Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #4,696 of 4,748
Wow. These things are amazing. Great clarity and superbly comfortable. Thank you again.
Final Audio Type E (bass)
Elecom EHP-CAP20 (balanced)
Radius Deep Mount (treble)

My holy trinity of tips. (everyone should have a solid tip collection.)

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #4,700 of 4,748
Weird thing happened recently. Impulsively went and bought a JVC FW-01 cuz I want to change it up a bit. Was kinda disappointed overall but I found something interesting. It has 2 pairs of foam tips and when tried on with the EX1000 and EX800ST, makes them a tad warmer and smoothens out the treble a bit, which is a good thing in my book as the piercing treble and lack of bass is a hit and miss on some of my songs. This is close to what I'd actually do with eq. As an added bonus, it improves on isolation. Now I can actually use these on my daily bus/train commutes just plugged straight into my old trusty ipod. Previously refrained from foam tips as i've had a bad experience with comply foam and I thought the sony triple comforts where as close as it gets to that so I settled on that for awhile. Saw that alot of people have had better experience when switching over to symbio mandarin tips but i didnt manage to find a local store to try them out. Funny thing is that JVC were more well known for their spiral dots, but these afterthought nuggets were the ones that cures my itch.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #4,701 of 4,748
Great discovery and thanx for sharing it! I`ll most definitely check it out :)

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #4,702 of 4,748
Weird thing happened recently. Impulsively went and bought a JVC FW-01 cuz I want to change it up a bit. Was kinda disappointed overall but I found something interesting. It has 2 pairs of foam tips and when tried on with the EX1000 and EX800ST, makes them a tad warmer and smoothens out the treble a bit, which is a good thing in my book as the piercing treble and lack of bass is a hit and miss on some of my songs. This is close to what I'd actually do with eq. As an added bonus, it improves on isolation. Now I can actually use these on my daily bus/train commutes just plugged straight into my old trusty ipod. Previously refrained from foam tips as i've had a bad experience with comply foam and I thought the sony triple comforts where as close as it gets to that so I settled on that for awhile. Saw that alot of people have had better experience when switching over to symbio mandarin tips but i didnt manage to find a local store to try them out. Funny thing is that JVC were more well known for their spiral dots, but these afterthought nuggets were the ones that cures my itch.

I have amassed a collection of almost every tip imaginable over the years - and my favourite for these is the comply comfort foam tips, which elevate bass and provide a decent seal. Paired with a warm amp (I use Cayin C5) - the bass on these is the best I’ve ever heard in terms of detail and separation.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,703 of 4,748
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #4,704 of 4,748
maybe I'm deaf but after more than 10 years from the premiere of Ex1000 in my opinion Ier-z1r is a slightly different tuning ... technically still EX1000 better tuned more transparent sound and technically better bass

Attachments

• 20220428_133127.jpg
    20220428_133127.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #4,707 of 4,748
I hate this thread lol...

I've dug mine out again after seeing posts pop up, the bad thing about them to me other than the fit (mostly solved by Xelastec tips is how much power they need to sing - that being said, out of my FiiO M11 Plus (line out) into Vorzuge Pure II+ - they do sound pretty damned convincing.

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #4,709 of 4,748
maybe I'm deaf but after more than 10 years from the premiere of Ex1000 in my opinion Ier-z1r is a slightly different tuning ... technically still EX1000 better tuned more transparent sound and technically better bass
Tuning wise, I can't really agree, for me the Z1R is simply the perfect IEM, both, for tuning and technicalities. The EX1000 and 800st is just different and are for folks that chases different tuning. They are more of the older sony tuning, dating back to the Qualia 010 time.
They are great, just a bit too specialized for "everything." which for me the IER Z1R is.

Apr 30, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #4,710 of 4,748
Tuning wise, I can't really agree, for me the Z1R is simply the perfect IEM, both, for tuning and technicalities. The EX1000 and 800st is just different and are for folks that chases different tuning. They are more of the older sony tuning, dating back to the Qualia 010 time.
They are great, just a bit too specialized for "everything." which for me the IER Z1R is.

Personal preference. The Z1R tuning is closer to Harman target, which obviously many people prefer. I for my part am not a fan of it, as it makes everything sound warmer than in real life imo. But each to their own.

Anyway, IEMs tuned like the EX1000 are becoming rather rare nowadays. The Dunu Luna is one notable (and capable) exception and a potential upgrade for EX1000 fans in my book. Though, of course, an expensive one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back