Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,216 of 4,748
Musiland02US>Dowin DW04 75ohm impedance adaptor>MDR7550 --- sounds like the mids was pushed back or EQ'd down - giving more emphasis on the highs and lows plus a more cleaner sound. I wonder if this is how the EX1000 sounds like...

Quote:
^I too inquired about the K2 SP. I'll watch out for your impression on that as well.
I have a 75Ohm IA in the office. Will try it tomorrow.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,217 of 4,748
I uh... Resistors have ripples, especially the higher ones. That said, adding a bunch of ohms to your stuff will indeed alter the response of the driver. Just how it changes, though, is a whole other matter.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,220 of 4,748
What ripples are you talkin about?  Can you explain, and also how it changes the FR?  Thanks.
smile.gif

Quote:
I uh... Resistors have ripples, especially the higher ones. That said, adding a bunch of ohms to your stuff will indeed alter the response of the driver. Just how it changes, though, is a whole other matter.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,221 of 4,748
Ripples.

[Stereophile]

Resistor values are non-linear. Simple as that.

[HeadRoom]

You're placing a Gorram blind bet connecting resistors to your headphone. Though, it is the cheapest and easiest (and warranty-preserving) way to alter the sound signature of your headphones.
I generally advise against listening with added resistance. Except for Etymotic, maybe. Those guys make their pwn resistor cables so I would believe that they are checked to be more or less linear.
Multi-BA are even worse in this regard. As an experience with multi-driver speakers, crossover networks do not like a bunch of resistance in front of them. No no no. No rhubarb in their cake.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #1,222 of 4,748
Quote:
Wow, nice? Does it support incremental increments (i.e. not sliding up and down on a pane of glass)? I find myself cannot live with the touchscreen technology...Tapping on a hard surface doesn't work for me, which is why I love the Dell Latitude keyboard.

I'm not a big fan of touchscreen devices either - my mobile is the pretty modest (for today's standards) Nokia X2. External buttons on the Sony X1060, A847 & A857 are brilliant and I do miss them. My favourite, though, on the whole, is still the old iPod click wheel - truly revolutionary & very effective. Now, if older iPods (including the Classic) had come with external volume buttons... BTW, my laptop is also a Dell.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #1,223 of 4,748

Quote:
For EX1000 fans, if you want to try a different cable, here's one http://www.custom-iem.com/trophy-beat-audio-earphone-cable-p-639.html

on "socket selection" you can select EX1000.

Quote:
Good find. I may try one of their cables, since any of them can be selected with the EX1000 sockets. I still have fit issues because I can't get the chin slider to stay up tight (which exerts downward pressure on the ear loops, then keeping the earphones securely in place)- after a short while it keeps loosening and working its way back down the cable. Every few minutes I have to cinch it up again. Too bad fit has always been a bit of an issue with these for me. Maybe a different cable with better slider would help with a more secure fit (and a small boost in SQ would be an added perk of course). 

An update- I've been emailing with Stephen Guo from UM and to get an upgrade cable from Beat Audio you have to send in your current Sony cable so they can cut the connectors off to make the new one. This is totally unacceptable for me, since I would require keeping my original ones in case there was something I didn't like about the upgrades. I'm not at all willing to trash my stock cables for the off chance the sound could be marginally improved. 

Will wait for a different option. And, I think they should note that's what you have to do on their site up front. Kind of makes it an incomplete product offering, since no other cable upgrade companies require that as far as I know, and their cables aren't cheap by any means (with the exception of the entry level model). 

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #1,224 of 4,748

Got my EX1000s back today.

After 1.5 hours A/B'ing both phones, I've now definitely decided to keep my EX1000s and put my 7550s up for sale. Most of what I've written in the last few days still stands, but here are a few more observations:

The 10% or so difference I'd perceived between the EX600 & EX1000 seems to have made a difference in my decision to keep the 1000s and sell the 7550s.

