Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3,136 of 4,748
... which reminds me of a little mod I posted in an other forum, for those who are bothered by the EX1000's treble. It's easy and reversible, so I'd say no harm in giving it a shot. Just leave the stock filter as is and place a narrow strip of dried alcohol swab across the nozzle before you put the tips on:

Calms down the treble just a bit, but without changing the overall signature of the EX1000. Make sure that the strip covers only about 30-40% of the nozzle, because to my ears a wider strip doesn't necessarily yield the best results.

Cool idea, looks very simple. Is there any reason why people don't just use EQ to cut spikes? Just curious

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,137 of 4,748
Cool idea, looks very simple. Is there any reason why people don't just use EQ to cut spikes? Just curious

Can't give a general answer, but I've been asked this before:

I think we've had this discussion before. 
wink.gif
  Can't speak for everyone, but here are my reasons:

First of all, I'm not opposed to EQ at all. However, ...

1. ... many DAPs have poor EQ implementation, so you'll need something like Rockbox, or an IOS / Android based source for really high quality EQ.
  2. ... if you're using your IEMs with several DAPs and / or a stationary source, getting the same EQ on all of them can be a pita.
  3. ... modding will change the signature consistently and once-for-all, no matter what source you use.
  4. ... modding can achieve more than EQ, e.g change transients or equalize air pressure.

On the other hand, some issues like e.g. treble spikes are much easier to correct with EQ than modding. 

Bottom line, I think the most important thing is to stay open-minded und simply try out what works best for you. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,139 of 4,748
Can't give a general answer, but I've been asked this before:

I generally like EQ better because I can quickly A/B test them in real time because if the differences are not large I might not be able to accurately compare them side by side. But I'm open minded to whatever can fix my headphones if I ever feel the need to

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,142 of 4,748
  Got my ex1000s today, and boy do they sound amazing. They are the first iems I have owned that truly have an "out of the head" sound and can really compare to headphones in terms of instrument size. I don't really hear a treble peak like many say, it sounds fairly neutral maybe ever so slightly u-shaped. If the mids just came out a bit more in the 2khz region these would really be perfect

Yes, I just got mine and the soundstage is the widest out of anything I've ever heard. Wider than the Shure SE846, and twice as wide as the Etymotic ER-4XR.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #3,143 of 4,748
I'm having an EX1000 love fest right now, which doesn't happen very often, trouble is that they're just too picky, the music I'm listening to right now sounds fantastic, other artists, not so...

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,145 of 4,748
My poor etymotics.... Those were my first entry into the HiFi world and they essentially get 0 head time today

The new XR is quite good, but the soundstage is very narrow in comparison.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,146 of 4,748
The new XR is quite good, but the soundstage is very narrow in comparison.

From what I'm aware of, the er4sr is the same as the er4s except with new design while the er4xr has more lower bass. I think single driver balanced armature iems are not worth it as I'm not convinced they can produce a realistic body and instrument size. I tried EQing my er4pt (with s adapter) and the more bass I add, the more bloated and muddy it becomes yet it still lacks a sense of body that a single driver dynamic driver would have no problem at. It's not so much about lacking bass which I think is fine with comply tips, more so about lacking body. I believe a multi driver balanced armature can solve this

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,147 of 4,748
From what I'm aware of, the er4sr is the same as the er4s except with new design while the er4xr has more lower bass. I think single driver balanced armature iems are not worth it as I'm not convinced they can produce a realistic body and instrument size. I tried EQing my er4pt (with s adapter) and the more bass I add, the more bloated and muddy it becomes yet it still lacks a sense of body that a single driver dynamic driver would have no problem at. It's not so much about lacking bass which I think is fine with comply tips, more so about lacking body. I believe a multi driver balanced armature can solve this

Well, the big advantage is getting a slightly more "accurate" 4S sound with much more realistic sensitivity and impedance. It's like running a better 4S straight from your phone. They're a great unit.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #3,148 of 4,748
Might've taken me 6 years (!) but I think I've finally found what makes the EX1000 so special to some people...

PRaT and tonal depth / quality are exceptional for a dynamic... Making me question quite a few things right this minute.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #3,149 of 4,748
Might've taken me 6 years (!) but I think I've finally found what makes the EX1000 so special to some people...

PRaT and tonal depth / quality are exceptional for a dynamic... Making me question quite a few things right this minute.

I have O.C.D
  (diagnosed when 15) 
The EX1000 when listened to for sonic cues in particular songs and then over all are unmatched. I know the stated weaknesses of them but I cannot find another set that gives the same stage and detail retrieval. I have been listening to the Chesky records ultimate CD and then comparing with other items and the EX1000 are just very very impressive. Getting the seal is the deal and compensating for bass that is pretty planar like was my own personal challenges with them.

I thought audiophile was true to master with a balance of sonic power and delicate sonic minutia? The whole thing. Puzzled why these are not legends with a capital "L"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back