERs sound much improved to me; just dont ask me what I replaced it with...lol

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6,129 of 15,290
I agree with others who recommend the stock Sony tips. At least for me, I had to go one size smaller than I typical use so that I get full insertion into the ear canals. Finally get both right and left ear pieces feeling the same and surprised how flush they fit. I do constantly feel the weight of the ear pieces but comfort is very good. Appreciate the link to the replacement parts so I can order a couple extra tips. Final E tips would be a close second, but for my ears the optimal size was in between sizes but others may have the opposite experience. For this IEM, it does come down to a fraction of mm for perfect fit IMHO.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #6,130 of 15,290
I agree with others who recommend the stock Sony tips. At least for me, I had to go one size smaller than I typical use so that I get full insertion into the ear canals. Finally get both right and left ear pieces feeling the same and surprised how flush they fit. I do constantly feel the weight of the ear pieces but comfort is very good. Appreciate the link to the replacement parts so I can order a couple extra tips. Final E tips would be a close second, but for my ears the optimal size was in between sizes but others may have the opposite experience. For this IEM, it does come down to a fraction of mm for perfect fit IMHO.

I settled with hybrid tip MS size which gives me perfect fit. I’m also surprised at how comfortable the Z1R is considering its size. In fact I can get a better and easier fit with Z1R than with my Trio :) oh and it has perfect synergy with 1Z, definitely one the most balanced and natural sounding IEM I’ve ever heard.

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #6,132 of 15,290
You ripped pieces of your mattress out, too??
You had to ask...no, I used an old sock...no joke, it made the IERs sound better balanced for me...lol...

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #6,133 of 15,290
You had to ask...no, I used an old sock...no joke, it made the IERs sound better balanced for me...lol...

yes I’m laughing at you. Yes, I also believe it worked.

no, I can’t do it. Maybe if I ever find a couple grand in a winter jacket I haven’t worn in a year, I’ll buy another set and tinker with these.

a sock stuffed in a $2k pair of some of the most beautiful IEMs. God bless people like you.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #6,134 of 15,290
yes I’m laughing at you. Yes, I also believe it worked.

no, I can’t do it. Maybe if I ever find a couple grand in a winter jacket I haven’t worn in a year, I’ll buy another set and tinker with these.

a sock stuffed in a $2k pair of some of the most beautiful IEMs. God bless people like you.

Merry Christmas to all.
Used unwashed sock at that.

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #6,135 of 15,290
It's very easy to use tweezers to pull out the foam. I replaced my foam and my IERs sound much improved to me; just dont ask me what I replaced it with...lol
with some piwce of a week-long used n' stinky underwear :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back