Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #3,167 of 4,748
The EX1000 cable (the japan version for the EX1000) appears much durable than the EX600 cable. Two pairs of EX600 cables died in my hands while my EX1000 cable has been running strong for 2 yrs now, considering I never babysit it and I throw it in my pocket almost daily on the go. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #3,168 of 4,748
Does anybody use Comply tips with these? I find they really help combat the treble sheen and resonance I hear (particularly in male voices) without removing detail.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,170 of 4,748
i get it now, after almost $80 worth of tips and 3 three days of frustrations, I get it now...

No more nasty peaks and the bass is finally there without me holding the iem against my ears.  These things goes against all your knowledge of how a iem should seal and sit in your canal.  I don't know if its just me but you have to find some tips that will seal as deep as it can go in your canals with out irritating you.  The nozzle has to sit as close as it can to your eardrums.  These ex1000 are good and I will be keeping them for awhile.

"hi everyone, my name is Chilly and I just join the selected few that loves the ex1000s"  
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #3,171 of 4,748
  i get it now, after almost $80 worth of tips and 3 three days of frustrations, I get it now...

No more nasty peaks and the bass is finally there without me holding the iem against my ears.  These things goes against all your knowledge of how a iem should seal and sit in your canal.  I don't know if its just me but you have to find some tips that will seal as deep as it can go in your canals with out irritating you.  The nozzle has to sit as close as it can to your eardrums.  These ex1000 are good and I will be keeping them for awhile.

"hi everyone, my name is Chilly and I just join the selected few that loves the ex1000s"  
biggrin.gif

Bro do me a favor and listen to the detail in this track....it's mind boggling. They got one of those carnival spinners going on.

Death Row was all weeded out and they went Pink Floyd in the studio with crazy stuff you can't hear without the ex1000.

I put these up against anything.
Pimp to Pimp Playa to Playa these things will turn out much more expensive sets and send em on a hoe stroll
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,172 of 4,748

biggrin.gif

What tips did you settle on?

Everything I read suggested shallow insertion is the only way to go.

I have a theory - all the tips that the EX1000 have very narrow sound holes relative to the bore of the IEM itself. A lot of the IEM's bore is covered in plastic, with the sound being forced through a small plastic tunnel. I wonder - is this adding to the treble hardness?

Are there any aftermarket non-foam tips that don't cover the bore at all? Comply tips leave things nice and open and the treble is well, well, well reduced (but not muffled).

EDIT: And as I ask that, I find a pack of generic tips in my parts drawer. Originally advertised as tips for my old TripleFi but they weren't close to fitting. Well, they fit wonderfully on the EX1000. I'll do some proper ABing when I'm rested!

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,173 of 4,748

I have a theory - all the tips that the EX1000 have very narrow sound holes relative to the bore of the IEM itself. A lot of the IEM's bore is covered in plastic, with the sound being forced through a small plastic tunnel. I wonder - is this adding to the treble hardness?

No, narrow bore tips actually help smooth out the treble harshness. From what I've read, the peaks are due to the perpendicular-mounted drivers, so bore / tips / insertion can only mitigate them. However, people happen to have different sensitivities when it comes to treble. And insertion depth can shift the resonant frequencies a bit, so for some (like myself) shallow insertion may do the trick, while others may find themselves preferring deeper insertion. It's definitely worth trying out different options to find out what works best for you.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,175 of 4,748

No, narrow bore tips actually help smooth out the treble harshness. From what I've read, the peaks are due to the perpendicular-mounted drivers, so bore / tips / insertion can only mitigate them. However, people happen to have different sensitivities when it comes to treble. And insertion depth can shift the resonant frequencies a bit, so for some (like myself) shallow insertion may do the trick, while others may find themselves preferring deeper insertion. It's definitely worth trying out different options to find out what works best for you.

Yeah, I might have to admit that it's Comply or bust for me with these.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,176 of 4,748

Bro do me a favor and listen to the detail in this track....it's mind boggling. They got one of those carnival spinners going on.

Death Row was all weeded out and they went Pink Floyd in the studio with crazy stuff you can't hear without the ex1000.

I put these up against anything.
Pimp to Pimp Playa to Playa these things will turn out much more expensive sets and send em on a hoe stroll
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, good ****!  I'm gonna go through the whole lp tonight.  Went through  "to pimp a butterfly" last night.

These things are banging, and now I know why you love them so much.  I couldn't get a good fit the first time owning them, but I blame myselft for that.  I had to many things to listen to at the time and didn't give these things enough love.

To put it in a few words about the 1000 for me, would be life like and accurate.  I can put down all the geek vocab but you guys know what I'm talking about :).  Real instruments sounds like real instruments as if you heard them live.

Don't know if I'm fan-boying hard or its just the new "new car smell" but paired with the pha-3, its bliss.

What tips did you settle on?

Are there any aftermarket non-foam tips that don't cover the bore at all? Comply tips leave things nice and open and the treble is well, well, well reduced (but not muffled).

EDIT: And as I ask that, I find a pack of generic tips in my parts drawer. Originally advertised as tips for my old TripleFi but they weren't close to fitting. Well, they fit wonderfully on the EX1000. I'll do some proper ABing when I'm rested!

With all the tips that I bought I ended up with some complys that I dindn't even buy.  It was from my set of U8's.  

I think I'm gonna get some small Aurisonic sureseals.  I don't like the idea that I'm gonna need to buy new complys every 3 months since they wear out quickly for me.

Like James444 said, there is no one way of wearing these things.  They are so tip and insertion dependant that you won't know which tips will work best for you until you try it.  for me, if I put in the iem and can hear the difference in bass when I push them in further, then its not a good seal yet.  But once you get it right, you will be rewarded.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #3,178 of 4,748
I just ordered these from a chinese seller, EXK to MMXC, he only had one left, and closed it's listing in Taobao.

Not sure how good they are until I receive them.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #3,180 of 4,748
  The EX1000 cable (the japan version for the EX1000) appears much durable than the EX600 cable. Two pairs of EX600 cables died in my hands while my EX1000 cable has been running strong for 2 yrs now, considering I never babysit it and I throw it in my pocket almost daily on the go. 

My ex600 cable last me over 5 years, still using it, using the EX1000 cables gives much more bass into the EX600, but using the EX1000 cable on the EX800, the bass sound muffed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back