Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
May 11, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,126 of 4,748
I just heard the recordings of Bill Evans' trio in1961 at the Village Vanguard (Sunday at the V. V. and Waltz for Debby) and I'm shocked how the EX1000 handles these recordings. I already knew that they were well recorded, but not to such extremes. The level of detail of Scott LaFaro's double bass (for me, the best in history) is exceptional. I encourage the owners of these IEM to try these recordings, not in streaming please, 16 bit Flac is more than enough. Have a great Saturday!

May 14, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #4,127 of 4,748
from several tips i have, im on the same boat that spiral dots provide best sound and fit, other than that i switch to radius deep mount (also JDM tips like spiral dots) for improving micro details and sub bass (more texture), in a trade of wider soundstage using spiral dots. they have their own benefits and cons.
I am currently using UE red tips and so far am happy with them.

May 14, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #4,128 of 4,748
There is something weird on my reterminated RK long cable. Currently it's on 2.5 balanced connection but there's something off with the tonality. I ended up using the stock short cable and currently waiting on some cheap extension cable from Alie to use with the short cable.

May 15, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #4,129 of 4,748
Let the battle begin
20190515_203739.jpg

May 16, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #4,130 of 4,748
Hi all!

Just another update on tip rolling. I recently purchased a pair of small triple comfort tips for the ex1k and noticed there isn't a more in depth review yet so here's my opinion on them vs stock tips and comply. Here's a picture of the lineup for size comparisons.

Left to right: Stock ss, tc s, stock s, comply t200 isolation

20190516_164427_HDR.jpg

Things to note on the tc:
The inner tube has the exact same grooves as stock tips so it might fit the ex1k better than say the complys. The outer silicon part is now made of some sort of material different to that of the complys or the foam in the noise isolating tips. Here's a close up:

20190516_164519_HDR.jpg

The complys were previously used with my ex600 and i find them too big for my ears, hence trying to achieve a proper seal caused the foam to separate from the hard tubing and scratch my ear canal opening. And here's how they look on the iems:

20190516_164854_HDR.jpg

Imho, they are slightly more comfortable, fits my ear better as in they make me feel as if i have nothing on my ear when nothing's playing, even more so than stock tips, and hence isolate abit better. Tried walking on the streets and along alleys with air compressors earlier and they did well. Of course they wont achieve complete isolation as we all know... For sound, they don't have any discernible difference from stock tips so i guess it's just an alternative rather than an upgrade for those curious about tip rolling. Plus, they are dirt cheap at sony center. I got mine for SGD 2.10 so why not.

Oh yeah on a side note, surprisingly there is still some stock left on the rk-ex1klp cable at sony center but they are running out soon and costs SGD180+ so i hope this info will be used in good faith by those who still prefer the stock cables vs aftermarkets and not be one of those self-serving aholes who'll gobble up the whole batch and sell them at exorbitant prices. Seriously, they are good cables. If you still have them and the connection gets spotty, please just reterminate them instead of throwing them away.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4,132 of 4,748
Cool!!! I will be paying attention.

I like em so far. Theyre tuned different but dont seem very far behind the ex1k as far as overall quality goes. I got the ex600 for 100 bucks im happy. Will give them a few days and post some impressions/comparisons next week probably

May 16, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #4,134 of 4,748
The price is about half the ex1000s used. Would you say its close enough or not?
Not really, some places are selling them at inflated prices, even more than the EX1000.

May 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,135 of 4,748
The price is about half the ex1000s used. Would you say its close enough or not?

Depends on ehat youre looking for. Ex600 is pretty much flat so treble can seem a bit rolled off. The thing about the 600 is due to being more flat compared to the ex1k, mids have more fullness to them, making guitars and vocals a bit more satisfying. The ex1k wins in resolution, soundstage, bass and speed. I still prefer the ex1k at this point. The ex600 is SORT of like a baby ex1k but its tuned so differently that at the same time it is its own iem. Guessing the ex800st bridges that gap?

May 23, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #4,136 of 4,748
I'm using the EX1000 with a balanced cable that is somewhat rigid and very microphonic. I would like you to tell me about your experiences with the MMCX adapters (the brass one is 30$) or if it's better to buy another specific cable for these IEMs directly. Thank you very much.

May 27, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #4,138 of 4,748
May 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,140 of 4,748
Considering that the E4UA adapters seem too expensive, while I'm thinking of buying a new balanced cable, I have seen a great improvement in the sound using Spiral Dots tips smaller than those I was using. I had in mind that the "desired seal of an IEM" was easier to achieve with a larger tip, but it seems that I was wrong, at least with this kind of IEM. Now, in addition to jazz and classical, electronic music sounds fabulously good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back