While I still find the 7550's mids to be slightly better overall, they are, in fact, a little closer to the EX1000s than I initially thought. I guess that's more to do with how I originally perceived the similarities between the EX600 & EX1000's mids - they are very, very similar, but the EX1000's mids seem to be a wee bit fuller, with ever so slightly more body/robustness (but not forward), something they share with the 7550s. I may still prefer the 7550's mids slightly more forward presentation (but only just), but when looking at the whole frequency range, the EX1000 do have the edge over the 7550s, even if the Ex1000's have that upper mids/lower treble spike, which for the most part has proved to be brilliantly done and quite smooth where other IEMs might get it wrong attempting a similar type of tuning.

The 7550s do have excellent extension at both ends of the spectrum but the EX1000s do seem to extend just a tad more, and this, surprisingly, is a little more noticeable at the lowest end of the spectrum (just a bit more rumble). Perhaps the different type of vents on all three IEMs, the different materials used in the housings and drivers plus different type of filters do play a part, after all. Soundstage on the EX1000 is indeed a little wider, with more depth, but the 7550s soundstage is excellent. I do perceive a very slightly wider SS on the EX1000s over the EX600s, but didn't want to waste time A/B'ing both EX phones (don't really enjoy A/B'ing) as I needed to focus on both higher-end models. 

So, I do think the EX1000 is a better IEM than the 7550s. If I didn't have my ES3X and I could only keep one all-purpose IEM, I'd have to spend a good 5-8 days with both to make up my mind, though I feel I'd still go for the EX1000. In my very initial impressions, where I compared the W4s & EX1000s I spoke of how the EX1000s were a little brighter than I like on some recordings. Fortunately, on the second day with the EX1000 loaner, I tested many more albums and that's when I just had to place my order for the EX1000s. The 7550s are a little more forgiving on such brighter type of recordings, but on good ones the EX1000 are the better IEM. 

While the EX600 is a closer relative of the EX1000 than of the 7550, I'd take the 7550 over the EX600 as the former is an all-round better performer, specially when 'pushed to the limit' - the differences in all 3 bands between the 600s & 7550s isn't quite like the differences between the EX1000 & 7550s - mids, in particular, sound even more appealing on the 7550s than on the EX600s, and I'd probably take the high-end extension too, whereas the low-end at low to mid volumes I'd take the EX600s and the 7550s at louder volume settings.

So, I do think that while the EX1000 may be/seem overpriced, the pricing at least accurately represents, in my view, which IEM is better. That said, the price of the 7550s seems very appropriate - build quality on the 7550s is definitely closer to the EX1000s than it is to the EX600.

I'd still recommend the EX600 to most people as they are clearly the best bang-for-the-buck of the 3 and do better than quite a few other $300-$400 IEMs I've owned. However, I see both 7550s & EX1000s keeping in better shape after years of constant use (and abuse).

I still prefer the length of the 7550 cable (though most people probably wouldn't) along with the much smaller and practical case, but prefer the longer ear-guides of the EX1000/EX600 cables. I also prefer the suppleness, thickness & complete lack of microphonics of the genuine (non American) EX1000 cable, but prefer the strain relief at the plug on the EX600 cable.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,227 of 4,748
Ditto! As much as you liked the 7550 music, I almost knew in the back of my mind that you wouldn't part from the EX1000's. No particular reason, just a gut feeling. :D

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,228 of 4,748

Quote:
Ditto! As much as you liked the 7550 music, I almost knew in the back of my mind that you wouldn't part from the EX1000's. No particular reason, just a gut feeling.
biggrin.gif

But......The day is young yet

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,229 of 4,748

Quote:
What front-end source devices (DAP, computer, transport, etc.) are you EX1000 pwners using?

XFi Elite Pro optical > Leckerton UHA6S > phones.

Quote:
Except for Etymotic, maybe. Those guys make their pwn resistor cables so I would believe that they are checked to be more or less linear.

Correct, they actually designed the ER4S/B first then reduced/removed the resistor in making the ER4P to accommodate the rise of portable DAPs.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #1,230 of 4,748
Never understood that either. It's as though the prices drop until they've made a few sales, after which the price is significantly increased.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back