Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #47 of 4,748
I talked with Dimitri, who is very responsive, about the EX1000.  The cost of a brand new pair would be $600, a $100 premium for the Japanese model - essentially $100 for the short cable.  His open box/display model is $500 which is reasonable.  I just can't justify it though.  Seems the American version is a better buy.  
I won't be buying it any time soon though (sticking to my new year's resolution for at least a little while longer), but I'd love to hear more impressions.  Is the opinion that it's better than the FX700 and much better isolation still valid?  Anybody try Comply tips?  

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #48 of 4,748
Awesome review James. You're of course single-handedly going to be responsible for my very soon and inevitable caving to order a set of these. Thanks so much!!  
mad.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #49 of 4,748

Quote:
Awesome review James. You're of course single-handedly going to be responsible for my very soon and inevitable caving to order a set of these. Thanks so much!!  
mad.gif

Thanks goodness it's you that's going to cave and not me!!

Great review James. I'm really trying hard not to buy any more phones at the moment, apart from maybe a budget back up set for a spare. But I can't help peeking into this thread from time to time, so who knows how long I'll be able to hold out for
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #50 of 4,748
You know you will too eventually!! How sweet would it be to have a portable rig of:  Sony X1000 & EX1000??????  
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #51 of 4,748
Didn't take long... caved already. Ordered. Will be here tomorrow (hopefully). Sounds like they're just so darned good...... 

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #52 of 4,748
Edited first post to include a link section:

Links
Here's a link to tuahogary's YouTube Re-Unboxing video.
Here's a link to DjAmTraX's EX1000 thread, featuring a YouTube unboxing video.
Here's a link to kelv's A/B impressions for Shure se535 and Sony mdr-ex1000.

Quote:
Is the opinion that it's better than the FX700 and much better isolation still valid?  Anybody try Comply tips?  

Isolation is noticably better than with the FX700 for me, but not like night and day better. Don't know about stock tips isolation though.

Quote:
mad.gif

Quote:
Didn't take long... caved already. Ordered. Will be here tomorrow (hopefully). Sounds like they're just so darned good...... 

You know my standard reply in this case is "don't take it personally".
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Thanks goodness it's you that's going to cave and not me!!

Great review James. I'm really trying hard not to buy any more phones at the moment, apart from maybe a budget back up set for a spare. But I can't help peeking into this thread from time to time, so who knows how long I'll be able to hold out for
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Well I thought you and cn11 had an agreement that he's to buy the phones and send them to you?
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #54 of 4,748
I did just that. Set for delivery anytime this morning.... waiting.... not so patiently......

Edit- Got them a little bit ago. Unboxed them, and trying 'em on. The ear loops are really causing me fit difficulty. I can't seem to get them to settle in place right. Feels like I want them to hug tighter around the backs of my ears, but they're too loose and springy and I can't get them tight enough so the earphones stay in place for a proper seal. Also it seems the loop angle relationship to the earphone body is not right for my ears. It kicks the back edge of the earphone body out too far... I feel like I want them to lay more flush with my ears. When I hold them in place, I hear the big effortless sound james has described though. Using the chin slider seems mandatory and I have to cinch it up pretty tight to get those loops to stay put a little better. More time w/fit necessary.... But the hybrid tips do seem to get a decent seal, so I think they'll work for my ears as probably one of the better tips. 

We'll see.....

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #57 of 4,748
Heck yeah it was! I paid for it though... can't wait on slow, free shipping.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Some initial audio impressions:

- Bass: Probably the best I've heard if you factor in depth, cleanliness (not muddying the rest of the range), and tone of the low notes. Wow. Never heard bass like this from an earphone. It's just so textured and lifelike. Not as ultimately deep as the FX700, Radius DDM, IE8, or Atrio, but not too far off in that aspect. However the EX1K more than makes up for it in the character! You can just 'see' the bass drum's volume, as if you were there in concert with a front row seat and you can actually notice the drum skin jumping with each strike.  
- Mids: They're placed just right. You feel a bit closer to the vocalist than with the SM3. But not overly so. Also, to this point, I haven't detected any spoken 'Sssssss' sibilance so far. There's such a nice tone to voices, and you really get a sense of a bass, tenor, soprano, or whatever is the person's natural vocal style is. 
- Treble: Incredibly detailed. It must be more resolved and layered than even the FX700, going by my memory of them. They actually make my SM3s seem just a tad smeared and blurry sounding. I never thought a dynamic driver IEM would do that. I have noted a little harshness here and there though. Seems I can sense that mid-treble spike seen in the frequency graph.

So, I really dig their sound at this point. I hope burn in brings a bit of taming to the edginess in treble. I don't think they have as much bite as the FX700 though. And certainly nowhere near the likes of the FX500 or W3 (both of those from memory). Now if I could just get those darn ear loops to stay put better! Then they'd be close to ideal.. 

Edit- Man do they get along well with the Arrow 3G. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #58 of 4,748
Quote:
Now if I could just get those darn ear loops to stay put better! Then they'd be close to ideal..

Wow, thanks for your up-to-the-minute impressions, feels a bit like watching CNN: "Breaking news, cn11 got his EX1000 ..."
popcorn.gif

As for the ear loops, try bending and twisting them into shape before you put the phones on. IME they stay put better that way.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #59 of 4,748

Quote:
Wow, thanks for your up-to-the-minute impressions, feels a bit like watching CNN: "Breaking news, cn11 got his EX1000 ..."
popcorn.gif

As for the ear loops, try bending and twisting them into shape before you put the phones on. IME they stay put better that way.

Ha ha, glad to be the audio reporter. Maybe I should hit up CES one of these years and do some impressions on the fly. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have tried the bending beforehand, but they just sort of seem to shift back to the original placement. The only thing that's saving fit for me with these is the chin slider. Otherwise all would be futile with fit on these (for me). I have a few more tips to try out at home though.... 

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #60 of 4,748
Okay @ James and Chris, now when are you guys going to join me in the customs plane? There are so many seemingly decent custom companies out there now that are allowing to you get a pair around the same price as the universals you are purchasing. Don't get me wrong, I think universals will always have their place, but these customs are taking sound - for me - to a whole other level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back