Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Jul 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #1,201 of 4,748
Quote:

I don't think it's really fair to be 100% conclusive at this stage (even if I trust my recent audio memory) about the 7550s & EX1000s. I should get my EX1000s tomorrow, and I'll do a serious head-to-head between both phones.

At a $100+ less expensive, the more I read, the more the 7550 continues to appeal to me. Not to mention, B&H offers a 3 YR warranty for a very resonable $25, versus the 3 MO Sony offers my 'American' EX1000's. Looking forward to your comparison my friend.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,202 of 4,748
This is a bit OT, but music_4321 I see from your signature that you have gone over to Apple media players, you used to be Sony fan, what made you change your mind? Was Touch more versatile player or you prefer its sound quality to Sony's?

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,203 of 4,748
^ Always had Nanos, specially for work-related stuff.

I got the 4G Touch because I found it has pretty good sound (better than the two 160GB Classics I previously owned & the 4 Nanos I've had), but I also wanted some of the added features (web-browsing/emailing). I like the 'Equalizer' app on the Touch as I think it provides slightly better audio than the onboard music app, but Equalizer drains the Touch battery faster. It is great for EQ'ing but I always have it set to 'Flat' - No, I'm not a purist but I do tend to not EQ the music I listen to, that's why I've always looked for great phones that need no EQ'ing. Though EQ'ing can certainly improve things at times, to me, it often doesn't quite get it right. That said, the Equalizer app is pretty efficient, in my view.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,204 of 4,748

Quote:

At a $100+ less expensive, the more I read, the more the 7550 continues to appeal to me. Not to mention, B&H offers a 3 YR warranty for a very resonable $25, versus the 3 MO Sony offers my 'American' EX1000's. Looking forward to your comparison my friend.

Don't forget the 'American' EX1000, 7550 & EX600 have better QC checks - that's why Sony can afford to only offer a 90-day warranty.  :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,205 of 4,748
With all the action this thread has had, I don't know if any of you saw my earlier post about hiss with the W4.  Anyway I tried a 75ohm adapter I have from a previous TF10.  Sure enough it cleaned it up and now the W4 has a black background and sounds clearer.

Also today I did some more a/b of the W4 and EX1000's listening to tracks with vocals and acoustic guitar only.  Even with the adapter the W4 does NOT produce the vocal detail the EX1000's do.  I can hear lips part, deeper throat vibrato/inflections; strings and vocals sound more realistic with the Sony's.

With the zo I can get a lot of bass texture out of the W4 and even turn them into bass monsters with more impact than the Sony's.  If anyone thinks the W4 sounds thin or bass anemic, then they need to hear them with the zo.  However, once again the EX1000 with the zo sounds more accurate and realistic than the W4's.  Pretty much I've become addicted to the zo and it feels like something is missing without it on my daps; with the macbook pro I don't miss it so much.

Having said all that, I've come to a final declaration between the W4 and EX1000:
EX1000 > W4.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #1,206 of 4,748
One more thing.  I can wear the LL hybrid tips with the Sony's.  They seem to have the perfect angle with my ear, hitting the canal at it's widest point.  I've worn medium tips with all my other phones I've owned.  I would never have imagined I'd wear an LL but they sound best as they are giving me the best isolation.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,207 of 4,748
Good you have you on board shane.
beerchug.gif

My Zo arrived the same day I sold off my W4. Wish I'd have personally gotten the opportunity to hear the Zo with the W4, but you've cleared more than a few doubts. Thank you my friend!
biggrin.gif

I find the EX1000's to be completely versatile, in that if they're coupled with the right tips, isolation is as good as I could ask for. On the other hand, if the occasion calls for it, I can either wear the same tips with a shallow insertion, or even switch tips altogether and retain their open sound, without nearly as much isolation.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,208 of 4,748
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,211 of 4,748
@HOME: PC >> FiiO E7 >> ZO >> EX1000
ON-THE-GO: PHONE >> ZO >> EX1000

I'm well aware that there are certainly 'better' options in the eyes of many (maybe even all
tongue.gif
), with regards to the source, but I fail to see the absolute need for anything otherwise. I'm sure you'd agree all the same, if you heard as I hear.
etysmile.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,213 of 4,748
At first, a Sony Xperia X10, and now, the HTC G2, both exceptional phones! Android all the way! 
biggrin.gif
 Not to mention, I couldn't possibly live without PowerAMP. 10-band EQ, very sensitive bass and treble gain dial, PREAMP gain, multi-file support, and the list goes on.
smile.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #1,214 of 4,748
Wow, nice? Does it support incremental increments (i.e. not sliding up and down on a pane of glass)? I find myself cannot live with the touchscreen technology...Tapping on a hard surface doesn't work for me, which is why I love the Dell Latitude keyboard.

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #1,215 of 4,748
I understand all too well my friend. I simply cannot do with touchscreen keyboards any more, they just can't keep up with the typing speed I'm accustomed to. Hence why I decided to part from the Xperia X10. There aren't fixed increments, it's as sensitive as your touch (pane of glass, if you will). I prefer the latter however, since it allows for much better sensitivity, and in turn, a much more controlled gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back