Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Feb 26, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #4,726 of 4,748
No, the debris and dirts will get into it and clog it up. You can replace the filters with diy foams and it helps
yeah i have an ex800st without filter, now am looking at an ex1000 without one also, thus my question, mostly Sonically.
i quite like no filter ex800, before it i can only remember it sound kinda muted and boring, unemphasized, non memorable other than the sundstage.

i still have the foam and plastic attachment from the ex800st, do you think i can glue them back to the ex1000?

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,727 of 4,748
yeah i have an ex800st without filter, now am looking at an ex1000 without one also, thus my question, mostly Sonically.
i quite like no filter ex800, before it i can only remember it sound kinda muted and boring, unemphasized, non memorable other than the sundstage.

i still have the foam and plastic attachment from the ex800st, do you think i can glue them back to the ex1000?
You can always glue them back using liquid glue. Removing the filters will make a lot of sound coming out better, especially mid to high frequencies but they can be aggressive

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #4,728 of 4,748
Think the ex800 sounds like the Sennheiser IE8 with my Cowon X7. The 8 might be about that in the names. Think they were competing and sony did a real good job to mimic the organic sound. So glad I found a replacement.

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4,729 of 4,748
Huh.... Im kinda surprised how different the EX1000 is to the EX800st. its immediately way more clear, better pinpoint accuracy, and overall able to capture the soundstage of the recording better, it's more colored for sure, but that's really what I'm looking for this late in the game.

Playing around with a couple foamies tips, including the ones included with itself, the newer ver Red version that came with the XBA and a couple complys as for me I just need a tad more bass down below.
Z1R's Triple comfort tips one other I should try it on with next.
Maybe if i can find which IEM are using my Spiral Dots....
Do I need to check a Z5 and see how different it is also?
My Drive - Google Drive and 42 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge 2_28_2023 9_14_22 PM.png

Sony's best of every Generation.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #4,730 of 4,748
I prefer the XBA-N3 over the Z5 overall. And the XBA-A3 as well.

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #4,731 of 4,748
I keep it around as the bass make it the best iem for movie watching for me, I figure by now trying N3 or the Z5 is kinda moot with Z1R around.
Last time I heard it is on Jaben but that's just once and I didn't bring much gear back then.
Sure looks unique tho, wonder why sony didn't continue that path of hybrid design, their only problem right now is really the size of Z1R.

So far, I'm quite keen on the EX1000, it might actually be the iem I was looking for a year ago, back when the KSE1200 failed on me, returned it, then I picked up both an Ocharaku and an OG Andromeda to complement the Z1R, might it be able to beat either of them? Let's see. 😁

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #4,732 of 4,748
Huh.... Im kinda surprised how different the EX1000 is to the EX800st. its immediately way more clear, better pinpoint accuracy, and overall able to capture the soundstage of the recording better, it's more colored for sure, but that's really what I'm looking for this late in the game.

Playing around with a couple foamies tips, including the ones included with itself, the newer ver Red version that came with the XBA and a couple complys as for me I just need a tad more bass down below.
Z1R's Triple comfort tips one other I should try it on with next.
Maybe if i can find which IEM are using my Spiral Dots....

I prefer Final Audio Type E tips for use on the EX1000. They really keep the treble in check.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,733 of 4,748
Hmm sadly after comparison, on both classical orchestra and acoustic, the 2genre I'm looking into the EX1000 can't beat the speed and precision of the Andro while losing in timbre and bass impact against the Ocharaku, the one thing it has is good forward midrange, in that sense it kinda reminded me of my AD1000x.... I'm also still stuck with foamies with it, not ideal for quick in and out off ear.

So for now it fell to my step down setup (with XBA A3 and IM04) while the Andro + Ocharaku are accompanying the Z1R in another, more secure pelican case.

At least That's how I justify having so many IEMs, making sets of Trios for different occasions.
It's for sure better than the EX800ST for me tho, that one is more genre agnostic, yeah but in the end it's like many other IEM, its not special at anything.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #4,734 of 4,748
A quick question to all owners of the EX1000 and EX800ST. Regarding the foam in the nozzle, what is stopping deteriorating foam from falling into the driver? I see many people remove the foam filters (especially in their EX800ST), but is there a danger of foam falling into the driver and damaging the IEM?

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #4,735 of 4,748
A quick question to all owners of the EX1000 and EX800ST. Regarding the foam in the nozzle, what is stopping deteriorating foam from falling into the driver? I see many people remove the foam filters (especially in their EX800ST), but is there a danger of foam falling into the driver and damaging the IEM?
It should not fall into it due to friction, the 800st also has this:
1685716068384.png

that is placed between the driver and the foam. So it is also stopped by that.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #4,736 of 4,748
I think nowadays the EX1000's tuning is definitely behind the curve. The 2 kHz pinna does sound distinctly off to me when compared to more reference IEMs. On a technical level, it doesn't have the resolution chops that modern flagships do either; it's solidly mid-fi.

However, its overall presentation is still extremely hard to beat and possibly still my favorite IEM when it comes to purely instrumental/classical-style music.
EX-1000 is mid-fi and has resolution issues? This is something I cannot agree with. Have a listen to Velvet Rope by Janet Jackson, I don't hear this level of detail with other iems. The fit as others have mentioned is an acquired taste.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back