Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #4,711 of 4,748
I think the Z1R thing that bothers me is the combination of warmth & brightness (or perhaps just the type of brightness)- I'd generally rather use M9* which leans in to the warmth, or vise versa the EX1000 leaning into cool.

Z1R doesn't replicate EX1000's magic trick of flat-yet-tactile bass, but tuning aside it does strike me as performing well- combined w/ treble extension, perhaps more even-tempered midrange, and impressive presentation while also isolating a bit, understandable that some would prefer it.

Guess the thing they have most in common is that a lot of people can't stand the fit.

*speaking of m9, @ james444, IIRC you're primarily interested in DD IEMs, but ever tried them? I think somewhat similar to FD01 mod, and with wide bore tips like Spiral Dots the Sony warmth is tamed a bit- Although it's a trade off with sightly peakier treble masking stock tip's smooth extension which is otherwise a strong suit.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #4,712 of 4,748
It’s funny, and I know it’s been said by myself multiple times on this thread, just how competent the EX1000 can be, I normally “get” them for a couple of days before them falling below the radar again for another year or two, but running them through the Vorzuge Pure II+ from the FiiO M11 Plus LTD, they are seriously competent.

Amazing what tricks an old dog can still learn - they’ve been my go to for the past few days, some things that they can do that most of my other IEMs cannot, kudos to the designers of these, albeit 11 years late from me.

May 2, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #4,713 of 4,748
I think nowadays the EX1000's tuning is definitely behind the curve. The 2 kHz pinna does sound distinctly off to me when compared to more reference IEMs. On a technical level, it doesn't have the resolution chops that modern flagships do either; it's solidly mid-fi.

However, its overall presentation is still extremely hard to beat and possibly still my favorite IEM when it comes to purely instrumental/classical-style music.

May 3, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,714 of 4,748
I think nowadays the EX1000's tuning is definitely behind the curve. The 2 kHz pinna does sound distinctly off to me when compared to more reference IEMs. On a technical level, it doesn't have the resolution chops that modern flagships do either; it's solidly mid-fi.

However, its overall presentation is still extremely hard to beat and possibly still my favorite IEM when it comes to purely instrumental/classical-style music.
Add PEQ into the mix and that solves a lot of the problems.

I also found out that the EX800ST, without the foams, actually sound better than the EX1000.
(Although I suspect the EX1000 to also get an improvement if you remove the foam in it.)

May 4, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #4,715 of 4,748
Add PEQ into the mix and that solves a lot of the problems.

I also found out that the EX800ST, without the foams, actually sound better than the EX1000.
(Although I suspect the EX1000 to also get an improvement if you remove the foam in it.)

I’d agree - one of the major strengths of the EX1000 is how you can EQ it in any way and it holds up. The versatility of a large dynamic driver is such a plus and for me when it comes to comparing with more recent reference IEM’s it seems to come down to preference (and what one’s definition of ‘reference’ actually is) more than anything else.

There are definitely people here more qualified than me to comment on this though.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #4,716 of 4,748
Just to share the great synergy I've found with RU6 as well as WA8 on my decade old EXK. Sadly they hiss too much when I tried them with the HA-300ii.. too much? ^ ^;

Amazing how well they're holding up even today.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #4,717 of 4,748
Just to share the great synergy I've found with RU6 as well as WA8 on my decade old EXK. Sadly they hiss too much when I tried them with the HA-300ii.. too much? ^ ^;

Amazing how well they're holding up even today.
I was surprised when I tried tubes (it was a tube hybrid I recall) with EX1000 long ago. It sounded very realistic and opened up the spaciousness of the sound. It was a mind blowing experience at the time. It's one of those things you don't expect.

I know the usual protocol is near 0 output impedance for iems (dynamic drivers a bit different), yada yada, but EX1000 is an oddball.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #4,718 of 4,748
Come to think of it, likely tube hybrids with low enough impedance would work. High impedance OTL will likely not work.

I think the reason why it doesn"t need a drastic low impedance amp is the fact this the driver is 32 ohms and has a linear impedance response. So try tubes of impedance within the range.

The impedance level of this iem is about the typical level of portable full sized headphones. Usually, dynamic drivers iems are 16 ohms, etc..

It was just something random I tried and was surprised.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,719 of 4,748
Based on my experience, the tube amp thing happens due to couple of reasons.

Tube amps usually soften peaks of the headphone/iem response. We know that the EX1k response has peaks. By softening the peaks, it's changing the tonal response, and perhaps to sound more 'natural' or tonally realistic. Likely the tubes soften the peaks. I know for a fact tubes do soften the peaks since my Zana Deux OTL softens the 800S to be listenable, but also at the same time increase the bass response and imaging depth.

It is well known that tubes distort the signal. The clipping of peaks is a distortion of the original signal. This means the signal output isn't accurate to the original, but if we want to improve the overall output of the system as awhole, particularly with a response that has peaks in it, is it worse or better as far as how the sound is heard? You can compensate for the peaks in the respose with an input that filters out the signal so that peaks in the sound output is less extreme.

2nd, we know that tubs causes something in the sound that makes it seem like there is a large sound space, and greater depth to the sound space. This is often what is mention by people when they listen out of tube amps.

My guess is that at minimum, both of those aspects are at play in the case for EX1k if using a tube amp.

graph (1).png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #4,720 of 4,748
Someone must have noted this already but threadsearch isn't being very helpful - Acoustune 1790 (there's also the less costly 1750 which appears to be a bass boosted version). Though with smaller drivers and what appear to be sealed housings, maybe a bit less interesting.

acoustuneex1000.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #4,722 of 4,748
Does getting rid of the filter of these usually a good thing? I did the same to my Ex800st cuz the stock tuning is so boring but how is it with the big brother?

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #4,725 of 4,748
I think the filter is needed otherwise it sounds shrill but the effect is minimal. I lost one of my filters on the EX1000 and recently got the EX800 and think it sounds comfy and complete in comparison.... Where can I get a replacement filter? I don't think I can make one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back